WBP 21

March 17, 2021, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

Rumors of not opening are wild fabrications, I have heard nothing but positive rumblings for the summer. Extended play is on the table but as with so many things, it hinges on non-local decisions. 

Summer 21 is looking great.

Perfect. Excited to get a full season this year. Last year, the trail crew did an amazing job, and made it a great season, even considering the screwed up year.

To Shoreboy, I don't want to be a dick, but here is some data for cases and vaccination: https://www.quiverquant.com/sources/covid/CANADA

Cases are relatively flat, vaccinations are up like crazy.

March 17, 2021, 5 p.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Rumors of not opening are wild fabrications, I have heard nothing but positive rumblings for the summer. Extended play is on the table but as with so many things, it hinges on non-local decisions. 

Perfect. Excited to get a full season this year. Last year, the trail crew did an amazing job, and made it a great season, even considering the screwed up year.

To Shoreboy, I don't want to be a dick, but here is some data for cases and vaccination: https://www.quiverquant.com/sources/covid/CANADA

Food for thought...

While the current trend of new cases is relatively flat, compared to summer time last year the current daily case counts are about 10x higher.

March 17, 2021, 6:06 p.m.

Is it just me, or do other riders like killing it at Mach 3 thru Shady Acres & DBV? I know they are green trails & I am always extra considerate of any beginner riders I see, but if no one is around, look out!

March 17, 2021, 7:19 p.m.

I was just taking about that with a buddy last night,  if you can get a clear stretch then those trails are some of the best in the park IMO.

I am always SUPER careful not to pressure any riders on those trails because beginners have right off way on easier / green trails in my eyes. Not sure what the official rules are but I always yield to slower riders in situations like that.

March 17, 2021, 9:13 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I was just taking about that with a buddy last night,  if you can get a clear stretch then those trails are some of the best in the park IMO.

I am always SUPER careful not to pressure any riders on those trails because beginners have right off way on easier / green trails in my eyes. Not sure what the official rules are but I always yield to slower riders in situations like that.

I believe that Green/Blue = slower rider gets right of way. Black/Double = faster rider gets ROW.

Agreed that those trails are great. When I take my sister up, I warm up with her on those. She has started to like to feeling of speed there, but nowhere else....

March 17, 2021, 9:21 p.m.

Dirt Merch -> Shady -> DBV -> A-Line = One of the best laps ever.

And ya, if I run into anyone on the green bit, I stop 10-15 bikes behind and stay quiet.

March 18, 2021, 10:42 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

I would think that your using Canada wide data when we are talking about BC isnt the best choice. In the last month, the 7 day moving average for cases in BC (Feb 15 - Mar 15) has gone from 420 to 543. That is an increase of almost 25% in the last month. I would not call that 'relatively flat'.

As for vaccines, the ramp up is going well, but we have a long way to go. So far there are only ~87,000 people fully vaccinated, and ~350,000 with their first shot. Thats less than 2% of the BC population fully vaccinated, and 7% with their first shot. In my opinion, the province should be moving to vaccinating the 20-40yr old population at the same time as the seniors. Now that the LTC homes have been vaccinated, the death rate is falling. If we want to see a drop in cases, we need to vaccinate the group that seems to have the most problem adhering to the Covid protocols and showing the highest case count.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 18, 2021, 10:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Dirt Merch -> Shady -> DBV -> A-Line = One of the best laps ever.

And ya, if I run into anyone on the green bit, I stop 10-15 bikes behind and stay quiet.

This.

March 18, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

I would hate to scare someone who is just learning. One bad experience can ruin it for some folks. I just stop & wait for a bit before I continue.

Edit; Talking WBP has got me amped. The stoke is building.

Last edited by: Stuminator on March 18, 2021, 6:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2021, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I would hate to scare someone who is just learning. One bad experience can ruin it for some folks. I just stop & wait for a bit before I continue.

Having bear walk out on EZ-does-it when taking my 10 yr old daughter through WBP for the first time almost did that.

March 21, 2021, 6:12 p.m.

According to the DFX email just received, extended play is on. Stoked

March 26, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

So any chance they are going to drop the summer pass prices as they are the winter ones...?

March 26, 2021, 11:12 a.m.

EXTENDED PLAY CONFIRMED FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/explore-the-park/hours-of-operation.aspx

March 26, 2021, 6:04 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

EXTENDED PLAY CONFIRMED FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/explore-the-park/hours-of-operation.aspx

Dont get too excited just yet. Things aren't going well right now. No idea if harsher restrictions might come back in place, but Id guess it's a definite possibility.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

March 29, 2021, 1:36 p.m.

Whistler ski season is being shut down for the next 3 weeks. 'Circuit breaker' restrictions coming into effect today.