WBP 19

Oct. 4, 2019, 7:27 a.m.

for anyone who didn't catch it, Garbo opened yesterday. There's a new thing hiding in the woods for you where duffman meets the end of sidetrack. It'll stay open in theory unless it pours rain.

Oct. 4, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: Kieran

Posted by: ReductiMat

If anyone plans on coming over Thanksgiving weekend, and we have a sunny perfect day and you can do any Fitz lap in less than ten minutes, please let me know if you want to get an afternoon lesson.  The buddy I've done this with can't do it this year.

We don't have to do the same trails at all.  I will be jumping but you can go do Lower Joyride to your hearts content.

You get to do a Conner McGregor walk to the front of the stupidly long line all afternoon and it will be worth it if you like the bike park.

How much coin are you talking Matt?

I had an epic day in the park yesterday. Solo laps but still good fun. Finally got my jump groove back on after a summer of injury. Dwayne was so good to hit again!

Not hoping for terrible weather on Thanksgiving but it would be good if it looked questionable to keep most people out of the park.

I'm with you on a sketchy weather forecast for sure.  Just no snow please!

It was just me and my buddy last year and I think it was around $100...

Sounds good. I'm looking to ride Sunday all day. Sat too, but not sure what time I will be available to ride (parent duties).

Oct. 4, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

for anyone who didn't catch it, Garbo opened yesterday. There's a new thing hiding in the woods for you where duffman meets the end of sidetrack. It'll stay open in theory unless it pours rain.

YES!!!!!

Oct. 5, 2019, 10:15 a.m.

What's upthere? haven't been up since early September, but going today.

Oct. 5, 2019, 10:57 a.m.

In the end it will become Duffman methinks. Single black mostly loamer with some slabs.

There's no sign yet so keep your eyes open. Bypasses the entire skidroad portion of old duffman. Goal is to make it more attractive to ride sidetrack, Mackenzie river, no duff or duffman from the split with freight train by having something better to ride at the end. 

Hope you like it!

Oct. 5, 2019, 3:12 p.m.

In the end it will become Duffman methinks. Single black mostly loamer with some slabs.

There's no sign yet so keep your eyes open. Bypasses the entire skidroad portion of old duffman. Goal is to make it more attractive to ride sidetrack, Mackenzie river, no duff or duffman from the split with freight train by having something better to ride at the end. 

Hope you like it!

thanks. Couldn't get up today, but probably tomorrow.

Oct. 5, 2019, 6:04 p.m.

Hope you like it!

That sounds awesome. The road was a bummer.

Oct. 5, 2019, 10:53 p.m.

Yeah one of my biggest mistakes at Whis this year was not exploring those enough and just doing FT to the lift. 

Mackenzie River and Duffman are awesome. Took me too long to learn that.

Oct. 7, 2019, 10:28 p.m.

Hey nickel, how do you keep your hands warm when it's near freezing up in garbo?

This is my first season sans-gloves, and I find I'm using cold fingers as an excuse for riding like a hack.

Oct. 8, 2019, 8:49 a.m.

Stop riding garbo? i also find palming my brake levers when stopped helps keep them warm. the worst is when your brake finger goes numb so warming up the metal is key.

Oct. 8, 2019, 2:29 p.m.

Will Garbo be open for the closing weekend?

Last edited by: Kieran on Oct. 8, 2019, 2:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2019, 3:13 p.m.

Closed today, maybe snowed last night I think it's probably a day by day basis with the weather.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Oct. 8, 2019, 5:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2019, 3:48 p.m.

Is this a new thing closing Garbo when it snows? I recall many times getting fresh tracks in the snow on my way down.

Oct. 8, 2019, 4:45 p.m.

The other week it snowed a lot up there so obviously makes sense if it's completely unrideable, don't know about today it was really cold and barely anyone in the park.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Oct. 8, 2019, 5:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2019, 6:28 p.m.

Must’ve been an Arctic Outflow today. 

I don’t pedal on ALine and pretty much came to a stop before the bridge before the GLC jump.

I’ve never experienced that one before.. 

The prospect of going up to Garbo didn’t cross my mind at all.