WBP 16

Aug. 12, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

No love for duff man?

Those "Junction Trails" at the top of Lower Freight Train (DM, MR, ND, ST) are fine, its just that you can't do Garbo Laps off them. LFT takes you straight onto the Garbo lift. Otherwise, on busy park days, you have to contend with shit show at Fiztsimmons chair or the Gondola to get another hit of Garbanzo Zone goodness. Not to mention LFT closure probably adds some to congestion at the bottom.

Aug. 12, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

Was up riding yesterday and it was my first exposure to Crankworx, wow, so many pros around. Was also a friend's first time ever in Whistler and needless to say she was blown away by the riding and whole experience. We got to see the EWS guys and some WC DH riders come through No Joke/Drop In Clinic at race speed, damn that was impressive. Yoann Barelli did a nice nose wheelie into Drop In Clinic right in front of us /fanboy.

Spent the day on a large Scott Gambler and wow, even my first run was faster than my (now extra tiny feeling) medium '12 Glory, I guess that's what +35mm reach and +80mm wheelbase will do. So yeah, need to buy a bigger bike ASAP. That Float X2 air shock is pretty damn sweet too.

Going to be up next Thurs-Sunday and can't wait. Will be mixing it up between watching events, park riding and valley trails. We are staying in Rainbow so I guess I should check out Howler.

Bikes are fun.

Aug. 12, 2016, 2:51 p.m.

Was up riding yesterday and it was my first exposure to Crankworx, wow, so many pros around. Was also a friend's first time ever in Whistler and needless to say she was blown away by the riding and whole experience. We got to see the EWS guys and some WC DH riders come through No Joke/Drop In Clinic at race speed, damn that was impressive. Yoann Barelli did a nice nose wheelie into Drop In Clinic right in front of us /fanboy.

Spent the day on a large Scott Gambler and wow, even my first run was faster than my (now extra tiny feeling) medium '12 Glory, I guess that's what +35mm reach and +80mm wheelbase will do. So yeah, need to buy a bigger bike ASAP. That Float X2 air shock is pretty damn sweet too.

Going to be up next Thurs-Sunday and can't wait. Will be mixing it up between watching events, park riding and valley trails. We are staying in Rainbow so I guess I should check out Howler.

Bikes are fun.

Howler will be hella dusty if we don't get rain. Still be pretty sweet, just rides better with moisture…

Aug. 12, 2016, 9:13 p.m.

I love all those trails around there.. but nothing gets you back to Garbo besides FT. And I hate me some long lines.

After how busy it was on weds, I was surprised that we were almost rolling right onto the lift every run on Thursday. We decided to just ride the lower part of the mountain and bang in laps till things got busy. Only ended up going up top to check out FT, then is was back to lower mtn laps.

Aug. 12, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

Lift lines have been really weird this year for sure.

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

Howler will be hella dusty if we don't get rain. Still be pretty sweet, just rides better with moisture…

Makes sense with where that trail appears to be I guess… thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone fill me in on how demos work during Crankworx? Show up to the trucks in Lot 2, handover your id/credit card and get to try a bike for free for an hour? Would be nice to try a few DH rigs out, recognizing you probably only get one lap given lineups. Do they start demos at 10am?

Hard to focus at work today…

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:24 p.m.

Makes sense with where that trail appears to be I guess… thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone fill me in on how demos work during Crankworx? Show up to the trucks in Lot 2, handover your id/credit card and get to try a bike for free for an hour? Would be nice to try a few DH rigs out, recognizing you probably only get one lap given lineups. Do they start demos at 10am?

Hard to focus at work today…

Yes that's how it's been, well that or "bikes are all out, try later/tomorrow"

Aug. 15, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

What's up with the bottom of DM and the bridge jump area of FT? I would've thought they'd get the green light after the Enduro..

Aug. 15, 2016, 6:19 p.m.

What's up with the bottom of DM and the bridge jump area of FT? I would've thought they'd get the green light after the Enduro..

Garbo training and race tomorrow?

Aug. 15, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

Garbo training and race tomorrow?

The part where FT and OSin crossed was open.. Just the bridge jump was shut. Pushed up to Una and got to do the rest.

Missed the Duffman/Gt line. understand DM now.

Aug. 16, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

New FT step-up hip is booosty. The other jumps are great too. I like the changes.

Still undecided on the revamped dirt merchant… At least you won't overshoot the jump at the old line/new line intersection now. It's actually hard to clear.

Aug. 16, 2016, 1:45 p.m.

I would like one of the red SRAM hats being handed out at Crankworx. If anyone grabs an extra one and can meet me in North Van, I'll toss a few bucks or beers your way.

-Gord

Aug. 16, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

I would like one of the red SRAM hats being handed out at Crankworx. If anyone grabs an extra one and can meet me in North Van, I'll toss a few bucks or beers your way.

Do you know where they are handing them out?

The pop-up SRAM coffee shop that has been Free S*** HQ in the past doesn't exist this year.

Aug. 16, 2016, 3:21 p.m.

No not offhand. I was up on Saturday and looked around - a handful of red hats were being worn, but I couldn't find the swag-dispersion-center.

They may not be handing them out yet - may just be a Joyride thing to get some TV time with the spectators.

Aug. 16, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

No not offhand. I was up on Saturday and looked around - a handful of red hats were being worn, but I couldn't find the swag-dispersion-center.

They may not be handing them out yet - may just be a Joyride thing to get some TV time with the spectators.

Okay. I am roaming the village every day looking for free s***. I will post up if I find the stash… :D