WBP 16

June 27, 2016, 9:51 p.m.

Now that Creekside is open, anyone know the deal on parking on the roof in the summer? Since we have a roof rack it's a pain to unload/lock the bikes, park and then come get the bikes. Called WB guest services (WB seems to run Creekside parking) and they weren't sure.

I'll do a drive-by at some point next weekend either way but it would be nice to just park on the roof there and avoid the village or bike load shuffling.

I haven't tried, but the roof is labeled clearly as being one or two hour parking. To my knowledge, this is policed. You could park on the other side of the highway near Nita lake lodge though I suppose.

June 27, 2016, 10:48 p.m.

Ended up going 2.5, thanks for the votes. Had just heard MM's roll slower than Minions overall, nothing specific about 2.5 vs 2.35 MM. Anything should be a big step up from the old 2.4/2.3 HR II's on the ex-rental I just bought.

I wouldn't worry about the rolling speed, i'd be more worried about the knobs tearing off in record time compared to a Maxxis.

The MM I had on the front lastest precisely 10 in the park days before most of the side knobs were 50% turn [HTML_REMOVED] the tyre was unrideable.

The Minion that replaced it is still usable now!

I'm hardly a riding god either - Schwalbe have a terrible rep in the UK for this. I chucked the Schwalbe's on just before we left last year, shouldn't have bothered.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

June 28, 2016, 6:58 a.m.

I found that Schwalbe 2.5" tires are about as large as the Maxxis Minion 2.7" tires, which were thoroughly out of fashion in recent years. But now with the advent of plus size tires, more people may give them a try.

The Schwalbe 2.5" tires share the problem with the 2.7" Maxxis tires though: weight. A 650B 2.5" Magic Mary weighs 1410 g (49 oz). A 2.35" is 1250 g, and the SuperGravity 2.35" version is only 1100 g. You definitely notice that difference in weight on the trail.

Also, I found that rolling resistance becomes noticeable on trails like A-Line when you follow a friend with faster rolling tires. Schwalbe makes three compounds. For the front, you definitely want the softest, VertStar. For durabilty and rolling resistance, you could consider the TrailStar for the rear tire. I believe it is still softer than Maxxis' MaxxPro, and it's a triple compound, so the side knobs should be a lot softer.

My first set of Schwalbe tires years back also had problems with knobs falling off, but I had no problems with newer ones. But because all their tires are either double or triple compound, they may still have a quality issue with the knobs tearing of where the compound changes. They will definitely warranty tires with ripped-off knobs. So -C-, if you kept yours, you may get brand new ones.

June 28, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

If we ignore the fire on Whistler last night, that rain is definitely what the doctor ordered.

'Cept if you plan on taking the Fatcrobat/Black Velvet exit off BV and don't plan to ride the final skinny section… I finally found a use for 650b as my whole bike didn't go completely under water in one of the pot holes/lakes… felt nice in the heat though.

Day 21 for my Magic Mary's. They come from the Apr/16 vintage from b-d.de. Side knobs still attached, but I'll be swapping out the rear for day 25. Judging from what I see in the lift lines, I'm certain there are those who'd chastise me for leaving so much meat on the bone.

June 28, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

^^^Are you riding 2.35 or 2.5,verstar or ? Will be ordering from b-d.de.
26er 2014 v10 and I'm definitely not an anemic tweezer butt:D

June 28, 2016, 5:30 p.m.

^^^Are you riding 2.35 or 2.5,verstar or ? Will be ordering from b-d.de.
26er 2014 v10 and I'm definitely not an anemic tweezer butt:D

The ones on my bike till Friday are 2.35's. I'll be doing a wholesale swap to the 2.5's.

Depending if I notice any difference, I might have 2 brand new 2.35's and one at 80% for sale.. or not.

(FWIW, my butt is tipping 230 right now… so good job side knobs)

June 28, 2016, 5:40 p.m.

2.5's it is then:lol:

June 28, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

Depending if I notice any difference, I might have 2 brand new 2.35's and one at 80% for sale.. or not.

(FWIW, my butt is tipping 230 right now… so good job side knobs)

Let me know if you need to unload any tires, my skinny butt is happy on 2.35s haha!

June 28, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

Phat Kids tomorrow. The boy moves up a category with the new age groupings. Gotta' bring out the pinner in him. Haha. Too bad I won't be up there to watch. Although he did great in the last adult Phat Wednesday. Mid-pack U14, even though he's just turned 11. He loves the Phat Wednesday atmosphere. Everyone cheering them on regardless of age, gender.

June 30, 2016, 6:09 p.m.

Day of the year today.. no one was here. Let the madness of summer season begin.

When did Afternoon Delight get a lower-Afternoon Delight? I remember sitting at the bline/hod/technoir/devils/ho chi holding area this year scratching my head trying to account for its exit… today I noticed a sign indicating "Afternoon Delight" at the end of the trail and thinking how silly they were… then I saw the trail. One of the teaching crew said last year. Have I been that blind?

What's up with Mack River? Been looking forward to that little rip but she's been closed this year.

June 30, 2016, 7:25 p.m.

That's actually the original exit if afternoon delight . It was closed looking ago for assorted safety related reasons which have since been addressed. We call it classic afternoon.

Mackenzie river is on life support until it can go under the knife for a couple things hopefully soon.

June 30, 2016, 7:30 p.m.

That's actually the original exit if afternoon delight . It was closed looking ago for assorted safety related reasons which have since been addressed. We call it classic afternoon.

Mackenzie river is on life support until it can go under the knife for a couple things hopefully soon.

Yay for number one.

I'm holding vigils for Mack.

You guys are kicking ass this year…

(But what the hell is up with a pump track at midstation? It looks bloody amazing, but you aren't going to let us ride our sleds on it.. are you?)

June 30, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

But what the hell is up with a pump track at midstation? It looks bloody amazing, but you aren't going to let us ride our sleds on it.. are you?

Would you actually want to ride your big bike on it?

But yes, as far as I'm aware, you'll be allowed to ride your sled, bmx, kids bike, mountain scooter, unicycle or whatever else you can imagine on it.

June 30, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

Would you actually want to ride your big bike on it?

But yes, as far as I'm aware, you'll be allowed to ride your sled, bmx, kids bike, mountain scooter, unicycle or whatever else you can imagine on it.

That's kind of sad.. so much effort. I ain't no trail builder, will it live past cworx?

I asked Colleen if I could take my DJ (one brake) bike up the lift for that event. She said yeah, but you have to download after. That sounds very one-shot-dealish.

A WB sanctioned pump track is an awesome thing.. just wish it wasn't a lift accessed thing.

Whatever. Park is gold and the above is extra… now about that Peak to Creek Dirt Merchant…

June 30, 2016, 9:23 p.m.

MacKenzie River Trail is one of my favorite rips in the park. Hope it comes back to life soon.

Thread killer