WB Clamps Down on Trails not in the Bike Park

May 16, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/dirt-stash/blog/troublems

Seemed like a long time coming. They could have handled it better though. By legitimizing numerous trails (RDS, Microclimate, BC's) they essentially encouraged building. Now the WB muscles flex and you have a bunch of frustrated builders and riders. Sounds like they want builders to navigate endless red tape and bureaucracy before setting a shovel to dirt. Sound familiar?

May 16, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

Have any trails been decommissioned?

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

May 16, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/dirt-stash/blog/troublems

Seemed like a long time coming. They could have handled it better though. By legitimizing numerous trails (RDS, Microclimate, BC's) they essentially encouraged building. Now the WB muscles flex and you have a bunch of frustrated builders and riders. Sounds like they want builders to navigate endless red tape and bureaucracy before setting a shovel to dirt. Sound familiar?

So is anything on Whistler or Blackcomb mountains the responsibility of "Whistler Blackcomb"? How far does this boundary reach? Like is the area by SCAP, Duncan's, AMPM part of WB's responsibility as well? What about Kyber?

May 16, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

From WORCA email:

" Unauthorized trails will be decommissioned, check out the article: http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/dirt-stash/blog/troublems

The WB CRA boundary directly abuts all subdivisions on the east side of the valley; Blackcomb Benchlands (right through to bottom Yummy Numby), Brio, Nordic, Creekside, Bayshores, and Spring Creek.

WB has gone out of their way the past few years to bring into the fold many unauthorized trails (including but not limited to; Khyber, Kashmir, Kush, Ride Don't Slide, BC's, Microclimate, Hey Bud, CrazyTrain, Golden Boner) within their CRA, and significantly invested in upgrading and legitimizing them. "

May 16, 2016, 9:43 a.m.

Whistler side CRA boundary map.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/construction-industry/all-seasons-resorts/whistler/20_whistler_mountain_master_plan_with_potential_development_sites.pdf

Blackcomb side.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/construction-industry/all-seasons-resorts/blackcomb/14a_mountain_master_plan_at_buildout_-_blackcomb.pdf

May 16, 2016, 10 a.m.

the other option was, and always still is, decomm'ing the whole lot. There's lots of crown land around if you absolutely have to get your build on, microclimate actually was pretty close to the chopping block at the time too. It's not so much that they are into red tape as much as they're responsible to manage their CRA and development has to be approved to satisfy the Province and other partners as a part of the Master Development plan. I get it, some people think that's bullshit, take it up with the Province then and see how far you get. WB really isn't against good trail development ideas, we (WORCA) are talking/planning with them some re-developments of old classics in the south end right now, it would suck if unauthorized builds threatened those plans.

On the south end, the ridge that drops over and into Cheakamus is pretty much the boundary, Khyber/Babylon, Tunnel Vision, and the second half of Business Time are all in the CRA, SCAP/AMPM/High Side are all regular crown land.

May 16, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

There really isn't that much crown to build on. Blackcomb is such great terrain for building the type of trails that nearly everyone enjoys. Its definitely frustrating for WB to come out like that. (Not sure if its just me, but Finestone has a way of belittling that irks me a lot).

Its definitely a sensitive area, because those trails would likely be there whether the bike park existed or not, and have existed in many cases for a long time right beside it without any real reprimand, so I see why people would get a little pissed off about it.

Just seems more and more like Big Brother flexing.

May 16, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

unauthorized building always comes with the risk of getting shut down. Unauthorized building on land tenured to third party even more so. take the time to figure out the tenure/property boundaries before you start building and you'll save a lot of people a lot of effort and grief, including yourself….(not actually 'you')

May 18, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

Agreed, although Whistler has never really had those kind of issue. Seems like in the past if something was built well you would never have the problem.
Hoping that nothing gets decommisioned and that the rumours of DC being shut down are just that

May 18, 2016, 12:10 p.m.

More than rumours I think…

May 18, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Fuck.
On a side note, What pass are they gonna revoke?

May 18, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

Fuck.
On a side note, What pass are they gonna revoke?

Your WB pass if you have one, or if you think you might want to get one in the future, they could also refuse to sell you a day ticket next time you try.

May 18, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Quck reply needed: I got a bunch of buddies from the UK who are planning on riding Whistler Valley trails (+ Squish +Pemby) this summer. Theyre not interested in the bike park.

Do I tell them to cancel the flights and the house they've rented and go to Les Arcs or the Pyrenees instead?

May 18, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

Quck reply needed: I got a bunch of buddies from the UK who are planning on riding Whistler Valley trails (+ Squish +Pemby) this summer. Theyre not interested in the bike park.

Do I tell them to cancel the flights and the house they've rented and go to Les Arcs or the Pyrenees instead?

And tell them to invest in Apple. They're going to be huge.

May 18, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

Your WB pass if you have one, or if you think you might want to get one in the future, they could also refuse to sell you a day ticket next time you try.

You ever hear the story of the super zealous Mountain Safety employee who chased down one of the old school blackcomb shredders after he ripped Satisfaction? I heard he is still looking for some of his teeth in lot 7.

If they seriously think I would be handing over my bike park pass for riding on blackcomb, they are absolutely kidding themselves. They would be getting a fake name and shit ton of lip.