The wooden bridge on Lower CIU

Aug. 19, 2007, 7:50 p.m.

We were riding CIU yesterday and I ATE IT on the 180-degree bridge; it was raining, and although I slowed right down and stayed off the brakes my front wheel still stepped out before I had time to react, next thing I knew I was skating across the bridge on my knees. It happened so quickly that I crushed my index finger under my brake lever as I didn't have time to get my hands out.

Please can we can some chicken wire or similar on there please? I've been riding bikes for a fair while and it caught me out good and proper, so I shudder to think how Jonny Rental-Kona is getting on down there: having a glossy, off-camber bridge on an intermediate trail seems like a risky move to me, and if it rains for Wednesday's race then things might get ugly.

Thank you!

Aug. 19, 2007, 8:09 p.m.

havent even ridden the trail but as soon as i saw pics of that bridge i thought wow thats gonna be a bitch in the wet, and someone can get really injured from a front tire slide out especially on a blue trail

Aug. 19, 2007, 9:46 p.m.

Chicken wire is not the best option, the best option would to have built the bridge with rough cut cedar. Chicken wire is easy to tear under braking and then causes more issues, not to mention that should someone bail on the wire, they will have worse injuries than just a mashed finger.

WhistlerActionCams.com

Aug. 19, 2007, 9:52 p.m.

haha, i ate it on there 2 days in a row… they really need to fix that up ive also gone by there alot, with people stopped, and ive seen the patrol there twice with someone aswell

i hope they fix that in the next couple days

I also hate the last 4or5 tables of the run, i allways hit one, and the tranny is like sideways, allways screws me up:crybaby:

2005 A-lline upgraded… 1250 OBO!

Aug. 19, 2007, 10:26 p.m.

Chicken wire is not the best option, the best option would to have built the bridge with rough cut cedar. Chicken wire is easy to tear under braking and then causes more issues, not to mention that should someone bail on the wire, they will have worse injuries than just a mashed finger.

grip tape it

Aug. 19, 2007, 11:24 p.m.

grip tape it

yea, thats an option, i was thinking more or rust-olium, a texture based paint they use on concret and such

WhistlerActionCams.com

Aug. 20, 2007, 1:58 a.m.

how about slowing the fuck down and take it easy around the corner on the bridge, and as far as I can remember the bridge is flat not off camber….its too bad the section before just rules……slow it down boys and girls….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 20, 2007, 5:36 a.m.

we use chicken wire for most of our trails at Esher Shore, because we have only 3 acres of site its easy to maintain, i would hate to think about trying to maintain wire in whistler!!

however, in high wear areas such as landing downramps or upramps, where people panic brake, we use "heavy guage" wire mesh, similar to what you might use for a dog-fence inside the rear of a vehicle

this stuff is very durable, keys into the knobbly pattern of an MTB tire to provide excellent grip even in the rain, and does not get torn like chicken wire, it needs to be installed with U-nails instead of the staples we use for chicken wiring

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 20, 2007, 7:40 a.m.

how about slowing the fuck down and take it easy around the corner on the bridge, and as far as I can remember the bridge is flat not off camber….its too bad the section before just rules……slow it down boys and girls….

no kidding eh jeff! not everything is designed to be pinned into folks!

Aug. 20, 2007, 8:47 a.m.

What … and employ simple common sense?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 20, 2007, 9:23 a.m.

This should be a poll. Do we:

a) blame the stunt
b) blame the rider
c) evaluate each case individually

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Aug. 20, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

The bridge effectively makes an offer camber turn- it's flat but you turn 180 on it, so your tyres are on one edge. As for 'slowing the fuck down', sage words I'm sure, but as I said I did exactly that and still binned it. Of course I'll be even more cautious next time, but when you think of the traffic that trail gets as a whole then I think that bridge could be a blackspot.

I suppose it'll only take a while to (dis)prove that, if Patrol spend half their time up there then I'm sure changes will take place, if it's only me who can't stay upright then not to worry.

Aug. 20, 2007, 9:51 a.m.

il take A with a mix of B. you do have to slow rigt down in the wet(right down) or else your front wheel probably will slip out. and also i blambe the stunt because the mountain has used so many options to make bridges grip, but they didnt use any on this one.

Aug. 20, 2007, 10:34 a.m.

Well i will tell ya what i tell my student's/Clients "Don't Brake on the wood, Do your slowing down before the wood" ;)

WhistlerActionCams.com

Aug. 20, 2007, 11:50 a.m.

Take the railing down. That'd slow um up.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman