WBP 17

Sept. 30, 2017, 9:16 a.m.

Having installed irrigation systems I can see this being an absolute headache. Gravity etc plays such a huge aspect, the top of a system can be getting very little water while the bottom way too much. Good luck to the guys on this!

Oct. 2, 2017, noon

No different than having the snow making systems in the winter, and you don't have to worry about the lines freezing.

Oct. 2, 2017, 3:14 p.m.

But its not!

Regular water irrigation systems only rely on water pressure itself. Not hydro to provide the power/force to spray the water etc.

If they are using hydro to power each "sprinkler head" then yeah it should be easy, but I don't know of any normal irrigation system that works this way.

Oct. 2, 2017, 5:01 p.m.

I had a 5 day edge card and only really put it to use in the last 3 weeks. Finally got up to full speed and jump confidence on my final day yesterday, but man it felt great and I'm regretting not spending more time there this summer. Freight Train with the couple detours to No Joke/7YW/DIC down to Angry Pirate and A-Line is my favourite way down this damn mountain. Excited for winter, but also excited for May and I'm glad I still have a DH bike, even if it's getting on in age and has puny wheels.

Oct. 3, 2017, 7:21 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

But its not!

Regular water irrigation systems only rely on water pressure itself. Not hydro to provide the power/force to spray the water etc.

If they are using hydro to power each "sprinkler head" then yeah it should be easy, but I don't know of any normal irrigation system that works this way.

Hydro? What are you on about?

Oct. 3, 2017, 9:21 a.m.

Electricity. I was trying to be Canadian :)

Doesn't the snow making systems run on it? My mistake if not.

Last edited by: Kieran on Oct. 3, 2017, 11:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 3, 2017, 10:50 a.m.

Conditions are the best they've been all year.

Could use a sign at the exit of 7YW pt 2 that says, "Look up the fucking road and see if someone is coming you dumb ass".

Oct. 3, 2017, 2:45 p.m.

Well, that's it for my season as I'm out of town this weekend. It feels like it's over too soon but I'm happy with my number of days and skills progression... plus I escaped with only minor bumps and bruises this year.

Friday was a bit too wet... Saturday was greasy in spots and Sunday was perfect. I did have a pretty bad crash late Saturday on Upper Joyride. McSkimming's rock looked greasy so I thought I'd be smart and take the B-line around, which was going fine until I got back into the woods and a partial root sticking out grabbed my rear wheel and sent me OTB crashing down onto the rock... got lucky with just a badly bruised hip which didn't impact my ability to ride, just makes sleeping and getting in/out of cars painful this week.

I'm glad I came back out Sunday so as not to end bike park season with a crash. Just perfect dirt everywhere and nice weather to boot. Already looking forward to May.

Oct. 3, 2017, 7:57 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

Electricity. I was trying to be Canadian :)

Doesn't the snow making systems run on it? My mistake if not.

It's not black and white. Snowmaking  uses pumps and reservoirs. For summer use, one of the reservoirs is fed by a creek (the one closest to peak chair). For summer needs it's way more than ample. It's somewhat difficult to foresee a day when that creek won't be sufficient but I guess you never know.

Oct. 8, 2017, 9:34 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I was a bit concerned when I first came across that whoop section... thinking it's going to be a long time until I'll be able to manual through it.  A few laps later I went jello and just monster-trucked through it and it worked just fine and was fun as hell.

The step down before the s-turn and EZ bridge.. the bigger option is so nice now.  Before it felt as if the landing zone was the size of a postage stamp.  Now we have a nice new lip on it and the landing seems huge.

Just saw the whoops for the first time today. What a mess... Park was in mint shape though.  Too bad I didn't ride enough this year. :-(

Oct. 8, 2017, 10:25 p.m.

It's actually a metric shitton of fun, its just a bit soft right now.  You can hit it at full speed and just monster truck it.  I giggle every time I hit it.

7 Year More is a big mistake. So many clueless monkeys sitting in front of NJ.

And to the losers who braid 7YW and get on my ass, have the fucking courtesy to be faster than me through the fireroad and through the trees.  I do enjoy the surprised shoulder checks though.

I managed to crack 1.25m today and have ridden 13 weeks in a row.  Not sick of it at all.  I'm fucked.

Thanks for the inside scoop nickel, see you maybe tomorrow and if not, next year.

Oct. 9, 2017, 10:46 a.m.

A quick shout-out to all the parties involved in deciding it’d be a great idea to shut down mid ALine on closing day.

I wish I could kick each of you hard in the balls.

Oct. 9, 2017, 6:41 p.m.

It opened in the afternoon

Oct. 9, 2017, 8 p.m.

Yes, I know.  I hope it was just a tradie doing the typical, "I'm the most important person in the world, fuck everyone else" shtick.  The lines showed how important people take closing day.

That gaffe aside, what a closing day.  No one came up to Garbo and I snagged 8 laps there and 9 laps in Fitz. 

Amazing closing day given how many people showed up.

See you next year WBP.  Sleep well.

Oct. 9, 2017, 9:39 p.m.

nickel, can we please get an ALine or DM in snow format?