WBP 17

Aug. 25, 2017, 8:59 a.m.

And everything really is rough right now.

(When it rains and the crews work on the trails, everyone bitches how awesome things are too).

Aug. 26, 2017, 7:40 a.m.

Its rough as fuck right now but its to expected. I wouldnt blame the trail crew though. 

A: it was just cworx, it always gets beat to shit and

B: we need rain. So bad. Please.

Aug. 26, 2017, 8:50 p.m.

Full stop.

Who is blaming the trail crew?

I only state observations here.  I've lost spokes three times in the last week and half of riding, all at DIC.  It was a, "Heads up, treat DIC with kid gloves for now".

That said if we're going to open this thread to opining on questionable recommendations made by sub-par MBA grads to their 60 year old VP's, I'd suggest that building the park out further without cementing a method upon which you can maintain the trails that bring destination visitors in, perhaps they should re-think things.  Lines seem to be way down this year.

Today three guys spent all day fixing the landing of the Canadian Open step down landing.  Because all 58 of the people hitting that are nephews of Mr. Vail.

A crew also rebuilt the bigger creek gap on DM because it had been a month since the last rebuild.

The lower bit of GT is open now.

BBT has sections that make me want to ask if it was designed, because there are two sections that are bloody sublime... luck?  Or genius?

If all goes well, I'll ride every day until close.  I really like it here.

Aug. 27, 2017, 7:27 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Full stop.

Who is blaming the trail crew?

I only state observations here. I've lost spokes three times in the last week and half of riding, all at DIC. It was a, "Heads up, treat DIC with kid gloves for now".

That said if we're going to open this thread to opining on questionable recommendations made by sub-par MBA grads to their 60 year old VP's, I'd suggest that building the park out further without cementing a method upon which you can maintain the trails that bring destination visitors in, perhaps they should re-think things. Lines seem to be way down this year.

Today three guys spent all day fixing the landing of the Canadian Open step down landing. Because all 58 of the people hitting that are nephews of Mr. Vail.

A crew also rebuilt the bigger creek gap on DM because it had been a month since the last rebuild.

The lower bit of GT is open now.

BBT has sections that make me want to ask if it was designed, because there are two sections that are bloody sublime... luck? Or genius?

If all goes well, I'll ride every day until close. I really like it here.

I didnt mean anyone in here was blaming them. Nickel just made it seem like the unimformed on the mountain are blaming them.

Last edited by: dknapton on Aug. 27, 2017, 7:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2017, 10:17 p.m.

Hoping for September rains. It's like a desert out there. Not much the trail crew can do in these conditions.

Thread killer

Aug. 29, 2017, 10:26 p.m.

They rebuilt many sections of ALine before the AirDH and we haven't had rain since January if I remember correctly.

It can be done, just a matter of money and priorities from up on high.

All that said, if you're coming to ride, turn off Strava, embrace the square edges and three feet of moon dust and rejoice in the direct-to-lift laps.

BBB has held up amazingly well given the conditions.

Aug. 30, 2017, 9:39 a.m.

OMGZ! THEY'RE DUMBING DOWN THE TRAILS!!! and also THE BRAKING BUMPS, YOU NEED TO FIX THEM!!!

Aug. 30, 2017, 11:49 a.m.

They rebuilt many sections of ALine before the AirDH and we haven't had rain since January if I remember correctly.

It can be done, just a matter of money and priorities from up on high.

All that said, if you're coming to ride, turn off Strava, embrace the square edges and three feet of moon dust and rejoice in the direct-to-lift laps.

BBB has held up amazingly well given the conditions.

Snowmaking is key. If the trail doesn't have snowmaking next to it, fuggetaboutit.

Aug. 30, 2017, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

OMGZ! THEY'RE DUMBING DOWN THE TRAILS!!! and also THE BRAKING BUMPS, YOU NEED TO FIX THEM!!!

Is this a random drive-by post or was it somehow a response to mine?

Whatever the case, saw some new trail heads today. Also the baby digger was at the end of 7YW pt 2. Wonder if we'll get a bite of that before 2018.

The top sections of TotW are nearly as talcumy as Angry. I'm definitely not comfy in those conditions and found myself riding the top like a bit of a moron.  Whatever the case, so nice up there.

Aug. 30, 2017, 3:04 p.m.

Is this a random drive-by post or was it somehow a response to mine?

Whatever the case, saw some new trail heads today. Also the baby digger was at the end of 7YW pt 2. Wonder if we'll get a bite of that before 2018.

The top sections of TotW are nearly as talcumy as Angry. I'm definitely not comfy in those conditions and found myself riding the top like a bit of a moron.  Whatever the case, so nice up there.

nothing to do with anyone in particular except general trail condition complainers.

Aug. 30, 2017, 3:33 p.m.

Fark, only a couple weekends left to get my annual TOTW in. Long-term forecast is showing some rain on the 9th/10th, hopefully it comes.

I'm off to Silver Star this weekend to enjoy some foreign moon dust and bomb holes.

Aug. 30, 2017, 5:22 p.m.

Sucker. It just rained here.

If my readings are correct we got 0.002mm.

Aug. 30, 2017, 6:40 p.m.

nothing to do with anyone in particular except general trail condition complainers.

OK.

Do we agree that the three levels above Brian (my guess) don't really give a flying fuck about mountain biking?  As in, a line item that doesn't really affect their bonus?

I suspect if the trail crew had some more $$$ and some more clout they could make WBP an order of magnitude better than anything else on the planet and keep drawing in people to gawk at the meat cannons in the bone yard, let alone every mountain biker on the earth.

As it stands, I suspect there are a few mediocre MBA's spouting bullshit they don't really understand to some executives who've checked out years ago and forcing Creekside upon us without truly understanding the repercussions from the perspective of someone who uses the bike park.

Aug. 30, 2017, 8:37 p.m.

Vail resorts makes hundreds of millions & early season they ask people to turn out & volunteer to build/ buff trails? I'm one person who would not show up for that. Maybe if it was a community thing, ya, but not for a corporate fat cat. I agree they could have the trails in better condition if they wanted to. It's not the trail crew's fault. I would bet they are doing what they can. All that whining & I keep coming back, lol.
We saw some dude eat it hard on Filthy Ape. He was trying to walk it off, I hope he made out okay.
The berms on the Pirates are like the sahara. Wondering to myself if these conditions are tougher to ride in than the greasy, wet roots & mud.

Thread killer

Last edited by: Stuminator on Aug. 30, 2017, 9:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 30, 2017, 8:53 p.m.

There is absolutely zero doubt for me.  Wet mud is 1000000% easier to ride in.  That said, I wonder if it's all in my head... I just feel so much more comfortable in it as opposed to moondust.