WBP 20

July 30, 2020, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: idle

Posted by: ReductiMat

Today my friend had to help down a 10? year old kid down to his father from mid to the shark fin. 

He was rightfully scared as fuck and the dad was an absolute piece of human garbage.

Fuck any of you who would do that for whatever reason.  I hope to meet you in person.

I've had a similar experience, but it was a few years back.  Young girl around that age crashed early into B-Line (I want to say just after where it now splits to Funshine) and her derailleur was jamming the rear wheel badly enough it would no longer turn.  Her entire family, father, mother, and a sibling, left her there and said they'd meet her at the village so they wouldn't miss their lap.

I couldn't free the wheel, so I carried her bike down to the service road while she rolled mine.  A patrol guy came by shortly and helped her down to the village.

Poor thing was apologizing for me having to 'ruin my lap' to help her.  Ugh.

Some people have such a weird mentality about riding in the park.

Holy hell, that poor kid... I just can't imagine how anyone can think this way.

July 30, 2020, 1:07 p.m.

How the lineups in the park these days?  Thinking of heading up for the weekend but 45min waits at FITZ will be a deal breaker for me

July 30, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

We used to have a thread on here just for that.

July 30, 2020, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: flattire2

How the lineups in the park these days?  Thinking of heading up for the weekend but 45min waits at FITZ will be a deal breaker for me

It ebbs and flows.  Garbo is quiet, so if you like that zone you can pretty much ride direct-to-lift all day.

COVID has made Fitz a nightmare at times, no doubt.

July 30, 2020, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I remember that!  I may have posted the same anecdote in that thread, actually.  

It was a no brainer to help her, really.  I couldn't believe her family had just left her there.  She was scraped up, too.  Who leaves an injured child behind?

July 30, 2020, 5:14 p.m.

Nice of you to help her out, Idle. You can't compare missing out on a lap or 2 to helping a fellow rider out. Especially a youngster. She prolly got in trouble from mom & dad when she got to the bottom.

From what I have seen the weekends are busy. Monday & Wednesday were fine but Tuesday was busy. Like has been said...ebbs & flows. I wonder if anyone is claiming that they are related to the person beside them, just to get on the chair faster. But hey, at least the park is open, gotta be happy about that.

July 30, 2020, 5:26 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Need that back. Or just another WPB thread to discuss random other things about the bike park.

Today my friend had to help down a 10? year old kid down to his father from mid to the shark fin. 

He was rightfully scared as fuck and the dad was an absolute piece of human garbage.

Fuck any of you who would do that for whatever reason.  I hope to meet you in person.

I've had a similar experience, but it was a few years back.  Young girl around that age crashed early into B-Line (I want to say just after where it now splits to Funshine) and her derailleur was jamming the rear wheel badly enough it would no longer turn.  Her entire family, father, mother, and a sibling, left her there and said they'd meet her at the village so they wouldn't miss their lap.

I couldn't free the wheel, so I carried her bike down to the service road while she rolled mine.  A patrol guy came by shortly and helped her down to the village.

Poor thing was apologizing for me having to 'ruin my lap' to help her.  Ugh.

Holy hell, that poor kid... I just can't imagine how anyone can think this way.

Saw a kid who was probably 9 with a rental bike, and the wheel came off on Crank It Up. Hurt badly, likely a broken shoulder, and his dad just screaming at him, talking about how stupid he was, how he wanted to slap him. Just disgusting, and it wasn't even his fault. Before his dad walked up the trail to scream at him, I looked over the bike, which had a destroyed axle. Looked like the rental shop didn't tighten it properly.

That guy was such an asshole, wouldn't let me say what happened, and just kept screaming random stuff.

July 31, 2020, 8:35 a.m.

jesus. and i thought mountain biking was a serene oasis free of aggrosportsparents. the park certainly attracts a different crowd.

July 31, 2020, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

jesus. and i thought mountain biking was a serene oasis free of aggrosportsparents. the park certainly attracts a different crowd.

For what it's worth, for every one of the parents I see above, I see one hundred well-adjusted families being awesome and having a great time...

July 31, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

I'm definitely going to make sure I berate, harass, intimidate, physically threaten, mentally and emotionally abuse, shame and eventually abandon my son on the hill on our trips to the bike park so he gets the full experience and isn't driven away from the sport at all.

Last edited by: thaaad on July 31, 2020, 11:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 31, 2020, 2:15 p.m.

For what it's worth, for every one of the parents I see above, I see one hundred well-adjusted families being awesome and having a great time...

oh for sure. in my *many* years of riding both park & trail, i've never witnessed such a display of assholery; we're a pretty chill group as a whole.   

sp back to wbp - planning on heading up within the next few days, deliberating when; quite a bit quieter on weekdays?

July 31, 2020, 3:19 p.m.

Reminds me of my brief stint racing BMX in the 90's.... Aggro parents yelling at their kids / other peoples kids / other parents.... it was a shit show.

July 31, 2020, 3:26 p.m.

Quieter, some of the really hot days have been really quiet in the afternoon. Busy long weekend coming up

Last edited by: Kevin26 on July 31, 2020, 10:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 31, 2020, 9 p.m.

oh for sure. in my *many* years of riding both park & trail, i've never witnessed such a display of assholery; we're a pretty chill group as a whole.   

sp back to wbp - planning on heading up within the next few days, deliberating when; quite a bit quieter on weekdays?

If you have ever driven up on a bluebird 30CM powder day you’d understand the reason for that type of vehicle lineup on power line hill today.

Shits gonna be fucked.

Aug. 1, 2020, 3:06 p.m.

After a few years of not riding WBP, I'm looking forward to getting a day or 2 in next week. I picked up a new (to me) dh bike, we'll see how it goes.

Just to avoid confusion on the day of, I can pre-purchase a lift ticket online? But do I still have to wait in a ticket line to get the pass?