WBP 18

Oct. 6, 2018, 5:08 p.m.

Today was the toughest time I’ve ever had finding parking, and i waited an hour in the singles lineup, but the dirt was good and I had a great day! 

Ninja cougar to hiking crabapple and eventually out on the green trails after dirt merchant. 

Hopefully the forecast (and thanksgiving dinners) will mean shorter lines tomorrow without the trails getting too wet. I’m sticking around to ride!

Oct. 6, 2018, 7:06 p.m.

This was the first year I ever got a lesson.  After 4 direct-to-lift laps from 9:45 to 10:45, we thought we'd grab a bite and hopefully things would die down a bit.  Boy were we wrong.  I knew it was going to be bad today with Garbo being closed (gonna open tomorrow btw, good call Mountain Manager man), but these lines were something to behold.

We made the call at noon-ish to see if we could get a 'lesson'.  One of the best decision I've ever made.  Direct-to-lift till 5. 

Cheez1ts, was there a whole crew of you chainless guys at Crabs?  Never seen so many.  Regardless, it was running so nice so it was an Angry, Crabs, Aline all day*.

* Until Anthill showed up with the groms to keep making their Spawn Cycles commercial.. they've been shutting down trails on their own whim for the last few weeks.  I am never going to ride a Spawn bike because of this.

Oct. 6, 2018, 7:58 p.m.

Today sucked!

I was very lucky to find what was probably the last spot in lot 3. Hit the line 11:15. Horrible. Did 2 Laos - one with Kieran yeah! - then lunch at 1:30. Headed to the gondola as it looked like the right move. 62min until I was in one.  Btw - they’re are now very few bike gondolas. They’ve already started converting them. A good 30 went by between bike ones one time. Terrible that they couldn’t have waiting until Tuesday. 

3 Laps. Horrible. Dirt was good but just not with wasting the time time in line. Went home early and had a great rode down 5th on Cypress. Best run of the day.

Oct. 7, 2018, 7:43 a.m.

If I wasn’t solo I would have thought more about doing a lesson. I hadn’t ever hit crabapple though so it was really nice to session. I was stoked I was able to clean it chainless. 

And no there was never a chainless crew. Usually just one in a group, and probably 7 total that I saw in the afternoon. There was one time a chainless guys’ crew hiked up to start with him and you may have came by then.

Oct. 7, 2018, 9:31 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

If I wasn’t solo I would have thought more about doing a lesson. I hadn’t ever hit crabapple though so it was really nice to session. I was stoked I was able to clean it chainless. 

And no there was never a chainless crew. Usually just one in a group, and probably 7 total that I saw in the afternoon. There was one time a chainless guys’ crew hiked up to start with him and you may have came by then.

Yeah, if I was solo I would have just gone home.

What color bike did you have?  I had the grey/black YT. 

Ddean: That's insane they would do that with the gondy.

Oct. 7, 2018, 9:39 a.m.

I’m on Dylan Dunkerton’s old Demo, black with a grey tree-bark decal. In a blue raincoat and orange TLD helmet if you’re in the park today.

Oct. 7, 2018, 11:30 a.m.

Dirt merchant is open and the lines aren’t bad :D

Oct. 7, 2018, 5:42 p.m.

Only got four or five laps in this morn.  Got too wet and cold to continue for my frail body.

Shame they decided not to open Garbo and Dirty yesterday.  That said, got to go through the double-black option for my first time ever.  She was greasy and slow but pretty fucking amazing.  Can’t wait to see her when she’s dry and fast.

Will be there to close it off tomorrow but I’d just like to send out a huge fuck you to the weather.

Oct. 8, 2018, 5:43 p.m.

Today turned out good. 

Good night sweet bike park, see you next year.

Oct. 9, 2018, 7:02 a.m.

I did one lap on Saturday morning and got reminded why I never go to the village anymore, what an absolutely ridiculous shit show. I really hope they seriously consider keeping Creekside opening at least weekends until the end next year.

Oct. 9, 2018, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Ddean: That's insane they would do that with the gondy.

Yes it was insane. It’s abusive that they would have started converting ahead of the final weekend. Not joking - dozens of empty pedestrian gondolas headed up while a 1hr line of bikers didn’t move an inch. 

There were parts of the cable that had not been converted yet and the line moved as per normal.Then it took almost 15min to get a bike gondola. Not a single person in the pedestrian line.

Last edited by: Ddean on Oct. 9, 2018, 8:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 9, 2018, 9:09 a.m.

The last two Saturdays were the only days with a big  line up since August

Jan. 10, 2019, 4:01 p.m.

Anyone have any success converting unused EDGE card days into bike park days last summer? Won't be an issue for me this year, but kinda wishing I bought a 10 day EDGE as I've already burned 4 of my 5 days with unexpected chances to ski deep pow while the wife and new baby were out of town... next winter I might buy a 10 but would feel better doing it if I knew I could roll unused days into the bike park. You used to be able to but wouldn't be surprised if Vail stopped that practice.

Last edited by: grambo on Jan. 10, 2019, 4:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 10, 2019, 8:56 p.m.

Vail probably make you pay a fine if you don't use all your days!

Jan. 10, 2019, 8:59 p.m.

Please don't let Vail know they have a bike park.