WB Clamps Down on Trails not in the Bike Park

May 18, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

I didn't actually think you were being serious, to be honest. This is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, I was trolling. Point is though, that WB 'enforcing' this risks killing the goose that laid the golden egg in the longer term. Call me cynical if you want but I take the long term view (7+ years) of these type of developments and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to figure out that WB will want to profit from riders using any trails on their land, not just the ones using the lifts and 'traditional' bike park trails.

Of course, as land (tenure?) owners, WB are ENTITLED (to use that much maligned word) to do this, and if it was my business, I'd probably want to do the same - however, as a user, I wouldn't pay to use WB trails when there are so many other good trails elsewhere in the S2S corridor

(I took a quick look at the maps Shirk posted but couldn't really figure out which "non-bike park" trails (meaning not originally authorized and/or maintained by WB) are on their land so I hope you assertion that it's a 'non-issue' is right and I am wrong.)

May 19, 2016, 2:22 a.m.

You ever hear the story of the super zealous Mountain Safety employee who chased down one of the old school blackcomb shredders after he ripped Satisfaction? I heard he is still looking for some of his teeth in lot 7.

If they seriously think I would be handing over my bike park pass for riding on blackcomb, they are absolutely kidding themselves. They would be getting a fake name and shit ton of lip.

and handing out a no trespass order.

May 19, 2016, 6:48 a.m.

Yep, I was trolling. Point is though, that WB 'enforcing' this risks killing the goose that laid the golden egg in the longer term. Call me cynical if you want but I take the long term view (7+ years) of these type of developments and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to figure out that WB will want to profit from riders using any trails on their land, not just the ones using the lifts and 'traditional' bike park trails.

Of course, as land (tenure?) owners, WB are ENTITLED (to use that much maligned word) to do this, and if it was my business, I'd probably want to do the same - however, as a user, I wouldn't pay to use WB trails when there are so many other good trails elsewhere in the S2S corridor

(I took a quick look at the maps Shirk posted but couldn't really figure out which "non-bike park" trails (meaning not originally authorized and/or maintained by WB) are on their land so I hope you assertion that it's a 'non-issue' is right and I am wrong.)

unauthorized (non-bike park) trails in their tenure, that they've dropped probably close to 100g on in maintenance and upgrades over the past 3-4 years include, Khyber, Kashmir, Kush, Ride Don't Slide, BC's, Crazy Train, Hey Bud, Microclimate…last half of Business Time, Golden Boner, Instant Grat, Yummy Numby are all also in their CRA.

We're (WORCA) trying to plan a pretty significant upgrade to Tunnel Vision with WB too, but this other shit has pretty much shut that down for the time being. They may use some of these trails, and plan to use more in the future, but they aren't shutting the public out of them and you don't have to buy a pass to ride these trails.

May 19, 2016, 6:54 a.m.

I generally am pretty anti WB, for a number of personal reasons, so this just rubbed me the wrong way. My problem lies in the fact that its probably some of the best real estate for trail building, especailly close to the village. The trail was well built, by a well respected local, who would have provided adequate maintenance. I can see why people are getting upset.

I think there needs to be better communication when stuff like this occurs, maybe the message should have come from WORCA first and followed up by WB later, rather than that blog post and then social media craziness.

It's not WORCA's property. WORCA are not enforcement, but we support them in this matter. It's great real estate for building, WB isn't even against new building in their CRA, but it has to be planned and approved. Unauthorized building always has the risk of being removed, by any land manager, and this particular build threatens their long term development plan and approvals from both the government and first nations. I'd shut it down too if I was them, especially since they have gone out of their way to legitimize and upgrade so many other trails in the area. You can't with a straight face tell me they're screwing anyone over, we've in fact gotten away with a lot over the years and they could've very easily and justifiably shut a lot more stuff down.

May 19, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/wb-worca-call-for-stop-to-unauthorized-trail-building/Content?oid=2761526

Whistler Blackcomb (WB) and WORCA have united their voices to instruct eager trail builders to stop constructing unauthorized trails on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.

As workers prepare the Whistler Mountain Bike Park for its opening on Friday, May 20, WB vice-president of business development Rob McSkimming said employees have recently seen an uptick in rogue trail-building on the northern side of Blackcomb Mountain in particular. These trails will be decommissioned.

In a May 13 blog post, bike park manager Brian Finestone wrote about how unauthorized trails can affect the park, while WORCA shared a warning to members in its newsletter the next day.

As stewards of the land, WB must ensure any development on the mountain is done properly and sustainably, which is difficult when trails are built without the company's knowledge.

"With our agreement with the province of B.C., we need to be able to let them know what we're doing with the land we're responsible for, so we have worked with them to adopt a whole bunch of trails that were built on our CRA (controlled recreation area) without our knowledge or permission," McSkimming said. "We've been through that process and they've been good about it so we've been able to bring some trails from unauthorized to authorized.

