WBP 17

Aug. 31, 2017, 6:13 a.m.

Rode kicking horse with the kids yesterday.   Nobody at wbp can complain about moon dust.

Aug. 31, 2017, 6:59 a.m.

They need to install a sprinkler system alongside the trails. A quick 20 mins operating time overnight would do the trick. That said I don't mind riding moondust.

Aug. 31, 2017, 4:11 p.m.

Mud is softer to crash in, you slide a lot farther. I agree trail crew does an awesome job with what they have. In theory, with more budget, they could drive big water trucks around. Or run a comprehensive irrigation system down every single trail. Imagine that.

What happened to Filthy Ape dude? Chest into the bars on g-out? Hope he's alright. Speaking of crashes, sad news the other day: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/burnaby-man-dies-in-whistler-mountain-bike-park/Content?oid=4202088  RIP.

Aug. 31, 2017, 6:14 p.m.

Appeared he lifted the front up way too much & went down the second half out of control. I think the g-out caught him.

Thread killer

Last edited by: Stuminator on Aug. 31, 2017, 6:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2017, 5:44 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

They need to install a sprinkler system alongside the trails. A quick 20 mins operating time overnight would do the trick.

I agree with the first part and we're actually looking into this. However the second part is a bit misguided. In conditions like this its more like 6-8 times 20 minutes a day. Its so bloody dry. 

As for it being sketchier in the moon dust or the wet? Wet conditions any day.

Sept. 4, 2017, 9:23 p.m.

Have a window of opportunity next Sat and was planning to head up to the park next weekend.  However, I just realized that Gran Fondo is that same day.  Is it worth getting up early and going for it, or is the traffic/re-routing on the Sea to Sky not worth trying to navigate?

Sept. 5, 2017, 10:31 a.m.

Check the road closures, as the northbound lanes get shut down in the morning.  If you dig loose, dry, chundery rowdiness the park will be all yours that Saturday, and looks like we may finally get some rain.

Sept. 5, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: Jugger

Have a window of opportunity next Sat and was planning to head up to the park next weekend.  However, I just realized that Gran Fondo is that same day.  Is it worth getting up early and going for it, or is the traffic/re-routing on the Sea to Sky not worth trying to navigate?

If you are coming from Vancouver, I think you need to be on the highway before 5:00am to avoid the closures, otherwise expect chaos and huge delays. I've got roadie friends doing the Fondo, so I get to drive up Friday night with their shit and then ride the park Saturday, should be sweet.

Was over at Silver Star for the long weekend, it was dusty but trails were in decent shape still. The tech trails there are super fun in the deep dust, especially the new one Chainsaw Mullet. Whistler does jump trails better for sure though.

Sept. 5, 2017, 1:24 p.m.

non-speculative road impact info

http://granfondowhistler.com/about-event/traffic-impacts

Sept. 5, 2017, 2:21 p.m.

Last year or the year before a buddy and I were AT the barricades by Stanley park about 35-40 minutes BEFORE the closure time listed on the Gran Fondo website and they wouldn't let us through and were turning all traffic around.

Leave early. Very early.

Last edited by: thaaad on Sept. 5, 2017, 2:22 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 5, 2017, 9:19 p.m.

Thanks for the input.  I think I'll pass this weekend -- running out of time to get my park days in though!

Sept. 6, 2017, 4:12 p.m.

Haven't been up in a few weeks, have any trails been worked on? Obviously it hasn't rained and trail crew is limited in what they can do, just curious.

Gonna check out Mystic/LOTS on Sunday, looking forward to it. Hopefully roadie friend is gassed enough from the fondo that he doesn't drop me immediately on the climb...

Sept. 6, 2017, 6:42 p.m.

BLine and D1 are the only trails running in a non-spoke breaking manner right now.

I lost one on a Dirty berm the other day.  <tear>

If you like jumps, ALine big hit is still operational, as is the last Aline hit.  Dirty "big-hit" is still good, as is the opening sorta-tombstone.  Aline tombstone is a bit of work to get to but still works.  I still haven't hit Crab 3 & 4 so don't ask me.  Looks like we'll never get at the Joyride big one they built at the end of LCO.

Fire-road to No (or new) Joke to Freight Train to No (or new) Joke to DIC is, "jesus-fucking-christ-I'm-fucking-sick-of-replacing-spokes-nightly-please-for-the-love-of-god-just-get-through-this-one-lap-and-i-promise-i-won't-do-it-for-at-least-two-laps".

Big Busty Booty is hurting in bits but still fun.

All the tech trails have copious amounts of champagne brown pow.  Like lose-your-wheel-in-it.

Was day 59 in a row for me today.  For you arm chair cognitive psychologists out there say it with me: 'sunk cost fallacy'.  The number of evenings I've spent in front of a truing stand is close to that number.

Sept. 7, 2017, 3:21 p.m.

^^^ Thanks for the update. Pretty much as I expected... coincidentally noticed a broken spoke on the rear of my DH bike last night. 

59 days in a row is impressive. How are those e13 carbon rims holding up?

Sept. 7, 2017, 3:50 p.m.

Well, I've gone through three 570's this year and I was their biggest fan.  My carbon rims have seriously blew past my expectations... you simply can't have harder conditions than I've put them through.

I'm a convert.