WBP 17

Sept. 21, 2017, 7 p.m.

WBP finally got out of bed and turned the trails to 11. Can't believe they've waited this long.  Fucking trail crew.

I've reached out to our MLA asking her to designate Dirt Merchant as a national treasure. We need to ensure that prolonged trail closures to this beauty is set to a max five days this close to the end of the season.

It doesn't help having Coast Photo with their sign saying they were shooting there today.

ALine is early June quality right now.  I haven't been able to try much else these few days.

Sept. 21, 2017, 8:15 p.m.

I did 3 or 4 a lines today, but pretty much everything is good right now, favourite the last few days has been Canadian open, or in deep.. Or the funshine-smoke n mirrors-bluezium.. All fun

Sept. 21, 2017, 8:19 p.m.

I only did one FT up there today. How greasy was in deep?

Sept. 21, 2017, 8:23 p.m.

The right amount of greasy, found capt safety to be tricky, goats not really, o sin quite a few puddles but fun.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Sept. 21, 2017, 8:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2017, 9:20 p.m.

I used to like snow. 

Then the 45 minute harmony lines came.

Give me a terrain park where people don't fucking have a picnic between each jump.

WBP is a gem few truly recognize.

Sept. 22, 2017, 10:59 a.m.

Trails were in amazing shape yesterday and the weather was perfect. Nice to not be drenched in sweat and dehydrated by the second lap for a change. Garbo was way less greasy than I expected, and Angry Pirate is butter. Back up tomorrow for more fun... supposed to do Squirrels on Sunday but might have to ride more park... first world problems.

For me, a good pow day is still the ultimate... but the bike park is awesome every. single. time.

Last edited by: grambo on Sept. 22, 2017, 11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 22, 2017, 2:35 p.m.

It should be mandated that you can only break cranks once per year.

The boys at Fanatyko are frankensteining something for me now.

Aline is awesome.

Very top of OSin is sloppy still, once you cross FT it's gold.  Gonna miss you Oakley isle.

Fat is fab.

Reopened NJ above Creek gondy. So fucking good.

Death before download so I rode from just above creek gondy to the bottom.  My taint is busted but I got to scope out Dirty.

Fuck she's glorious, but looking soft as hell.  Where are the fucking trail-bakers??? 

DBV is still closed too.

Sept. 22, 2017, 8:12 p.m.

What awesome dirt at the park today. Almost everywhere, hero dirt. 

Angry Pirate is running really well especially. But I couldn't fault any trail I rode today. Loved Polp Fiction, Schlayer, Funshine, smoke and mirrors, samurai pizza, etc    Super fun day - way better then the blown out dust bowl of a month ago  

Pack your stuff and get out tomorrow!

Question: I've only got about 5 days in at the park and I've used my Banshee Legend mk3 with a pretty good DH build each time. I'm not sure it's the right bike for the park and I'm debating using my E29 instead. The Legend soaks up hits well but it's so bloody heavy and I've got to man handle that beast all the way down. It takes a lot of energy. My E29 is so much easier to get down rough tech on the Shore but it's a bit head angle limited versus the Legend when it gets steep. I have some set up ideas that'll improve the Legend I think but  my question is really is it a bad choice for the park? I don't see many up there.

Sept. 22, 2017, 8:29 p.m.

FWIW, I don't hit a bike park groove until I've hit at least five to ten days in a row.

If I maintain that, my bike doesn't matter. 26er, carbon, etc.

You will have fun regardless.

Sept. 23, 2017, 12:33 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

FWIW, I don't hit a bike park groove until I've hit at least five to ten days in a row.

I've been going to Whistler for about 5 years and I still can't even come close to clearing half of Aline, I barely clear CiU after 4 consecutive weekends of riding. Starting to think I'll never find my groove for jump trails. Frustrating.

Sept. 23, 2017, 5:47 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I've been going to Whistler for about 5 years and I still can't even come close to clearing half of Aline, I barely clear CiU after 4 consecutive weekends of riding. Starting to think I'll never find my groove for jump trails. Frustrating.

I'll bet its not a speed issue, it's a pop issue.

Sept. 23, 2017, 6:02 a.m.

The armchair trail building over on the PinkBike WBP is pretty stupid sometimes.

Nickel, thanks for all the work that you and your crew do. I really appreciate the "inside scoop" you bring here on what otherwise appears to be a black art.

Sept. 23, 2017, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: dmc

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">...appears to be a brown art.</span>

Couldnt resist.

Sept. 23, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

The Merchant is open.

Some minor changes, the biggest being a whoop section before the jump coast always takes pictures at.

Sept. 23, 2017, 11:41 a.m.

Posted by: nickel

Posted by: thaaad

I'll bet its not a speed issue, it's a pop issue.

It's a confidence / fear issue. I can do it, I just can't make myself.  Put me at the top of a double black tech line, no sweat. Put a lip on it and I can't knuckle up for it. 

High speed longer flatter jumps are way less of an issue than lippy jumps for me. Scares me shitless.