WBP 16

April 19, 2016, 12:02 p.m.

Just got my season pass yesterday but was roaming around the village trying to find an "A-Line" t-shirt, anyone know where I can pick on up?

Clearance Centre in Squamish had tons of last seasons WBP t-shirts - all styles, colours, and sizes for $12.95-$14.95.

That said, looks like CreekZone to get up to 5 trails over the course of this summer under the now branded "Renaissance Plan": http://www.pinkbike.com/news/future-you-creekside-expansion-whistler-2016.html

Faux Pas link to the "other site". But good trail summary.

April 19, 2016, 12:07 p.m.

"This summer" or the summer after Renaissance gets approved?

April 19, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

"This summer" or the summer after Renaissance gets approved?

exactly…marketing the master development plan update hard

April 19, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

exactly…marketing the master development plan update hard

Yeah… this is at least the 3rd reason they've had to re-launch the overall resort masterplan, but now with added waterpark and luxury townhomes to "wet" the appetite….

But, the Creekside stuff says "THIS summer" for the first 5 new trails. Perhaps they'll get these done before CIU More?

April 19, 2016, 12:51 p.m.

Yeah… this is at least the 3rd reason they've had to re-launch the overall resort masterplan, but now with added waterpark and luxury townhomes to "wet" the appetite….

But, the Creekside stuff says "THIS summer" for the first 5 new trails. Perhaps they'll get these done before CIU More?

"The timing of the Creekside expansion is subject to the attainment of various approvals and consultations as required for the implementation of the Whistler Blackcomb Renaissance project. "

April 21, 2016, 1:51 a.m.

Has the trail crew been able to get started working yet? Seems they could get an earlier start on Creekside. Wondering if Dusty's and RDS will be the only access points this season.

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 21, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

Has the trail crew been able to get started working yet? Seems they could get an earlier start on Creekside. Wondering if Dusty's and RDS will be the only access points this season.

Unless they're building more on the ski runs, then yes, they will be the only access points this season as the Master Development Plan still needs first nations sign off and they need provincial sign off before they start new trail construction off-piste.

April 21, 2016, 7:50 a.m.

Unless they're building more on the ski runs, then yes, they will be the only access points this season as the Master Development Plan still needs first nations sign off and they need provincial sign off before they start new trail construction off-piste.

Do you forsee any problems with the sign off? Haven't they been waiting for approval for a few years now? Has the Whistler area first nation historically been receptive to changes to the ski area or have they been resistant?

April 21, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

Do you forsee any problems with the sign off? Haven't they been waiting for approval for a few years now? Has the Whistler area first nation historically been receptive to changes to the ski area or have they been resistant?

probably 1-2 years is what the rumour mill about town is saying…It's not that FN has or hasn't been receptive, it's that they feel they haven't (they're right) actually really ever been adequately consulted and/or received benefits from the resort, so this is also about that too. Plus the RMOW needs FN sign off on their Official Community Plan which was quashed by the BC Supreme Court a few years ago because of, you guessed it, lack of adequate FN consultation. RMOW is likely only getting that FN support with bed unit allocation for new FN developments in the resort. It's a big interconnected mess right now. I would imagine with this big media push that they're well into substantial negotiations with the two FN's and that they see some light coming at the end of the tunnel, up until this recent push most people were under the impression that it was all pretty much at an impasse.

April 21, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

I fell for the marketing spin this time… saw your comment on the other bike website about it and it brought me back to reality. Oh well, it's only my third season riding in the park so I'm nowhere near bored yet.

April 21, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

probably 1-2 years is what the rumour mill about town is saying…It's not that FN has or hasn't been receptive, it's that they feel they haven't (they're right) actually really ever been adequately consulted and/or received benefits from the resort, so this is also about that too. Plus the RMOW needs FN sign off on their Official Community Plan which was quashed by the BC Supreme Court a few years ago because of, you guessed it, lack of adequate FN consultation. RMOW is likely only getting that FN support with bed unit allocation for new FN developments in the resort. It's a big interconnected mess right now. I would imagine with this big media push that they're well into substantial negotiations with the two FN's and that they see some light coming at the end of the tunnel, up until this recent push most people were under the impression that it was all pretty much at an impasse.

Could be a good oppourtunity to employ FN people as trail crew labourers. Promise of employment is usually a bargaining chip in these negotiations, maybe the success of the Cowichan FN/local bike club collaboration on Maple Mtn. can be duplicated in WBP.

April 21, 2016, 11:26 a.m.

Could be a good oppourtunity to employ FN people as trail crew labourers. Promise of employment is usually a bargaining chip in these negotiations, maybe the success of the Cowichan FN/local bike club collaboration on Maple Mtn. can be duplicated in WBP.

[HTML_REMOVED]rumourmill[HTML_REMOVED]less so when they'll probably end up getting equity share in WB……[HTML_REMOVED]/rumourmill[HTML_REMOVED]

April 21, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]rumourmill[HTML_REMOVED]less so when they're probably getting equity share in WB……[HTML_REMOVED]/rumourmill[HTML_REMOVED]

One would hope there would be more to it than just a cash or equity payout. Future generations need employment and purpose, it would be an oversight for band leaders to neglect this aspect of the negotiation.

April 21, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

One would hope there would be more to it than just a cash or equity payout. Future generations need employment and purpose, it would be an oversight for band leaders to neglect this aspect of the negotiation.

I don't disagree, but from what I've seen they're more interested in cold hard cash more often than not.

April 21, 2016, 11:45 a.m.

I don't disagree, but from what I've seen they're more interested in cold hard cash more often than not.

Yeah, unfortunate but probably true for the majority. Although I did meet one lady who claimed not to care about money at all, she just wanted the 'white man' out of her traditional lands so she and her family could hunt and fish. The reality of that particular situation was that years of mining, forestry, and power generation in that area meant that a traditional lifestyle was no longer possible with modern technology, and certainly not healthy.