WBP 16

July 1, 2016, 6:31 a.m.

MacKenzie River Trail is one of my favorite rips in the park. Hope it comes back to life soon.

Not sure if serious, or sarcasm level pro.

July 1, 2016, 4:49 p.m.

How's TOTW?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 1, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

How's TOTW?

Covered in snow to well below the Khyber split. Melting fast though.

July 2, 2016, 12:24 p.m.

Couple of us rode RDS Monday just before the hail. Still some snow on ToTW getting up to RDS but not too much. A couple of trees down (a couple near the very top, by the creek, and definitely just as you are about to hit the road crossing to B.C.'s) on RDS and a tiny bit of snow at the top.

Otherwise trail conditions were good. New reroutes take some good old lines out of play unfortunately.

July 2, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

Not sure if serious, or sarcasm level pro.

I like riding it, it's fun to link to Renegade. Any idea when it will be open?

July 2, 2016, 2:26 p.m.

Couple of us rode RDS Monday just before the hail. Still some snow on ToTW getting up to RDS but not too much. A couple of trees down (a couple near the very top, by the creek, and definitely just as you are about to hit the road crossing to B.C.'s) on RDS and a tiny bit of snow at the top.

Otherwise trail conditions were good. New reroutes take some good old lines out of play unfortunately.

Are they though, can't you still get onto the old trail? Last time i rode it I noticed all the forks and crossings etc

July 3, 2016, 9:10 a.m.

Sunday traffic?

Thinking of heading up for the day - but… Will I find myself in traffic armageddon leaving whis at the end of the day due to the long weekend. I live in Squamish.
I was in pemby on friday, and on my drive home to squamish at the end of the day the gridlock heading into whistler looked insane.

Thoughts?

July 3, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

Sunday traffic?

Thinking of heading up for the day - but… Will I find myself in traffic armageddon leaving whis at the end of the day due to the long weekend. I live in Squamish.
I was in pemby on friday, and on my drive home to squamish at the end of the day the gridlock heading into whistler looked insane.

Thoughts?

I have heard nothing but complaints from my Cheakamus based friends this past weekend. Haven't seen bike park lines, but even walking round the village was a challenge yesteday

July 3, 2016, 9:55 a.m.

Long weekend in the bike park? No thanks..

July 3, 2016, 10:01 a.m.

Thanks guys! I think I knew it was going to be a Sh!T Show.
Bailing on Whis

July 3, 2016, 10:11 a.m.

Rode park starting at 5:00 yesterday and line-ups were only one row. About 5 minutes. Surprised by that. Trails in great shape.

But it's super busy in the village for sure and everywhere this long weekend.

As a side-note… I cannot understand why the Ministry of Transportation (provincial highway and all) and the Muni can't figure out that at peak periods and on long weekends, they should have road crews READY and on STAND-BY with traffic control folks to override the N/S lights on the highway especially between Creekside and Cheakamus to essentially "green-wave" the backlog through????

With automation, this could be done from an office. But without that, it doesn't take much to throw out a traffic control crew and double-up on green light duration N/S to clear congestion. I'm sure people waiting to left-turn from Function can survive a double-red cycle. During Fridays Cluster-F, I counted about 6 cars from Function per cycle, so that would just make it 12 if traffic control held them back a light cycle.

July 3, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

Busy in the village, but most people aren't here to ride park. I've heard the lines have been pretty reasonable the past few days.

Not much of a line right now, but just opened:
http://208.181.17.164:8081/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi

Shouldn't be much traffic coming into town today.

July 3, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

My wife and I left the village just after 4 in the afternoon on friday,to do a over night camping in the callaghan valley. The line up started at the husky and went almost to the turn off to callaghan road. Fucking crazy. Don't know where these people are going or where there going to park. Park was dead on friday and awesome conditions due to a little rain in the am. Saturday was busier but not bad. I'm going to make a sign that says"I'M NOT LEAVING YET" in several different languages. Yesterday vehicles would follow you to your car and then ask if you leaving.

July 3, 2016, 12:52 p.m.

The traffic light at Britannia Beach can get crazy backed up as well. I guess Whistler is a victim of it's own popularity.

Thread killer

July 3, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

why is there no train connection to vancouver anyway? seems like there could be some way to relax the traffic if some ppl could arrive by train.