WBP 16

May 7, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

8 ball says don't count on it.

Come on open the dam thing up!

Seriously, is there no chance of early opening now? :mad:

May 7, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

gets real tricky in the wet…

Hahaha, yup! Last season running 60a Minions at 35psi was terrifying when I rode it in the rain for the first time of the season! Like skating. There was a couple dabs.

May 7, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

Hahaha, yup! Last season running 60a Minions at 35psi was terrifying when I rode it in the rain for the first time of the season! Like skating. There was a couple dabs.

For me that's a high psi for the bike park, especially in the wet. I'd likely set it at 25 or 28. GG in the wet; that declined wood ramp (ladder) is very nasty. May as well use no brakes on that one, cause you just slide right down into the corner anyways, lol.

Thread killer

May 8, 2016, 6:35 a.m.

Do yourself a favor and get 3c or super tacky. It's probably the last place you should skimp on your bike. Grip is king.

Pressure is super personal though. I, like Stu, run well below 30psi. However a friend of mine who's much better at bikes, hates feeling the tire deform and runs closer to your 35psi. Run whatever pressure you want but just throw the 60a in the garbage.

May 8, 2016, 8:28 a.m.

Do yourself a favor and get 3c or super tacky. It's probably the last place you should skimp on your bike. Grip is king.

Pressure is super personal though. I, like Stu, run well below 30psi. However a friend of mine who's much better at bikes, hates feeling the tire deform and runs closer to your 35psi. Run whatever pressure you want but just throw the 60a in the garbage.

I have a wall full of tires. So, I change the rubber often. However, there is nothing wrong running 32-25 PSI in a 60A tire in the dry. The braking bumps are rocks can pound rims on the high speed trails as you know. But, the ST tires come on in the rain and I will run low pressure in the 25-28 range if grip is going to be an issue.

The tire deformation is the worst. I generally weigh 200lbs with gear and I hate hitting a berm hard and feeling the tires squirm. I have rolled a few off the rim at lower pressure before too. However, it is always impressive at how big the inner tube stretches before it blows when that happens…

May 8, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

…ST on front, 60a on rear, all year round, they wear about the same and grip is most important on the front anyways, I am off the 3c train as I found once you got past the soft outer rubber the 70a under lost a ton of grip…..also at recommended pressure too…maybe 30 in front and 35 in rear, or pumped up enough on both ends so I don't hear the rim contact the ground anymore….I hate that sound….

mtbskierdad

May 8, 2016, 5:39 p.m.

…ST on front, 60a on rear, all year round, they wear about the same and grip is most important on the front anyways, I am off the 3c train as I found once you got past the soft outer rubber the 70a under lost a ton of grip…..also at recommended pressure too…maybe 30 in front and 35 in rear, or pumped up enough on both ends so I don't hear the rim contact the ground anymore….I hate that sound….

Just because I'm a nerd about this shit, there's no 70a in a 3c. It goes 60a base compound 42a center compound, 40a side compound. The base compound is the wrap around the casing and is stiffer to mitigate the knobs deflecting under load. If you're riding on the 60a, you have no knobs left.

None of this is meant to change your opinion, just nitpicking.

May 8, 2016, 6:47 p.m.

Just because I'm a nerd about this shit, there's no 70a in a 3c. It goes 60a base compound 42a center compound, 40a side compound. The base compound is the wrap around the casing and is stiffer to mitigate the knobs deflecting under load. If you're riding on the 60a, you have no knobs left.

None of this is meant to change your opinion, just nitpicking.

Yup, the knobs are all the softer stuff and when they're gone your on the hard rubber.

60a hold up way better in the park. MaxxGripp or ST can be destroyed in days. This is of course mitigated by a reduction in braking!

May 8, 2016, 9:17 p.m.

After riding nothing but ST DHR's I switched to VertStar Magic Mary's last year.. and they rode great for me. Where do they fall in the 42-60 gradient?

May 8, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

After riding nothing but ST DHR's I switched to VertStar Magic Mary's last year.. and they rode great for me. Where do they fall in the 42-60 gradient?

Vert star is schwalbe's softest. I really liked them. Reminded me of the slow reezay compound maxxis used to make which was a strait 40a. Finger push on the vert star compound says it's very very soft. I'd say softer than the super tacky 42a but only based on subjective experience.

May 9, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

Love them. Front and Rear. Buy from Germany. Really like the intermediate knobs, to me they just seem incredibly predictible.

May 9, 2016, 11:47 a.m.

Buy from Germany.

Don't you mean, "When you see them finally in stock on b-d.de buy as many as you can!"

:)

Hopefully last year was a blip and there won't be issues getting them in.

May 9, 2016, 4:22 p.m.

You ran DHFs!
I told you expand your horizons and it took FOREVER to do so.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 9, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

You ran DHFs!
I told you expand your horizons and it took FOREVER to do so.

LOL. Brain said one thing, hands said the other.

May 9, 2016, 7:32 p.m.

BF still rocking the blog posts.

"and we will likely have the entire buffet of offerings ready for your riding pleasure"

I just hope the Wagyu Beef is there on opening day. Do any eight-balls have the intel on a certain Mr. Merchant?