WBP 20

Aug. 8, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

Posted by: DaveM

Just to avoid confusion on the day of, I can pre-purchase a lift ticket online? But do I still have to wait in a ticket line to get the pass?

For anyone else wondering. I pre-purchased a lift ticket online. Unfortunately the weather was a bit iffy so I didn't do it until the morning so I still had to wait in the line for the ticket window to get my pass (about 15 minutes). If I would have done it the night before I could have just picked up my pass at the red tent where there was no wait at all, and got into the lift line.

I rode on Thursday, the Fitz chair was down so all traffic was on the Gondola. The first couple of runs there was only about a 15 minute wait, by about 2pm it was around 30 minutes or so. Doing peak to village runs made it not so bad and the nice long runs were good for getting acquainted with the new bike. I got off mid-station and took the Garbo chair up one run, I think I was the only one doing that as I didn't see another person on the garbo chair all day.

I didn't ride Friday (took a bit of a spill and tweaked my ankle/knee at the end of Thursday) but the Fitz was still down and the gondola lines were substantial from what I saw wandering around the village in the afternoon.

Conditions were really, really good though. I don't think I've ever seen such a lack of braking bumps ever.

Last edited by: DaveM on Aug. 8, 2020, 12:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2020, 6:28 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Posted by: grambo

Fitz is 21 years old now. Time for a new 6/8 pack? We can dream, but ROI is too low since it ain't much use in the winter other than defraying gondi lines and moving people out of sight to Garbo. I'd probably vote for a 6 pack on Red instead for more VD lapping in the winter.

Gotta agree. The only times I see lines on it during the winter are pow days and New Years. No real reason for them to upgrade it, at least as the winter season is concerned. Especially because the winter Garbo line would then be absolutely massive.

Summer, however, is the only real reason for them to change it to a 6. I doubt they would bother with an 8 anywhere that is open during the summer. Imaging having 8 people trying to load bikes at once, with even 1 or 2 not knowing how to load, it's screwed. 6 person chair is still pretty tough for some people - anyone have a photo of how the bike tray would look like on a 6?

how they do it in winterberg:

https://youtu.be/NnMVLcInmZU

3 riders and bikes per chair, no extra carrier, should be faster than 4 riders/bikes every other chair, bonus points, no lifties needed on the top station

Last edited by: Sethimus on Aug. 9, 2020, 6:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2020, 9:25 a.m.

I'll start the GoFundeMe right now...

Aug. 9, 2020, 9:31 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

For the lifties right?

Aug. 9, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

For the lifties right?

There’s no way you couldn’t have two lifties at the top and bottom.. people will still fuck up

Aug. 9, 2020, 5:51 p.m.

You’re counting on people riding the park to have the dexterity and strength to remove their own bike. You must be new here 😂

Aug. 10, 2020, 8:06 a.m.

The top station of the chair lift in Winterberg is a lot longer than in all other chair lifts I've seen, certainly a lot longer than Fitz and Garbo. See the video above at around 1 min.

That means the chairs are off the (fast) cable for a lot longer as they go through the station really slowly. This gives even people with impaired dexterity plenty of time to unload the bike themselves. 

It's kind of the same thing with the gondolas: they also stay in the station a lot longer and move slower than chairs. The reason this is so stressful on a standard chairlift even for the trained lifties is that it is designed to spit skiers out as quickly and possible and then turn around. 

Winterberg is at such a low altitude that at least for this one lift the summer bike season must be a lot more important than the winter season. That's why I suspect they built a lift that works really well for bikes. The same could be done for Fitz.

Aug. 10, 2020, 12:24 p.m.

From the Whistler Blackcomb Twitter, Fitz remains closed until Wednesday, and sightseeing is uploading from Balckcomb Gondola until then.

Aug. 11, 2020, 12:34 p.m.

If you’re thinking of coming to ride while Fitz is down.. it took me one hour to get to the top.  I’d suggest not planning on using it.

In other news, that new Crank It Up jump at the end of Rutabaga can fuck off.

Aug. 11, 2020, 8:24 p.m.

If you’re thinking of coming to ride while Fitz is down.. it took me one hour to get to the top.  I’d suggest not planning on using it.

Did you pedal up? 😂

Aug. 12, 2020, 10:23 a.m.

Which one? The final step up, or the weird step-down? or another jump?

Aug. 12, 2020, 11:47 a.m.

It's the new one right where it merges with Pro-Line DM, before the bridge.

Aug. 12, 2020, 4:32 p.m.

If you’re thinking of coming to ride while Fitz is down.. it took me one hour to get to the top. I’d suggest not planning on using it.

It's the new one right where it merges with Pro-Line DM, before the bridge.

Understandable. It is awful, really weird kick to it with any speed. 

It can suck my ass.

Last edited by: Angu58 on Aug. 12, 2020, 10:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 13, 2020, 1:18 p.m.

Just rode DM today. It's finally gone! no weird kick, just a normal jump in its place.

2020 Santa Cruz V10 29

2020 Specialized Enduro

Aug. 13, 2020, 6:53 p.m.

Yup, much better!!