WBP 18

Oct. 4, 2018, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

spotwx.com

just gonna put that here.

What a rad weather website! Thanks bud!

Gonna spend the day riding some legendary tech trails that are still open around Whistler before heading down to Squamish.

Anyone have any good recommendations on loops in Alice Lake to make? I was hoping to just ride slabs. B. Beach would be full awesome to ride on the way out as well, but directions seem very difficult to come by.

Last edited by: MrBaker87 on Oct. 4, 2018, 8:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2018, 1:02 p.m.

If I were looking for slabs around Alice Lake, id point you towards Hueso or Gouranga and trails off that area.  You can do some repeat loops of those with rides up Tracks From Hell or Fifty Shades of Green (and Fifty Shades more) depending on which one you decide to ride down.  Trails like Rupert and LOA have some smaller slab and less technical action if that is your preference.

Oct. 4, 2018, 5:08 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

If I were looking for slabs around Alice Lake, id point you towards Hueso or Gouranga and trails off that area.  You can do some repeat loops of those with rides up Tracks From Hell or Fifty Shades of Green (and Fifty Shades more) depending on which one you decide to ride down.  Trails like Rupert and LOA have some smaller slab and less technical action if that is your preference.

Looking for tech and slabs. Gotta get the most out of Canada while I can. Back in Washington, rock riding is more scarce.

Oct. 4, 2018, 5:42 p.m.

Entrails to boney elbows to hueso, all tech and slabs in 1 lap, Rupert for warm up first maybe?

Oct. 4, 2018, 10:47 p.m.

FWIW, the flow trails were worse today than yesterday.

We got hosed on the finale this year folks.  Punch your pastor next time you see her.

Oct. 5, 2018, 11:17 a.m.

Was hoping to get a final day or two in this weekend. Will check back in here to see but it seems that’s all she wrote for WBP 2018.

Oct. 5, 2018, 11:55 a.m.

I’ll update later in the day about how the park was today. Yesterday was skip, but the park did open some tech laps such as crack addict and schleyer so not all is lost.

Oct. 5, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: MrBaker87

Posted by: shoreboy

If I were looking for slabs around Alice Lake, id point you towards Hueso or Gouranga and trails off that area. You can do some repeat loops of those with rides up Tracks From Hell or Fifty Shades of Green (and Fifty Shades more) depending on which one you decide to ride down. Trails like Rupert and LOA have some smaller slab and less technical action if that is your preference.

Looking for tech and slabs. Gotta get the most out of Canada while I can. Back in Washington, rock riding is more scarce.

Maximum slabbage per pedaling at Alice Lake:

Park at the school at Perth/Boulevard (SORCA asking people to do this and pedal a few blocks up Perth Dr. to reduce neighbourhood parking).

Pedal up Mashiter and take first left access road (start is steep, probably have to push).

Start with Dirks.

Turn left at bottom and go back to Mashiter and back up the access road.

In n Out Burger next, then Hueso then Gouranga.

That would get you the 4 main slab trails in a reasonable amount of time without having to pedal all the way to Track from Hell. If you want to mix it up with more tech, go to Tracks from Hell/50 Shades Part 2 for the first lap and take Entrails to Boney Elbows... Room with a View is good but much more mellow than the others, blue square really. Value Added is another option with burley double black slabs and there are some shorter ones on Treasure Trail, but those require more pedaling to access/return from.

Last edited by: grambo on Oct. 5, 2018, 1:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 5, 2018, 4:31 p.m.

Park was starting to feel normal again today, just muddy.

Oct. 5, 2018, 4:51 p.m.

Yeah, Fitz is back in business.  Hopefully Garbo can open tomorrow otherwise it’s going to be a massive shit show.

Oct. 5, 2018, 5:07 p.m.

Praying!

Oct. 6, 2018, 12:38 p.m.

Rode a crazy amount of laps yesterday as the line was short. It’s true, fitz is running pretty well. Most trails were open, sans Clown Shoes, the now destroyed Family Cross, lowest part of Canadian Open and all of Joyride (Dirt Merchant was closed too, obviously). Dirt was quicker and lines were short. Broke my derailleur and chain, so went home early. Cheers for a great season Whistler.

Last edited by: MrBaker87 on Oct. 6, 2018, 12:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 6, 2018, 1:16 p.m.

Good thing you got good laps in yesterday. Longest fitz lines ever today!

Oct. 6, 2018, 2:42 p.m.

I’ve never seen the lines this long. It’s nice to see Whistler has staff keeping everyone in check, but I’m wishing I had just taken the trail bike out today instead of driving my chainless DH bike to Whistler with plans to stay for the weekend.

Oct. 6, 2018, 3:48 p.m.

Well i think this marks the first year in about 10-15 years i havent had a real day riding in the park. Took 4 laps this year on green and blue trails with some friends who wanted to try it on a bachelor party but that was it this year. 

Think ticket prices played a big part. Between the lift pass, gas and food, it just makes it to exspensive to head up from the valley now a days. Also theres so many good trail around now a days and i recently switched from a dh bike only to a only a trail bike so it meant much more time exploring new trails. Also in years past, it seems like its 30 minute waits for the chair on nice weekends. 

Maybe next year ill get back up. Need to try out creekside and new dirt merchant sometime.