WBP 16

April 21, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

Yeah, unfortunate but probably true for the majority. Although I did meet one lady who claimed not to care about money at all, she just wanted the 'white man' out of her traditional lands so she and her family could hunt and fish. The reality of that particular situation was that years of mining, forestry, and power generation in that area meant that a traditional lifestyle was no longer possible with modern technology, and certainly not healthy.

Then again it could have just been a tactic to make me feel bad for making a living working in an area where her ancestors used to live.

Anyways back on topic. W00t for a new handbuilt technical dh track in the next 2-5 years!

April 21, 2016, 6:58 p.m.

I guess this map has the five new trails on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 24, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

http://www.sundialhotel.com/webcam-1/webcam.htm
It starts.

Thread killer

April 24, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

Can't wait. I'm hoping May 6th/7th but expecting 13th/14th.

Hope Dirty is open. Never made it over that way once this winter.

April 24, 2016, 4:35 p.m.

OMG … I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight. Have been putting lots of miles on the bike so I don't fade like a cheap t-shirt on opening day.

April 24, 2016, 4:55 p.m.

http://www.sundialhotel.com/webcam-1/webcam.htm
It starts.

Never knew about that web cam. I'm giddy!

April 24, 2016, 5:51 p.m.

Nothing makes me feel like a child at Christmas does than this coming day.

One thing I've never bothered to ask before.. how are hits measured? Say crab-hits.. 40-50 feet? From end of the lip to a foot past the knuckle in a straight line?

How big is the last step down on Lower Canadian Open? How big is the same on Upper?

April 25, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

Nothing makes me feel like a child at Christmas does than this coming day.

One thing I've never bothered to ask before.. how are hits measured? Say crab-hits.. 40-50 feet? From end of the lip to a foot past the knuckle in a straight line?

How big is the last step down on Lower Canadian Open? How big is the same on Upper?

Hits are measured?

Would be interesting to know a few of the numbers for sure

April 25, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

Hits are measured?

Think I saw stuff in Brian's blog posting a year or so ago… not to mention people are always talking about the size of the hits in the Blackcomb and Whistler terrain parks..

All I know is that things seem way bigger when you walk into them from behind.

April 25, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

Hits are measured?

They measure them the same way as snowboard jumps.

Which is from the lip to the knuckle on the landing.

April 26, 2016, 1:44 a.m.

Here, they measure a couple of the jumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1vl_2x6w5M

April 26, 2016, 8:12 a.m.

Hits are measured?

Hits are measured lip to end of knuckle, or the first place your back tire could land without being considered casing.

C-Hits are all under 50. Close, but not quite. 44/48/46.

I don't know that we've ever measured any of the Canadian open jumps. The step down is not super big.

Dirty Creek gap for example is surprisingly small. Well under 30.
Biggest A-line jump is 35.

April 26, 2016, 1:47 p.m.

The Eliot Jackson gap video is rad.

14 day outlook looks pretty seasonal, not forecast to really warm up until the 9th/10th. I'm telling myself it's a May 20th opening so if they go early I get bonus stoked.

Guessing fall/early winter is the best time of year to get a deal on a used DH rig? Thinking about selling mine at the end of this season and upgrading. Not that concerned on what I get for my rig as I am with finding a fair deal on a 2014+ bike. Some of the prices on PB around the lower mainland are comical right now… maybe folks are pricing in USD.

April 26, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

Hits are measured lip to end of knuckle, or the first place your back tire could land without being considered casing.

C-Hits are all under 50. Close, but not quite. 44/48/46.

I don't know that we've ever measured any of the Canadian open jumps. The step down is not super big.

Dirty Creek gap for example is surprisingly small. Well under 30.
Biggest A-line jump is 35.

All I know is going coming into them at speed I can't tell much of a difference between Dirty and CIU… but when I stop to show things to people they all look a lot bigger.

What's the biggest jump on A-Line? Is it the last one of Mid-Aline before the long straight-away? Or is it the left option after the rock drop?

Can't. Freakin. Wait.

April 27, 2016, 11:18 a.m.

The Eliot Jackson gap video is rad.

14 day outlook looks pretty seasonal, not forecast to really warm up until the 9th/10th. I'm telling myself it's a May 20th opening so if they go early I get bonus stoked.

Guessing fall/early winter is the best time of year to get a deal on a used DH rig? Thinking about selling mine at the end of this season and upgrading. Not that concerned on what I get for my rig as I am with finding a fair deal on a 2014+ bike. Some of the prices on PB around the lower mainland are comical right now… maybe folks are pricing in USD.

jsut as the bike park closes is a great time to buy in Whistler. Now is a terrible time to buy. I have often thought about buying bikes in fall as people cant/wont take them home, then selling in the spring for profit.