WBP 19

Sept. 16, 2019, 9:47 a.m.

I rode saturday and sunday, trying to take advantage of breaks in the heavy rains. 

The trails were greasy and sticky at the same time, and a ton of fun. The wood was dangerous, along with about 25% of the rocks. But it was awesome to get out and play in the mud. I have to admit, watching Hardline replays yesterday morning, and seeing what those guys had to race down inspired me to get out on sunday for a few laps.

Day #38 in the books. I was hoping for 43 to match my age, but that looks like it could be tough. 

Can I make 40 days before my body, or the weather gives out?

Sept. 20, 2019, 2:59 p.m.

Pretty much perfect out there right now. except the lines. and the slow people. I've really noticed that people just don't seem to wanna get out of the way. Tailed someone pretty much from the del boca entrance to aline all the way, across the flats, then they looked over their shoulder, saw me sitting down right behind them and still proceeded.

Sept. 20, 2019, 6:10 p.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

Pretty much perfect out there right now. except the lines. and the slow people. I've really noticed that people just don't seem to wanna get out of the way. Tailed someone pretty much from the del boca entrance to aline all the way, across the flats, then they looked over their shoulder, saw me sitting down right behind them and still proceeded.

In fairness, DBV is not a trail on which they are supposed to get out of the way for you. You should be the one pulling over and waiting. Green trail and all that. A-line? Wait a reasonable amount of time and then inside them. It goes both ways. Respect the slower riders on green and blue, teach lessons on black, double black and pro line.

Sept. 20, 2019, 7:22 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

In fairness, DBV is not a trail on which they are supposed to get out of the way for you. You should be the one pulling over and waiting. Green trail and all that. A-line? Wait a reasonable amount of time and then inside them. It goes both ways. Respect the slower riders on green and blue, teach lessons on black, double black and pro line.

It would be awesome to see this attitude exhibited on local trails as well, not just in the parks.

Sept. 21, 2019, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

Sorry I meant i caught them at the junction from where you would jump on A-line if you came out of DBV. All of us were on aline the whole time. 100% never get upset on blues or lower if someone is slow and doesn't pull over.

Sept. 22, 2019, 8:41 a.m.

Sorry I meant i caught them at the junction from where you would jump on A-line if you came out of DBV. All of us were on aline the whole time. 100% never get upset on blues or lower if someone is slow and doesn't pull over.

Bummer. There's definitely been a lot of that going on and it's unfortunate. Hard one to convince marketing to tackle.

Sept. 22, 2019, 10:17 a.m.

Noticed a bunch of blue flags on upper aline... are we getting a full irrigation system for A-Line next year?

Sept. 22, 2019, 1:08 p.m.

yes. it was meant to go in earlier this year but stuff happens. it also rained a lot which let us off the hook. B-line next in line for irrigation. 

May as well drop a little update while we're on the topic of new stuff. 

We've been working on a reroute for the end of duffman to get it off the old road bed after the merge with side track. this is very near completion and we're hoping to give it to the people before end of season if weather permits. 

New weasel juice extension also nearing completion although moisture content means you'll have to wait until next year to be able to connect weasel to blueberry without riding expressway. 

Lots of stuff happening in 1199. I hope people can stay out of there and not go looking for it as we're excited to offer a full product when the time is right. Don't go trying to peek at the gifts before Christmas morning. 

Upper CIU is going to go under the knife soon so expect closures there. We will be able to keep Fantastic open for most of the remainder of the season to be able to access lower CIU and C-More, although that may change.

Sept. 22, 2019, 4:10 p.m.

So stoked on 1199. Whoever came up with the name is a genius.

Will the Weasel extension be accessible off In Deep?

Sept. 22, 2019, 4:12 p.m.

I rode Mackenzie River for the first time yesterday- loved it- and I could hear the saws working away either from it of off of Duffman, which I need to ride more often than I do also. 

I stick to what I know too much. I need to explore the park more than I have. Sad that I only discovered MR on what easily could have been my last day of the year at the Park.

Sept. 22, 2019, 4:21 p.m.

What's 1199? I must be dumb.

Sept. 22, 2019, 5:15 p.m.

1199, named as a (slightly subtle) tribute to Stevie is going to be our new race track which is moving to creekside. Expect a wild beast of a trail well off the beaten path. It's name comes from Stevie's points tally from the year he took the overall WC crown.

Sept. 22, 2019, 5:17 p.m.

The weasel extension is not accessible from In Deep, other than a refurb on Little Alder which will sort of be incorporated into the blue connector. If that question comes from a lengthy closure of In Deep at the fatcrobat split, it's because the meeting area at bottom of In Deep and top of Little Alder has been the site of much machine activity lately and required closing In Deep to modify the exit as well as keep people out for safety reasons.

Sept. 27, 2019, 4:22 p.m.

I know it's early days with 1199 (super stoked on the entire project and the possibility of WCDH @ Whistler in the future), but is it known whether the entire track will be rideable by the public, or just sections? Thinking of Canadian Open with the whoops/Heckler and final chute, road gap etc. sections which are race only.

Crazy how much new stuff has been built/rebuilt in the park the last few years, I still remember reading the online complaining about a lack of new stuff and look where we are today and more is coming. Hats off to all involved.

Sept. 27, 2019, 4:42 p.m.

Hey nickel, any chance you guys can throw a sheet or two of plywood in front of the crab turns rock in front of jump 2?