"We have to let the province know what we're doing, making sure that they're onside and from our standpoint, making sure that the trails are built to certain environmental standards, are built in ways that meet our safety concerns and are trails that will be sustainable over the long haul."

McSkimming noted liability issues are also key considerations when riders are on WB property.

While dealing with unauthorized trails doesn't necessarily take heaps of time, McSkimming explained that it means attention is taken away from the bike park and preparations for it.

"Our team is fully engaged in doing what they're doing so any time they take out inspecting, managing, looking at, putting signs up (at unauthorized trials), that sort of thing definitely takes away some time," he said.

WB brought several unauthorized trails into the fold in the summer of 2014, including Khyber, Kashmir, Kush, Ride Don't Slide, BC's, Microclimate, Hey Bud, CrazyTrain and Golden Boner. At that time, McSkimming said the company tried to send the message that those dreaming of constructing something on one of the mountains should receive WB's approval first.

"At the time, we wanted to get the message out that, again, these trails were a challenge and that we worked with the province to figure out a solution," explained McSkimming.

"We were hoping that message would have gone out to trail builders and people would have understood it's good that we're able to make that happen. We hoped that there would be a clear understanding that there would be a process that needs to be in place.

"That's where we could have done a better job and that's one of the reasons that we have been putting the information on our website and had WORCA send out some information on our behalf as well just to try to be more clear and hit a broader audience."

McSkimming said he is still working to solidify the process, but those interested in building a trail on WB property should contact him or Whistler Mountain Bike Park manager Brian Finestone. All proposals will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

WORCA president Craig Mackenzie felt it was important to help WB share its message as the two organizations work closely on several projects annually.

"We partner with them and they allow us access to utilize their trail system for Toonie rides," said Mackenzie.

"We partner with them on Phat Wednesdays. They administer a lot of land in the valley so it's important to work with them as a land controller in Whistler.

"We sent the statement of theirs out to all our members because it's obviously a concern of theirs."

Ultimately, McSkimming hopes the need to decommission the work on Whistler and Blackcomb mountains doesn't crush any trail-building spirits but instead is completed through the proper channels.

"We totally recognize and support volunteer trail-building that happens here and really, all kinds of places all over North America," he said.

"That's the backbone of what's gotten mountain biking where it is today, both here as a premier destination as well as other places.

"We certainly don't want to dampen that enthusiasm in any way. It's an important part of what makes mountain biking great."

May 19, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

It's not WORCA's property. WORCA are not enforcement, but we support them in this matter. It's great real estate for building, WB isn't even against new building in their CRA, but it has to be planned and approved. Unauthorized building always has the risk of being removed, by any land manager, and this particular build threatens their long term development plan and approvals from both the government and first nations. I'd shut it down too if I was them, especially since they have gone out of their way to legitimize and upgrade so many other trails in the area. You can't with a straight face tell me they're screwing anyone over, we've in fact gotten away with a lot over the years and they could've very easily and justifiably shut a lot more stuff down.

Agreed, we have got away with lots of stuff in the past. But i think thats why people love this town. Its definitely something that maybe we took for granted. Personally it came as a bit of a shock when I heard the rumors, as i also heard the rumours about MC getting shut too, was hoping it would just go the same way.

I know its not WORCA's property, but it is a bike trail, and they are the stewards of trails in the area. For me, personally, I would have taken it better coming from WORCA than WB.

And as much as I am bummed, I know its not the end of the world, and I definitely wont be riding it now that its closed, but still it just feels like a loss.

May 19, 2016, 12:15 p.m.

It doesn't help at all that a bunch of idiots Strava'd it.

May 19, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

It doesn't help at all that a bunch of idiots Strava'd it.

looks like a shitload of people rode and strava's it in the last 3 days!! Good thing WB doesnt check their names against pass holders…

May 19, 2016, 10:08 p.m.

^If one was a "somebody" you'd think they'd turn la strava OFF whilst poaching the forbidden fruits! ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 20, 2016, 8:52 a.m.

you can't turn off stupid

:canada:

May 20, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

Apparently the new rule of loam club is spray about poaching loudly and proudly on any and all social media…shameless, but at least my list of people to not tell about certain trails is getting nice and long.

May 20, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

Apparently the new rule of loam club is spray about poaching loudly and proudly on any and all social media…shameless, but at least my list of people to not tell about certain trails is getting nice and long.

Can't rep you! Damn.
But this is crazy true. How to blow wind on an ember to create a firestorm.
So simple to realise that no one cares that you are part of the loam club. Just enjoy it, chat around beers about mishaps, and realise that your FB/insta/strava brand is not selling anything. Turn down the broadcast from time to time.

May 20, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

Just glad I got to ride it last year. Hoepfully once the initial outroar dies down it gets left alone.