WBP 19

Aug. 30, 2019, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

what exactly is the on-off berm? you mean the berm after the up box but before the drop over ezdi? Just hang a right before the drop and peddle across after atlantis dog!  You'll be missing all the best parts of the merchant though.

That's the one, should have said the berm after the on-off.  And I do pedal up that massive hill :D

I agree about the good bits on Dirt Merch, but it'd also be cool if you could do a jump trail and hit crabs all in one flow.

(Hooray for a killer season btw!)

Aug. 30, 2019, 12:56 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I didn't think Sabretooth was that rowdy. Perhaps much different in the wet.

I do like the trail, and thought it was awesome when it first opened. But after a day of rain the wet roots and greasy mud make it a true double black.

Posted by: Kevin26

Mid guard is a blue that gets you to creek without going on cross roads, starts higher up though

Another great trail, for sure. But taking either Mid Gard, or Miss Fire means taking another lift to the top of Garbo. With Big Red not spinning this past season, it made it tougher to get to that side of the hill. Especially when you're trying to avoid the village. I'm just thinking that Creekside is such a great flow zone, it would be nice to have other options to avoid the road when lapping creekside. 

For the record, I did put that into the trail engaged crew, lol.  I get such a kick out of Pete and his videos.

Aug. 30, 2019, 3:49 p.m.

There is no sugar coating it; Crossroads is not great. There is also no sugarcoating how near impossible it is to put a blue trail across there without a lot of dynamite.

Sept. 2, 2019, 10:27 p.m.

The second saddest day is upon us.

For the rest of 2019 we must look up Fitz after 5 and say, "WTF DUDES, EASE US OFF THIS SHIT".  But no.

5:00PM.

Cunce.

Sept. 3, 2019, 12:39 a.m.

Hey nickel, I'm guessing you have an in with Trail Engaged.

If you can put an in with me on this type of shit, I will buy you your favourite diet beverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OChWuCPc

tldr; STOP FUCKING STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING TRAIL.  Perhaps they could put up signs saying your sexual prowess is being lessened by a Quantum Field or somesuch.

(Guest appearance by Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez1ts)

Sept. 3, 2019, 7:38 a.m.

Thanks for the reminder and leading the train^.

For the lower mainlanders: Grand Fondo on Saturday. Sea to Sky delays early-4:30pm I believe.

Sept. 3, 2019, 7:17 p.m.

yeah i hate it too. there's already signs, but no one reads them. 

Have you tried beating them within an inch of their lives? Private-citizen me is a big fan of drive-by verbal abuse and roosting.

Professional me thinks that's just awful.  YMMV.

Sept. 3, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Ive just yelled "DON'T BLOCK THE TRAIL" as I've gone by in the past. Simple, to the point, no room for argument.

Fuck 'em.

Sept. 3, 2019, 11 p.m.

7:30 close times to 5:00 pm close times are seriously a war crime.

Sept. 4, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

There is no sugar coating it; Crossroads is not great. There is also no sugarcoating how near impossible it is to put a blue trail across there without a lot of dynamite.

I guess that's just the nature of creekside and it's steep natural terrain. 

Funny thing is, my boy is now riding harder and faster than me, so the need for a blue trail isn't what it was back in May. That said, a cruise up to the top of Garbo to take MidGaard or MissFire down is a supremely fun lap. 

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Thanks for the reminder and leading the train^.

For the lower mainlanders: Grand Fondo on Saturday. Sea to Sky delays early-4:30pm I believe.

Ugh!

Thank you for the heads up. The paving they were doing under the Alta pedi overpass yesterday really messed up traffic something fierce.

Sept. 4, 2019, 12:28 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Ive just yelled "DON'T BLOCK THE TRAIL" as I've gone by in the past. Simple, to the point, no room for argument.

Fuck 'em.

I'm a respectable rider. I consider myself to be both friendly, and mature. Having spent the last 5 years riding with my son has taught me a ton about humility and respect when riding the park. 

That said, this year has been terrible for slower riders refusing to pull aside. I was fuking blown away this past weekend with riders sitting down while riding tabletops, who either don't know, or don't care that they're holding up a group of riders. The worst thing is, that the slowest riders never seem to pull over to take a break. Maybe I'm sensitive, but riding Dirt Merchant, aline, and freight train all season, I've pulled over numerous times to let faster riders pass me. Is it too much to ask the same on Blue Velvet, or CMore?

Posted by: ReductiMat

7:30 close times to 5:00 pm close times are seriously a war crime.

It's a shame that they're doing this so abruptly. I was also upset when they didn't open Big Red this year.

But I give Whistler a ton of credit for making this season such a great one. From their constant maintenance keeping the dirt smooth, to the new trails being built, I don't think I've ever had such a fun summer.

Sept. 4, 2019, 4:22 p.m.

Posted by: hypa

Posted by: thaaad

Fuck 'em.

I'm a respectable rider. I consider myself to be both friendly, and mature. Having spent the last 5 years riding with my son has taught me a ton about humility and respect when riding the park.

That said, this year has been terrible for slower riders refusing to pull aside. I was fuking blown away this past weekend with riders sitting down while riding tabletops, who either don't know, or don't care that they're holding up a group of riders. The worst thing is, that the slowest riders never seem to pull over to take a break. Maybe I'm sensitive, but riding Dirt Merchant, aline, and freight train all season, I've pulled over numerous times to let faster riders pass me. Is it too much to ask the same on Blue Velvet, or CMore?

Well don't the rules say slower riders have the right of way on green/blues? On the one hand, newbs/kids shouldn't feel the pressure of rippers being right on the tire, screaming to pass etc. (have seen this, not coool). On the other hand, etiquette says they should pull over, especially in the safe designated pull-out spots on blue trails to let faster people pass. Personally I just give them space and wait until the next pull-out, or pull off trail and give em 30 seconds, especially around kids. Could be a lack of education or just cluelessness making it worse this year.

On black/double blacks it's a diff story, no excuse and it's dangerous to block or go below trail speed. If I am casing and/or holding people up I pull off ASAP... but more experienced riders on those trails should know how to safely get out of the way or expect to be passed.

Last edited by: grambo on Sept. 4, 2019, 4:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 4, 2019, 8:50 p.m.

Tell me about it...some noob ruined my After Atlantis lap.

Thread killer

Sept. 5, 2019, 12:49 p.m.

It would be nice if the Bike Park had some sort of "bunny hill" type area specifically for beginners. IMO, one major flaw of the park isn't very beginner friendly... there are a lot of easier green/blue trails that a beginner could comfortably ride, but they often have more experienced riders on them and also, most of the bike park seems to filter down to Heart of Darkness, which guarantees that slower riders have more experienced riders on their ass the whole time. 

I have a toddler that I eventually want to introduce to the bike park but I feel like I'd be scared to take him until he is quite old (like 12+). Would be nice if they eventually build a zone like this.

Sept. 5, 2019, 9:48 p.m.

respectfully disagree. compared to just about any bike park out there other than flat lands, wbp is incredibly beginner friendly. name another bike park with more beginner terrain. 

ezdi, golden Triangle, rod&todd, dbv and shady acres. then start dabbling in b-line, hornet, longhorn, ho-chi. then add orient express and ciu or south park - earth circus. there's actually a ton of low level options. 

not to mention the various skills areas. 

I know I'm biased but I've never ridden anywhere with so much truly low level riding, with a lift, where the beginner trails don't put the beginners in the ditch every third turn. 

ymmv.