WBP 16

July 19, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

Makes sense about the lightning and Garbo, thanks nickel. Alright not gonna go exploring NW Passage on a DH bike then haha. Weather this weekend looks like sun anyway so we will plan on a No Joke to BC's Trail to beers n nachos at Dusty's to finish the day.

+1 on No Joke from the road to Creekside. Even a gorb like me can carry good speed especially after the buffing up that happened late last year. I do suck at that one rock drop before the FT/NJ split-off, feel like I go too slow and then dorp to flat it.

I looked up at Freight Train berms above the bridge over Duffman last Saturday morning and they were getting completely rebuilt with heavy equipment… will be fun when done.

July 19, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

What is being built between Crank it up and C-More? There looks to be a ton of work going on.

July 19, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

What is being built between Crank it up and C-More? There looks to be a ton of work going on.

nickel already answered that http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2921926[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=304

July 19, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

Missed that one, thanks

July 21, 2016, 7:01 a.m.

Ironman this weekend. I guess its going to be a gong show. I think I skipped whistler that weekend last year,remembering the hassle from the year before. But I seem to have amnesia and not sure anymore:???:

July 21, 2016, 7:54 a.m.

It's not so bad if you can get to town early (like before the park opens) and leave late, after all the cycling is done. Parking is also a challenge, however creekside should help with that.

July 21, 2016, 12:21 p.m.

Was there on the Saturday last year and it was OK. A whole chunk of the paved free lot (Lot C?) is the bike transition area, so quite a few village parking spaces taken up with bikes ready for the race.

July 21, 2016, 3:20 p.m.

Hmm was planning on riding Sunday and parking in Creekside. It sounds like 99 North is open all day but just no left turns from Callaghan to Alpine cuz of the bike course. 99 South is good after 1pm. Is there really no southbound traffic on 99 from Whistler from 7am-1pm? Surprised they would do that and not some alternating arrangement.

From the Ironman website:

Road closures
Highway 99 south of Alpine Way will be closed from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. All vehicles should pass Callaghan Valley Road before 7 a.m.

Highway 99 north of Alpine Way to Pemberton will be closed northbound 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and southbound 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Expect delays and travel time will be longer than normal from Pemberton to Whistler when the highway opens.

Please note: Emerald Estates, Rainbow and Alpine Meadows will be significantly impacted throughout the day.

For details, view the Traffic Impact Guide.

Travelling North to Whistler
Vehicles will be able to travel northbound on Hwy 99 to Whistler throughout the event.
From 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. there will be no left turns allowed off Hwy 99 between Callaghan Valley Road and Alpine Way and delays should be expected. During this time, access to Whistler Village is via Whistler Way, Village Gate Blvd, Lorimer Road or Nancy Green Drive.

July 21, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

We have to do it because money and Whistler is dying.

If you live north of Nick, fuck you. It's totally acceptable to shut down your only means of egress for ten and a half hours for people hell bent on damaging their hearts.

Park is great right now. Someone in the lift today said TotW was completely open now.. true story?

July 21, 2016, 11:24 p.m.

can we get a mattock or two to too tight and de-channelize one or two bits? I don't think the tight was supposed to mean 3 foot deep ruts that force you to sit up everywhere…at bare minimum take out some of the pointy stumps and roots

July 22, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

Is there really no southbound traffic on 99 from Whistler from 7am-1pm? Surprised they would do that and not some alternating arrangement.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense to me… how does that even work? The Sea to Sky is the only way to get out of Whistler (going south) so how can they 100% shut it down? What about tourists needing to catch flights, people in Whistler needing to get to Vancouver for various urgent issues (medical, family emergency, etc.). Whistler probably has signs up weeks in advance notifying people of the closure but not everything can be predicted in advance. Just seems like careless idea…

July 22, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense to me… how does that even work? The Sea to Sky is the only way to get out of Whistler (going south) so how can they 100% shut it down? What about tourists needing to catch flights, people in Whistler needing to get to Vancouver for various urgent issues (medical, family emergency, etc.). Whistler probably has signs up weeks in advance notifying people of the closure but not everything can be predicted in advance. Just seems like careless idea…

it's been this way since the first year of the event, everyone has many many many months to prepare and make arrangements, inconvenient for some, sure…but it's not like we haven't known since last year that this was going to happen.

July 22, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

Park and trails are gold right now. Agree with Too Tight. And who knew Little Alder could be so much fun. The boy turned 11 and hit all of Dwayne Johnson as a celebration. Sh!t. It's over for me.

Solution to IronMan? We're going backpacking. Head to the high country. Although I bet park lines might be somewhat smaller than normal sunny summer weekend???

July 22, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

Solution to IronMan? We're going backpacking. Head to the high country. Although I bet park lines might be somewhat smaller than normal sunny summer weekend???

yup, I'm going to head up Sproatt to help on WORCA descent trail, 2 day overnight event, but riding with friends in town tomorrow.

July 23, 2016, 11:04 a.m.

Saw that work camp but wasn't sure about bringing the kids and having them hang out and work all day…