WBP 19

Oct. 8, 2019, 7:01 p.m.

I think these are some of the coolest temps we've had during normal park season. It was very near -10 at the peak this morning apparently. 

This morning, ice melt had to be used on the woodwork in the upper half of Fitz. 

It's being closed for 2 reasons afaik: 

one is ice all over the trails. Not just snow, big stretches of proper ice. 

Second reason is people. Imagine being dressed for village temps of say 5 degrees. You get on Garbo and the chair stops for half an hour while you're two towers from the top. It's now -5C and blowing 50kmh with gusts pushing 70. How many hypothermic people do you now need to deal with? All so a handful of people can go ride in ice and mud? In the process putting patrollers at risk by making them ride on frozen nonsense? 

It's not my call at all but IMO opening garbo today would have been silly. So would wanting to go up there. 

Will it open again this fall? Maybe, but with city temps forecast to be between 1and 3 degrees the next two days, I'd expect -5 at top of Fitz so I can't see it happening in the next couple days. Besides, it's wet as hell or frozen icy crisp up there. just enjoy the part of the park that's actually riding well, no?

Oct. 11, 2019, 8:16 a.m.

heading up right now. Garbo looks frozen, and so does Fitz from instagram. Looking forward to the last weekend on my Norco, after 3 seasons of park, westside, and shore.

Oct. 11, 2019, 10:08 a.m.

Today looks likely to be the nicest day between now and closing with tomorrow also looking pretty alright. If Garbo doesn't open today/tomorrow, then that'll be it folks. 

Enjoy the sunset!

Oct. 11, 2019, 12:28 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

Today looks likely to be the nicest day between now and closing with tomorrow also looking pretty alright. If Garbo doesn't open today/tomorrow, then that'll be it folks. 

Enjoy the sunset!

I seriously regret not coming up today lol

Oct. 11, 2019, 5:38 p.m.

Park was good. Buddy went OTB on the last Little Rock kicker on lower Angry Pirate, where it meets Crabs. Park was muddy and really slow, more so than normal mud. Garbo was really cold, and Fitz was nice with my flannel shirt. I hope the weather holds good, doesn't freeze, and that lines aren't too bad tomorrow.

Oct. 11, 2019, 10:20 p.m.

i hope it refreezes so i can ride more dirt merchant.

Oct. 12, 2019, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

Park was good. Buddy went OTB on the last Little Rock kicker on lower Angry Pirate, where it meets Crabs. Park was muddy and really slow, more so than normal mud. Garbo was really cold, and Fitz was nice with my flannel shirt. I hope the weather holds good, doesn't freeze, and that lines aren't too bad tomorrow.

I've been riding with my blue flannel for the last 3 days. It's been great, not epic due to the slop and the mud. But what a great finish to the riding season. 

I pounded out 43 Whistler park days this year. I never thought I would match my age in park days. 3 crashes, bruised ribs, a sore shoulder, and a ton of great memories. It's been a hell of a season.

The parking lots are full of yankie plates already, so I'm going to opt out of the park today. Thank you Nickel, and the trail crew for making this one of the best years of riding Whistler since 2006.

Oct. 12, 2019, 11:16 a.m.

I saw what I think is the new YT Capra CF Pro in the park today. White and burgundy colour scheme, kind of like this https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2020?tid=72 but without the orange decals. Full Rockshox build.

Oct. 12, 2019, 9:13 p.m.

I saw what I think is the new YT Capra CF Pro in the park today. White and burgundy colour scheme, kind of like this https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2020?tid=72 but without the orange decals. Full Rockshox build.

Did it look like it could have a water bottle cage?

Oct. 12, 2019, 10:54 p.m.

Today I learned rain is good and freezing is bad. 

The hoar frost has fucked us over for the last bit but this morning was really good (until I blew three spokes and called it).

... at least from what I can gather.  I'm no geologist.

Oct. 13, 2019, 12:24 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Did it look like it could have a water bottle cage?

No. Same frame, different spec + colours. Too bad, though.

Oct. 13, 2019, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Today I learned rain is good and freezing is bad. 

The hoar frost has fucked us over for the last bit but this morning was really good (until I blew three spokes and called it).

... at least from what I can gather.  I'm no geologist.

We're calling it dirt hoar (future trail name patent pending) and it is indeed bad. 

It's what makes everything so nice and soft in the spring but it really fucks things having it happen ever night and then biking on it.

Oct. 14, 2019, 2:28 p.m.

So how many days did people get in the park this year?

Oct. 14, 2019, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

So how many days did people get in the park this year?

An even 50.

Oct. 14, 2019, 6:03 p.m.

I think about 80 but some is work

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Oct. 14, 2019, 6:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.