WBP Expanding in 2013?

April 17, 2013, 8:25 a.m.

Do they do flowy-jumpy trails like Dirt Merchant, A-Line and Freight Train? Or is it mostly natural, whatever is there type stuff?

it's mostly unmaintained, super braided, confusing trails around Morzine…and lots of 'rogue' trails. Their braking bumps make Whistler's look like little teeny weeny babies.

April 17, 2013, 9:36 a.m.

it's mostly unmaintained, super braided, confusing trails around Morzine…and lots of 'rogue' trails. Their braking bumps make Whistler's look like little teeny weeny babies.

This.

Water running down the trail in Morzine is their idea of 'trail maintenance'.

April 17, 2013, 10:40 a.m.

Tough crowd I guess…

April 17, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

Tough crowd I guess…

Seriously… My humorous youtubes were hilarious.

April 18, 2013, 6:13 a.m.

Yeah, my bad. Looks like the number I gave above was for the Winter tickets. Which makes a mockery of WB ski passes also…

Still, my point stands. A week's pass for ~ 15 lifts and a vast amount of terrain for ~$140, vs WB pass at $150 for 3 days and 2 lifts.

have you been there? do you know the difference in quality of the trails? the difference in trail maintenance? do you know that you have to pedal a lot to reach every region depending on where you started? no fun on a dh bike.

i rather spend a month in whistler than in pds, for sure. and pay the adequate price for increased service and quality.

April 18, 2013, 6:14 a.m.

Tough crowd I guess…

if you have ever been to whistler, it kind of ruins the experience in the other parks after that…

April 18, 2013, 7:40 a.m.

I've had a season's pass the last 6 years. I've also had the pleasure of riding parks all over BC, Europe, and the Eastern US. Guess I just didn't get the memo that one may not talk ill of Whistler once having visited.

April 18, 2013, 7:57 a.m.

I've never road a park in Europe, which is why I asked how they compare.

April 18, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

I've had a season's pass the last 6 years. I've also had the pleasure of riding parks all over BC, Europe, and the Eastern US. Guess I just didn't get the memo that one may not talk ill of Whistler once having visited.

i dont get what your problem is? clearly every park i visited in europe so far (and thats a lot) falls back compaired to whistler. so why is it bad if they ask for a higher pricer while having advantages over other parks that dont invest that much in their parks? whistler ist the only park who gets what riders want in my opinion. even the little details like offering water in the waiting line is something i liked very much, yet no park in europe copied that (and it wouldn't even be a big invest). they just build the trails, take your money and thats it. service is something they all lack…

April 18, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

i dont get what your problem is? clearly every park i visited in europe so far (and thats a lot) falls back compaired to whistler. so why is it bad if they ask for a higher pricer while having advantages over other parks that dont invest that much in their parks? whistler isn't the only park who gets what riders want in my opinion. even the little details like offering water in the waiting line is something i liked very much, yet no park in europe copied that (and it wouldn't even be a big invest). they just build the trails, take your money and thats it. service is something they all lack…

Out of interest, which do you think costs more per day, running a JCB and paying 5 trail workers, or running ~ 11 extra chairlifts/gondolas and associated lifties/maintenance crews?

Note I never said anything about which is the better riding experience. I could make damn convincing cases for either. I also conceded that PdS does far less in the way of trail upkeep in my very first post.

My initial point was that WB charge way more than PdS, and, based on the cost of PdS and what that money gets you, a huge amount of the money charged by WB goes into lining shareholders pockets and generating hype.

April 18, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

I could make damn convincing cases for either.

Could you make a case using lasers? If so please do.

April 18, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

Out of interest, which do you think costs more per day, running a JCB and paying 5 trail workers, or running ~ 11 extra chairlifts/gondolas and associated lifties/maintenance crews?

lets calc:
season pass in pds: 233,- eur for 2 months (june 28th - sep 1st), most lifts close at 17:00,
season pass in whistler: 409,- (+tax) for 5 months, extendend play in the main months, at least double the trails

i know that les gets has some trail workers, also chatel and ben walker in morgins. i never saw anywhere else someone working on trails.

when it rains in pds no one gives a fuck, all trails are open, even if there are big, deep mudholes that do no good to any trail. in whistler i experienced trail closures when there was bad weather to save them.

the trail sweep done in whistler after each day? never heard of in any resort i visited yet. 2 trucks on the mountain to rescue fallen riders? thats taken care of by the mountain rescue service in europe.

there are also a lot more hikers than in whistler who also use the lifts. so in total i still think whistler is spot on with its pricing, maybe not for the one staying only 2 weeks there, but for a months riding i am more than willing to pay 400eur to ride, if only the airline prices would still be in the region of 2010 :(

May 3, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

Anybody heard any scuttlebutt about what trails will be good to go on opening weekend? I seem to recall that Dirt Merchant was a bit late in opening last year. That S-turn section before the bridge can be pretty mucky early season.

Thread killer

May 3, 2013, 11:54 p.m.

Anybody heard any scuttlebutt about what trails will be good to go on opening weekend? I seem to recall that Dirt Merchant was a bit late in opening last year. That S-turn section before the bridge can be pretty mucky early season.

Dirty is always last it seems. But it's going to be fucking hot the next 14 days.

May 4, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

On the WBP Instagram page, they say they are working on getting DM open on opening weekend… pretty sure that would be a first (as far as I remember!)