WBP 19

Aug. 11, 2019, 10:54 p.m.

Nickel, maybe this is a dumb question... but are those kinds of moves "allowed" by the bike park? Like if I blasted that Fade to Black to Cougar transfer and park patrol was there, would they give me shit or revoke my pass?

Technically you're crossing the ropes of the two trails so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 11, 2019, 10:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 12, 2019, 4:19 a.m.

If you do it safely, as in not even close to cutting anyone off, I don't think anyone would say anything although everyone's different. 

Personally, I hate when it gets posted on the interwebz as we usually get asked to build an impediment or patrol get told to put more ugly fence. God I hate the fence...

Aug. 12, 2019, 11:58 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Nickel, maybe this is a dumb question... but are those kinds of moves "allowed" by the bike park? Like if I blasted that Fade to Black to Cougar transfer and park patrol was there, would they give me shit or revoke my pass?

Technically you're crossing the ropes of the two trails so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

I would say its good to go with a few caveats.

• Quiet days are your friend.
  • Have a spotter or someone deliberately (and politely) blocking the trail your transferring too. Probably challenging for Aline.
  • Don't post it on the internet.
Aug. 12, 2019, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

Posted by: hypa

Its not going anywhere. I talked to the trail crew yesterday and they wee removing the sign posts. I give Tongue a ton of credit for attempting this. I mean, someone was going to try it.

you maybe got played as the boys were being pestered by every single person who came by. We've been forced to put an archway up at the far end as safety closed the feature once the video of buddy eating shit went viral and demanded a solution.

I actually saw the archway after I posted here. Props to you guys for doing what you do. It's like a cold war up there between savage stunts and personal safety. 

I've always thought about the transfer the other direction, left in to Ninja Cougar. One quick bunny hop and you're in to Ninja Cougar, I just don't have the balls to try it. @ 10 minutes

I was riding Ninja Cougar with my boy a few years ago, when Prince Jackson along with one of the McCaul brothers transferred from FTB to NC. All on film, caught by Sr. Goldstone. I had no issues with them doing the transfer, but when Goldstone stopped me mid run so they could take the footage is when I got a little pissy. The park is open, the trails are open, and if you want to film your kid, do it on your own time.

Aug. 12, 2019, 2:25 p.m.

Speaking from my experience when I used to skateboard; if you're attempting something like that and there are potentially other people around then it is your responsibility to have spotters and wait for your opportunity. You don't stop people, you let them pass and you go when you can and if you don't get the opportunity then you're shit out of luck. I would also have been justifiably annoyed by that.

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 12, 2019, 2:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 12, 2019, 3:56 p.m.

I think it was mentioned earlier...Ripping Rutabaga right hander to step up...anyone get that? I did two laps on Saturday after the EWS80 and didn't get it. I feel like that berm wants to draw any and all speed you can even think about out of you and you're then trying to pedal up the face of the step up. 

Other than the above I was loving DM-RR-DBV-AL. I finally properly fully cleared the Moon Booter on A-Line. The last few years I'd always come up just short of the rear tire hitting the transition clean. Nutted up and didn't touch the brakes after the little squirrel catcher thing before the take off. Helps that I was following someone in that I felt confident just holding their set speed. 

I am happy the full DM didn't go to a Pro level line as all the top stuff are my fav jumps of all time.

Aug. 12, 2019, 6:16 p.m.

The rutabaga step up is hard for sure although it can be done. i feel like people are trying too hard from the moment they go over the rock drop. it's about exit speed from the last berm, not entry speed. no sense going into the corner super hot if you can't carry the speed out. 

also, and please understand i mean no disrespect, if you're only just learning to clear the moon booter you've got some more work to do. that thing is a gimme and you can land at the bottom of the thing.

Aug. 12, 2019, 8:32 p.m.

I was riding Ninja Cougar with my boy a few years ago, when Prince Jackson along with one of the McCaul brothers transferred from FTB to NC. All on film, caught by Sr. Goldstone. I had no issues with them doing the transfer, but when Goldstone stopped me mid run so they could take the footage is when I got a little pissy. The park is open, the trails are open, and if you want to film your kid, do it on your own time.

Seriously, FUCKING THIS.

