WBP 17

Sept. 26, 2017, 5:39 p.m.

Posted by: nickel

Posted by: thaaad

I don't know, it's just a huge mindfuck now.

I usually ride with my buddy who can send almost every jump in the park, stylish whips, super comfortable and confident. I've been going for like 4-5 years now and it's still super uncomfortable for me. I know the bike setup isn't whack, I know the jumps aren't whack, I know the speed is right because I'm following a buddy, it's all in my head and every time I go to the park I tell myself it's going to be different and it never is. I go there and ride a trail or two I'm comfortable on to warm up and then hit the jump trails. All. Fucking. Day. 

Fade to black features, no problem, container step up / down, no problem, Schleyer drops, no problem. Jump trails? Can't do it. I don't know what else to do aside from keep going but it doesn't feel like I've progressed on jumps at all from the first time I went to the park, and most of the time I leave more frustrated than it seems like it's worth. blaahhh... 

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

May I suggest riding ciu and c-more slower than you think it possible for making the jumps and learn to pop, hard. By going too slow you'll reduce the fear. I worked with a guy who used to ride A line slower than anyone I knew and just popped as hard as possible to get extra height. Following him taught me a lot.

I think before you progress with jump trails, its important to learn to ride the jumps you're comfortable with at different speeds. Slow right down and pop hard and then once you've mastered that, ride then faster and learn you soak the jump or stretch the jump by jumping right to left or left to right. Scrubbing might be a ways away but its another technique for this.

I can generally follow someone who's casing every jump, at their speed, and make tranny by popping. It's not always about speed. In fact jump trails are often more fun when going a bit slower because you can get more loft.

I actually think this is great advice.

When I ride in general (not the park) I usually ride a little slower than my group of friends and try to find anything and everything I can pop off / over on the trails, I'm always looking for little gaps or things. I'm realizing now that for some reason this completely disappears when I get to the park. I must just unconsciously think that you need to rail it to clear the jumps. 

I think that what I'm really afraid of is the height when you're at the peak of a jump. I think that you're absolutely right that taking it a bit slower will get me more comfortable with the height, then I can add the speed back later if I want since getting speed in the park is usually no sweat.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the input.

Sept. 26, 2017, 7:27 p.m.

So Whistler is closed for tomorrow and Thursday for asbestos removal, which is good because today was awful.

See you Friday+

Sept. 26, 2017, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

So Whistler is closed for tomorrow and Thursday for asbestos removal, which is good because today was awful.

See you Friday+

I'll be joining the asbestos removal crew tomorrow 😉

Sept. 26, 2017, 9:54 p.m.

Don't forget your 3M 6000 or you're going to be sent back home!

Thaaad, for me I always thought I had to hit a vertical jump record for proper pop.  This year I learned a baby one will take you a long way.  Don't wait too long though otherwise you'll be a world-class barhumper.

nickel, are you handing tips for scrubbing?  I'm still a good foot or two above the table.  Is it just a matter of leaning her over that much sooner?

Sept. 27, 2017, 12:31 a.m.

nickel, are you handing tips for scrubbing?  I'm still a good foot or two above the table.  Is it just a matter of leaning her over that much sooner?

I can only do it sort of and some times. In my experience, its not leaning so much as carving fwiw.

Sept. 27, 2017, 9:33 a.m.

Hmm, yeah, I guess that is what I'm doing, but it's a very shallow carve near the top.  Get the arc wider and I bet I go lower... thanks.

Sept. 27, 2017, 6:48 p.m.

It's really really good right now. 

That is all.

Sept. 27, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

Shame about that asbestos.

We got enough out that the crew could open 7YW part two.

Can't wait for Friday.

Sept. 27, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

Hey Kevin, are you still on NSMB?  If so, you mentioned Dennis is at 1.5 this year, going for the record.  Do you know what the record is for non WB-employees?  nickel, are you privy to that info?

Sept. 27, 2017, 9:13 p.m.

There goes your consecutive days streak, Red.

Thread killer

Sept. 27, 2017, 9:20 p.m.

All good.  I'm on the asbestos team.  81 tomorrow. 

I have a problem.

Sept. 28, 2017, 12:11 a.m.

7YW pt2 cracked today... Was nice to ride something completely fresh. You certainly don't get to do that everyday esp in the bike park.

HOD has received some love too. Don't think I have ever seen it running so prime.

And yeah... Today was definitely was all time. Between the hero dirt, touch ups, no lines, no closures and warm sunny weather.. it had to be the best day I've had up there ever

Last edited by: wizard604 on Sept. 28, 2017, 12:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 28, 2017, 8:45 a.m.

Hey Kevin, are you still on NSMB?  If so, you mentioned Dennis is at 1.5 this year, going for the record.  Do you know what the record is for non WB-employees?  nickel, are you privy to that info?

No idea. Plus doesn't show Vert. I have no idea if there's a record for Vert in a season Dennis is just going for as much as he can, and the bike park pro app had a contest for it

Sept. 28, 2017, 10:59 a.m.

Ooh new 7YW section, thanks for the tip. Anyone that talked smack on trail crew this summer should be eating their shoe right about now.

Heading up tonight for my last 3 days of the season. Looks a bit wet tomorrow but it's all good. Stoked.

Sept. 29, 2017, 11:40 p.m.

''Tis would appear mid Aline to below shall be getting the first irrigation system at the WBP.

That or someone bought way too much PVC piping and dropped it while they were riding along.  <span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Does it have something to do with the blue flags scattered about? Inquiring minds!</span>

nickel, has the rider counter at the start of Aline always been there? Just noticed it the other day.