WBP 19

Aug. 6, 2019, 10 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Isn’t Blackcomb Base just that?

Do they have a base lodge there? I've walked through that area and stayed at the Fairmont before but didn't realize there was something like that there. If so, that would be great.

Aug. 6, 2019, 3:13 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: thaaad

We rode Sabertooth the day I was there, we heard that they just opened it that afternoon and it was fucking amazing.

Really glad they added that trail in as a much better way to access the Creekside trails. Great trail but parts of it were very muddy/slippery when I rode it on Saturday. Delayed Fuse also seems to get quite muddy/slippery with a bit of rain.

Random question about Whistler in general... why is there no day lodge type thing at the base? Don't most other ski hills have this at the base for people to congregate in, get their gear together, get cafeteria style food, etc? Weird that your only two options for getting changed into your ski gear are either in your car or in your hotel room. Is it designed like this on purpose so that there is no where for someone to hang out and eat a bagged lunch (aka. not spending $$)... only option is to do something similar, but inside an expensive restaurant in the village? Overheard a tourist asking where the base lodge was and it made me think about it... and it's weird that Whistler doesn't have one.

Whistler was designed from day 1 to extract as much money as possible from your wallet. There is no spot for you to eat a bagged lunch by design.

Aug. 6, 2019, 9:02 p.m.

isn't the point of a bagged lunch that you can eat it anywhere? i mean aside from saving money...

just eat wherever, plenty of places with a view and not a million people.

Aug. 7, 2019, 12:18 a.m.

Chair / Gondola lunch FTW

Aug. 7, 2019, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

isn't the point of a bagged lunch that you can eat it anywhere? i mean aside from saving money...

just eat wherever, plenty of places with a view and not a million people.

I'm thinking more about the winter than the summer. Like if a parent is bringing their kid up for a ski lesson for the day from Vancouver and isn't skiing that day what do they do... sit in Longhorns for 8 hours?

Aug. 7, 2019, 8:55 a.m.

Holy fuck

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 7, 2019, 9:10 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 7, 2019, 9:47 a.m.

Holy fuck

I'll bump up my time estimate to before the end of crankworx.

Aug. 7, 2019, 12:19 p.m.

There's no shortage of speed coming off that road that's for sure, I would just think the trees on the left might be in the way no?

Aug. 7, 2019, 1:09 p.m.

There's no shortage of speed coming off that road that's for sure, I would just think the trees on the left might be in the way no?

Should be pretty straightforward for the elite.. I’ll stick to clearing the CIU box 😂

Aug. 7, 2019, 5:03 p.m.

I was thinking it was a matter of time before someone tried it. I didn't think it would happen this quick. Props to him for giving it a go.

Thread killer

Last edited by: Stuminator on Aug. 7, 2019, 5:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 7, 2019, 9:10 p.m.

The Send was NOT respected

Aug. 8, 2019, 10:15 a.m.

That was fucked up! Glad he isn't seriously hurt.

You can eat your bagged lunch at any restaurant on the mountain. They have a microwave in the seating section at Glacier Creek. I regularly microwave uncle bens rice bags and add tuna, then poach their Sriracha, soy sauce, maybe even a dollop of free mayo. they do discourage from bagged lunches inside at Crystal and horstman just cos they are small, though if im hanging around the Horstman hut late in the day ill always eat snacks there and never get hassled.

Aug. 8, 2019, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

You can eat your bagged lunch at any restaurant on the mountain. They have a microwave in the seating section at Glacier Creek. I regularly microwave uncle bens rice bags and add tuna, then poach their Sriracha, soy sauce, maybe even a dollop of free mayo. they do discourage from bagged lunches inside at Crystal and horstman just cos they are small, though if im hanging around the Horstman hut late in the day ill always eat snacks there and never get hassled.

My point is that I think it's a little weird that Whistler doesn't have any sort of base lodge when most other ski hills I've been to have one. I'm not super worried about finding a spot to eat a bagged lunch, that was just an example of something a lodge would be used for. 

Another recent example - I was riding the bike park this summer and it started raining quite heavily, so I just ended up hanging out under an awning in a random part of the village for 30 mins. 

It's just weird that nothing like this exists because I think it would be quite functional.

Aug. 8, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: nortonwhis

My point is that I think it's a little weird that Whistler doesn't have any sort of base lodge when most other ski hills I've been to have one. I'm not super worried about finding a spot to eat a bagged lunch, that was just an example of something a lodge would be used for. 

Another recent example - I was riding the bike park this summer and it started raining quite heavily, so I just ended up hanging out under an awning in a random part of the village for 30 mins. 

It's just weird that nothing like this exists because I think it would be quite functional.

base of blackcomb has the day lodge which is also open in summer. base of Creek has dusty's which only sort of fits the bill although upstairs is almost always deserted. base of whistler is a shit show and anything like what you're describing would be crowded beyond any semblance of usefulness.

Aug. 8, 2019, 10:44 p.m.

Holy fuck

More Viewpoints