WBP 18

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:09 a.m.

Surprised that this hasn't popped up anywhere else, but it looks like a 'World Cup level DH track' may be built in memory of Stevie Smith. Pretty cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmcaWwEHsWq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Can't wait to see the new DM as well

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:19 a.m.

Whistler WC DH in 2019? Dates have been announced but not locations. 

WB has quietly hosted higher and higher level UCI ranking DH races.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/provisional-2019-uci-world-cup-downhill-dates-unofficially-announced.html

My prediction is the Aug 3-4 dates being Whistler. 

Aug 3-4 WC DH

Aug 10-11 EWS

Aug 17-18 Slopestyle. 

Biggest mtb party ever.

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

such modesty! that lip is a hip so don't go thinking you're supposed to end to end that sucker. it's tall as all get out to provide a bit of a speed reset though, which does make it intimidating. 

As for the gap over ezdi, there's a wooden fence to prevent anyone getting back into dm who didn't hit the drop. it's obviously not impossible to climb over it but you certainly can't just ride into the landing. 

the trail's not all the way done but will be opening for a few days to let the people have a try of the parts that are done. hope you like it! I'll be lapping it after my air dh run for sure!

Ah hip makes it better. At first I was thinking you guys were building some Fest level mega sender trail.

Aug. 15, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

I take it the WC level DH track is in Creekside as well?  I'd love to check out a WC race sometime.

Aug. 15, 2018, 10:06 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Whistler WC DH in 2019? Dates have been announced but not locations. 

this would be sick.

Aug. 15, 2018, 12:17 p.m.

they've slowly been transforming the blackcomb base 2 trails into a decent XCO course too over the past couple years...

Aug. 15, 2018, 1:26 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

they've slowly been transforming the blackcomb base 2 trails into a decent XCO course too over the past couple years...

The Canadian Open at Crankworx is now a Class 1 UCI event, the rest of the Canada Cup DH series is only Class 2.  Canadian Open and Windrock Pro GTR are the only two Class 1 level DH races in North America. 

WC is coming....

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:50 p.m.

Oh man, WCDH at Whistler on a new track would be epic. Also a great way to showcase Creekside if they ran it down there? Pits on the rooftop of the Creekside parkade or hell even just on the walkway behind the bottom of the gondola. Watch the finish coral big screens from Dusty's patio? Plus that would mean a bunch of sick new trail to ride after the race... Giddy at the thought really!! That instagram from Claire Buchar certainly looks Creeksidey forest to me.

On the topic of new DM, here's a GoPro fusion vid from Gully. You can see the size of the features, beyond my pay grade but damn that looks really well built... props to nickel and co:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgCxAg4SzTs

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 15, 2018, 9:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 15, 2018, 10:01 p.m.

I want to hit the new dirt merchant but friends were saying it was a shit show of people standing on it, hiking up it etc today haha, I'll wait a bit!

Aug. 15, 2018, 11:36 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Oh man, WCDH at Whistler on a new track would be epic. Also a great way to showcase Creekside if they ran it down there? Pits on the rooftop of the Creekside parkade or hell even just on the walkway behind the bottom of the gondola. Watch the finish coral big screens from Dusty's patio? Plus that would mean a bunch of sick new trail to ride after the race... Giddy at the thought really!! That instagram from Claire Buchar certainly looks Creeksidey forest to me.

On the topic of new DM, here's a GoPro fusion vid from Gully. You can see the size of the features, beyond my pay grade but damn that looks really well built... props to nickel and co:

Is there a button I can press to make that shit watchable?

Aug. 16, 2018, 6:33 a.m.

pump the brakes re:wcdh. the intention would be for it to be built to uci spec with the idea being ONE DAY holding a world cup. that won't be next year.

Aug. 16, 2018, 10:54 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

From what I gather it would be a closed track after, how they will make that happen in Whistler is anyones guess. Imagine World Cup Wednesdays on an actual WC track? So sick

Last edited by: nortonwhis on Aug. 16, 2018, 10:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 16, 2018, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Is there a button I can press to make that shit watchable?

Seriously, that was f-in horrible. Just give us a standard chest cam / helmet cam of it.

Aug. 16, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

pump the brakes re:wcdh. the intention would be for it to be built to uci spec with the idea being ONE DAY holding a world cup. that won't be next year.

But I think what we're excited for is that the ground work is finally being done. I recall discussions from a number of years ago when the topic would come up and at that time Whistler wasn't hosting any UCI sanctioned events so no matter how awesome they were with Crankworx it wasn't just going to happen overnight. 2020 will be perfect, my youngest boy will be big enough that I won't have to carry his ass up the mountain to some awesome viewing spot on course. :)

Aug. 16, 2018, 8:51 p.m.

It's all good people...

The EZDI tourists will be in for a treat now. Plenty of spots to watch from, and the size of the drop alone will likely keep them on their trail.

The hip seems to be claiming a lot of people though.