Aug. 12, 2019, 8:38 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

I think it was mentioned earlier...Ripping Rutabaga right hander to step up...anyone get that? I did two laps on Saturday after the EWS80 and didn't get it. I feel like that berm wants to draw any and all speed you can even think about out of you and you're then trying to pedal up the face of the step up. 

Other than the above I was loving DM-RR-DBV-AL. I finally properly fully cleared the Moon Booter on A-Line. The last few years I'd always come up just short of the rear tire hitting the transition clean. Nutted up and didn't touch the brakes after the little squirrel catcher thing before the take off. Helps that I was following someone in that I felt confident just holding their set speed. 

I am happy the full DM didn't go to a Pro level line as all the top stuff are my fav jumps of all time.

FWIW, the Rutabaga step up is now in the bag for me.  If you go back to the earlier posts I was certain it was impossible.  What happened is Iearnt to transfer between the three(!) berms properly and also get a big-ass boost on the step up.  I clear it pretty much every time assuming I'm not bagged.  I like to think I'm good at railing berms and that was another level for me.

By doing that, I can now ride other parts of the bike park like I've never been able to before.  I really think the WBP crew are fucking wizards and I hope they spin off this success with companies like GL & Joyride.  The global demand is only going to get bigger given our winters are going away because of who we vote for.

Aug. 12, 2019, 8:39 p.m.

Speaking from my experience when I used to skateboard; if you're attempting something like that and there are potentially other people around then it is your responsibility to have spotters and wait for your opportunity. You don't stop people, you let them pass and you go when you can and if you don't get the opportunity then you're shit out of luck. I would also have been justifiably annoyed by that.

Couldn't agree more.

Aug. 12, 2019, 9:39 p.m.

The rutabaga step up is hard for sure although it can be done. i feel like people are trying too hard from the moment they go over the rock drop. it's about exit speed from the last berm, not entry speed. no sense going into the corner super hot if you can't carry the speed out. 

also, and please understand i mean no disrespect, if you're only just learning to clear the moon booter you've got some more work to do. that thing is a gimme and you can land at the bottom of the thing.

None taken. My "anyone get the step up" was just a poorly worded request for help / feedback. I have no delusions that I have real jumping skills. I won't be clogging up the new Merchant features or Crab Apple anytime soon. 

I do think the new found confidence on the moon booter will pay dividends on the jumps I do hit. 

*Signed 42 year old guy that gets maybe 2-3 park days a year and a has more xc background than dh. *

Aug. 12, 2019, 10:07 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Seriously, FUCKING THIS.

Remember when Anthill shut down trails without patrol knowing?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Aug. 13, 2019, 5:20 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

None taken. My "anyone get the step up" was just a poorly worded request for help / feedback. I have no delusions that I have real jumping skills. I won't be clogging up the new Merchant features or Crab Apple anytime soon. 

I do think the new found confidence on the moon booter will pay dividends on the jumps I do hit. 

*Signed 42 year old guy that gets maybe 2-3 park days a year and a has more xc background than dh. *

I'm glad you're enjoying it, that jump is certainly satisfying as heck and is a step in terms of psychological commitment. The last jump on a-line is similar in that sense. 

For a lot of people it's hard to clear and then all of a sudden it's like a lightbulb switches on and you start making it and enjoying it. For many people, this is very quickly followed by the realization that you can overshoot the bejeezus out of both which is a bit ironic. 

The real impediment, as with many things, is psychological.

Aug. 13, 2019, 12:24 p.m.

Just a quick fyi, I got stung multiple times by a wasp near the entrance to lower Fatcrobat on Blue Velvet. He got caught up in my elbow pad and must have stung me about 3-4 times before I had the chance to get it out.

Word around Whistler is that the wasps are pissed right now and quite aggressive. I'm tits deep in Benadryl, and my left elbow is super swollen and red. 

The real impediment, as with many things, is psychological.

You sir, are correct. With laps and success, comes the confidence one needs to end the season on a positive note.

To be honest, the post labor day weekend riding is really getting me excited. With the summer crowds gone soon enough, it's going to be great to return to the park all alone.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Hahaha, nice!

Aug. 13, 2019, 8:50 p.m.

There have been many wasps this summer which has me worried about this time of year when they get pissed. I'm sure I'll be getting stung walking around the bush soon enough.