Trail Recommendations Wanted

Aug. 21, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

Hi all,

I’ll be heading up to Whistler for a 3 day getaway in a few weeks’ time. Wanting to ride some non-bike park trails around there. My skill-set is at the blue and blue/black (easier black) trails difficulty. Looking for all-mountain style rides as I probably will not be able to shuttle. It would be great to find some flowy descending single-track as there isn’t much of that here in the Lower Mainland. Recommendation for trails, loops and routes welcome.

Thanks in advance

Aug. 21, 2012, 5:50 p.m.

The local gurus will no doubt point you the right way - but I have just got in from a quick blast on the Zappa Trails around Lost Lake and recomemnd them for an hour or so of fun.
I have ridden up Yummy Numby to the end of Comfortably Numb which was also great fun, plenty of downhill singletrack there (paid for by the YN climb).
Cheers Ben

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:47 p.m.

I'm not a local, but I love hitting the West side trails when not in the bike park. Ride west on Alta Lake Road,
then up at Lower Sproatt, then Beaver Ponds or Danimal, WhipMeSnipMe, Bob's and Mels, and/or add on River Runs Through It - lots of fun!

http://mountainbikingbc.ca/trail/west-side-trails

Aug. 22, 2012, 7:07 p.m.

Thanks, much appreciated. Will look into these trails some more. There is an app I found for Whistler trails. Anyone purchased it and have experience with it? Any good?

Will probably stop into one of the local bike shops to ask for advice on the morning I get up there.

Aug. 22, 2012, 8:36 p.m.

it really depends what you consider a blue trail. black trails in whistler are generally pretty tame. In fact almost anything you find on a map will be rideable or have a walk/ride around on anything gnar. I would say danimal would be the flowiest, though i wouldnt consider it a "flowy" trail. its nothing like b-line or a-line or anything like that. anything off of the sproatt flank is fun. Billy epic is fun as well. Big timber also flows pretty well. other than we have some seriously rad descents but most of the good stuff is more on the gnarly side of blue.

also business time is quite flowy as well. the fork on the left AMPM also flows nicely but again for the unprepared can be gnarly.

Aug. 22, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

Thanks, much appreciated. Will look into these trails some more. There is an app I found for Whistler trails. Anyone purchased it and have experience with it? Any good?

Will probably stop into one of the local bike shops to ask for advice on the morning I get up there.

http://trailmapps.com/

Is excellent. Very handy with the GPS tracking on it.

Start with Zappa trails, see how that goes… River runs through it is an old classic. The Emerald loops (big kahuna etc) are fun. Kill me Thrill me is another great AM ride.

Aug. 22, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

KMTM is an xc ride. it would be far more enjoyable on a 4 inch xc bike than a nomad or new enduro… a great AM ride would be hey bud, yummy numby, foreplay, some lost lake trails. emerald is rad though, but considering he wanted flowy and fun i would recommend against heading out that way.

Aug. 22, 2012, 10:59 p.m.

purchase the hard copy map in a local bike shop and some of the proceeds go to worca, easy way to support a great club. lots of good suggestions in here, you can check out this online trail map too that a friend put together last year, pretty beta version, but good to orient yourself and explore a bit before your trip http://trailcheck.in/

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:23 p.m.

Thanks for all the info guys. Taking it all into consideration and will do some research later this week when I have some spare time. Will definitely be picking up a map, or the app or both.

Norton, I was comparing the colour system with what I've ridden here on the shore. I find I can handle blue trails just fine and easier blacks (for instance 7th, lower oilcan, crinkum, executioner, pangor, severed) decently well. But if the trail has a ride around thats perfect. I'm ok with hopping off the bike when my gut says no.

And by flowy I'm hoping for something not overly technical. Not knowing the trail system in Whistler I figured there might be some trails I could hit up there that would be different from North Shore style trails. Not looking for anything like b-line, a-line or half nelson in squamish or bobsled over here.

Thanks fellas.

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:54 p.m.

And by flowy I'm hoping for something not overly technical. Not knowing the trail system in Whistler I figured there might be some trails I could hit up there that would be different from North Shore style trails.

Don't worry, plenty of dirt on the trails up there.

flickr

Aug. 23, 2012, 10:01 a.m.

if its loam you want i would say hey bud if you dont mind a bit of steep fall line or pura vida for something more mellow. Cheap thrills is also a decent option but might have some gnarlier moves.
i think the blacks here would be a fair bit tamer than the shore

Aug. 28, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

Hi Guys, thanks again for the help. I've been doing some research and it seems like the West Side trails are where I'll be heading for some riding. Question: Where is the place to park and access these trails ? I'll be staying in the village, but assume that I will need to drive from there to get to the trails? Wanting to ride pura vida, high society, danimal.

Aug. 28, 2012, 10:15 p.m.

Leave your car at the hotel, its a 15 min bike ride on the valley trail to creekside. Get your worca map from the Whistler Bike Co (in the village) guys are cool and will point you in the right direction.