The wooden bridge on Lower CIU

Aug. 25, 2007, 10:57 p.m.

look at the wire on the platform on the entry to dirty pirate (not angry cause its angry merchant), its ripped right off just like the bridge on after atlantis from bline. that bridge on ciu isnt rough cut but also isnt smooth, also everyone has been lockin the brakes up as soon as they hit the wood so its a tad sliprier. ive riden it in wet and dry and havent had a problem like bcbud says slow the frick down its not that hard, ur gonna have to pedal down the bridge to get up the hill although u can coast it chainless but not fast.

here to ride but i'm to busy building

Aug. 25, 2007, 11:04 p.m.

Rode it in the dry today, no worries. Wet you'd wanna take her easy.

Aug. 26, 2007, 8:14 p.m.

Rode it in the dry today, no worries. Wet you'd wanna take her easy.

as soon as I finished riding that bridge, someone behind me fell

Aug. 26, 2007, 8:28 p.m.

Put two or three blades on a cordless skill saw, set the blade depth at 1/4" to 3/8" deep and cross hatch the heck out of it. It'll help drain the water and offer some traction. Can't wait to ride it next month.

"The Attention Deficit Disorder Association's Book of Wild Animals of
Western Eur- Hey! Let's Go Ride Our Bikes!"

Check out my pipes at www.thomasjlipspipeworks.wordpress.com

Aug. 26, 2007, 8:49 p.m.

that one step-down into a bowl, to a nice long step-up is damn awesome

Aug. 26, 2007, 10:10 p.m.

somebody crashed right in front of me on it yesterday. He made it about 3 ft then locked his front brake and slid out.:rolleyes:

Aug. 26, 2007, 10:30 p.m.

I rode it in the wet and had no problems. If people are falling on this i sure dont want to see what happens on fatcrobat. Just slow it down

Aug. 26, 2007, 11:26 p.m.

that one step-down into a bowl, to a nice long step-up is damn awesome

Yup, super fun and the jump right after the long step up is a blast. Its a good section.

Aug. 27, 2007, 10:36 p.m.

Yeah I crashed on it as well. Just gotta take her slow.

Aug. 27, 2007, 11:08 p.m.

I tried to drop off the side of it and do a wicked trail braid cus I was chainless. But I absolutly ait shit.

Aug. 27, 2007, 11:11 p.m.

Such an awesome trail…

Ahhh, crap, that was sweet.

The thing about that bridge is that it is a full 180 degree, kinda slick, bridge that is right after a FAST section of trail. For the person who's ridden LCIU before, it's fine. But for someone who's new to that trail and pumping those sweet, sweet rollers, that bridge gets sketchy… Especially when you're going pumping roller speed.

All in all, SICK addition. So much fun.

Sober

Aug. 27, 2007, 11:37 p.m.

I tried to drop off the side of it and do a wicked trail braid cus I was chainless. But I absolutly ait shit.

:lol:

wicked trail braid

Aug. 28, 2007, 10:45 a.m.

I rode it yesterday and don't get the complaining. Sure it's a fast section coming in, but it's a great big wooden bridge with an almost 180 degree turn right after you get on it. Just how fast did you think you were going to go? It's not like you come into it blind, it's pretty much all you can see for 50 or so feet before it.

Aug. 28, 2007, 10:55 a.m.

it was raining, and although I slowed right down and stayed off the brakes my front wheel still stepped out before I had time to react, next thing I knew I was skating across the bridge on my knees.

I thought I'd reiterate the first part of this thread as it seems to have been missed by quite a few of you… pay particular attention to the part where it says 'I slowed right down'.

My concern isn't for myself, having fallen on it once I'll obviously be making double sure to take it easy on that bridge from now on. My concern was that on an intermediate trail like CIU (which in reality is also ridden by a lot of rank beginners, and fair enough) a stunt that can take you down so quickly could end in disaster for someone less experienced.

I posted this thread mainly because it seemed like the quickest way of highlighting the issue to the trail crew, and to other readers of the board; I knew it would spark a lot of internet moaning (and some decent feedback too) but I'd rather that than have some poor guy/girl break their pelvis washing out on the bridge.

Aug. 28, 2007, 12:25 p.m.

Maybe just erect a large sign pointing out that the bridge is 'very slippy when wet'?

As an aside, there was total carnage on Devils Club on Sunday. People were lulled in to thinking the trail would be fine as as the first section of woodwork was dry, but it looked like a warzone further down the trail! The were bodies lying all over the place, and when I got to the bottom and waited for mates, I could hear crashing every few seconds. Sort of pretty funny, but I hope there were no proper injuries. One of our guys did break his helmet in there…

treezz
wow you are a ass