The Definitive Cheap Accommodation Thread

July 1, 2008, 1:03 p.m.

Wondering about Pet Friendly accommodation's? I have 2 large dogs and plan on doing allot of weekend trips this Summer. Anyone know of cheap pet friendly places or of Dog day cares in the area?

Aug. 13, 2008, 6:43 p.m.

Last two times we stayed up in Whistler overnight we stayed at the Summit Lodge. It's right off of the Village. We book the Queen Studio which has a small kitchen (microwave, stove, sink, fridge), living area with a pull out couch and the bed. Very reasonable at about $150/night. They've got bike lockup and they allow pets. We take our monster dog there with us. Last time we went up, we took our kids along and the four of us were very comfortable in the studio. It's got an outdoor pool and hot tub and they allow alcohol at them as long as you use their free plastic cups. I highly recommend it as an option.

Aug. 14, 2008, 1:10 p.m.

Thanks alot!! I have been doing short day trips all summer, I just booked the next 3 nights at Summit Lodge. Going to be an awesome weekend.

Cheers Dude!

Last two times we stayed up in Whistler overnight we stayed at the Summit Lodge. It's right off of the Village. We book the Queen Studio which has a small kitchen (microwave, stove, sink, fridge), living area with a pull out couch and the bed. Very reasonable at about $150/night. They've got bike lockup and they allow pets. We take our monster dog there with us. Last time we went up, we took our kids along and the four of us were very comfortable in the studio. It's got an outdoor pool and hot tub and they allow alcohol at them as long as you use their free plastic cups. I highly recommend it as an option.

Aug. 14, 2008, 1:38 p.m.

there needs to be a cheap ride thread

April 29, 2009, 10:37 p.m.

I just got a studio at the Pan Pacific Village this past weekend (right by the Earls) for $139..studio suite…has a bedroom, living room with pull out couch, kitchenette-fridge/stove/microwave/dishwasher, big bathroom and they allow pets and bike storage was no problem and pretty safe…only staff get them for you, not like th eTantalus where it's one bike room and everyone with a key can accesss it! Awesome heated pool and hot tub too and a big buffet breakfast included!! Can't beat that price!

sweeeeeet

May 15, 2009, 4:44 p.m.

Im staying at the Fireside Lodge in a dorm room tomorrow night and Sunday night. $30 a night + 5% GST (Just booked 5 mins ago) I'll let you now how it goes

:aussie:

Meet my NEW ride: 2009 Santa Cruz Blur LT

May 15, 2009, 5:30 p.m.

Im staying at the Fireside Lodge in a dorm room tomorrow night and Sunday night. $30 a night + 5% GST (Just booked 5 mins ago) I'll let you now how it goes

:aussie:

Stayed there a couple of years ago.
It was the first time and only time i've stayed in a hostel and was quite impressed. You will be happy with it:fu:

May 31, 2009, 8:06 p.m.

ALOT later than promised, but here is my review of the Fireside Lodge
http://www.firesidelodge.org/

Price: $30 pp/pn +5% GST = $31.50

OK, so I stayed in a dorm room.

Location: the website is somewhat misleading, the Nordic area is much closer to Creekside than the village, but the lifts were just a 15min bike ride along the highway each morning. If you have no car, keep in mind that going to the shops entails waiting for an infrequent bus or riding. If you have a car, location is no problem.

First impression: on arrival I was met by a curteous bloke who was working reception. I was shown the shared bathrooms (nice and clean, ample space), games room (fussball and pool table), kitchen (spacious and well appointed), and dorms (addressed momentarilly).

Bike storage: I wouldn't call it secure as such (you'll understand when you get there) but I slept easy - for my mind the bikes were more than safe enough. EDIT: This has been more or less rectified recently

Dorm: Interesting. The beds were comfy enough (BYO linen or sleeping bag to avoid surcharges) but the rooms were quite cramped. I didn't care cause I was riding all day and generally passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow after dinner. There are about 7 dorms each holding 4 people. There was only one other person in my dorm for the duration of my stay (2 nights over the Victoria Day Long Weekend)

Crowd: Now here is the wierdest thing. For me anyway. The other guests didnt fit the hostel stereotype by any stretch of the imagination. Rather than the raucus boozed up U/25 uni student and backpacker types I expected - the guests were mainly retirees and young families. This didn't bother me as I just wanted to sleep at night. But eating by myself in the eating area surrounded by these people was kind of eerie. Keep in mind this was the Victoria Day long weekend. On a normal weekend the place must be absolutely deserted.

OVERALL: The Fireside Lodge was more than adequate for my needs. At $30 a night you really cant go wrong. It is the same price as the UBC lodge which is just 200m away. I would happily stay at the Fireside lodge again, although next time will probably stay at the UBC lodge, with the hope of finding a crowd closer to my age (18 ). I'd recommend this place to everyone searching for budget accomodation in Whistler, regardless of age, cause lets face it: in Whistler you'll have better things to do than sit in your accomodation.

June 1, 2009, 12:40 a.m.

ALOT later than promised, but here is my review of the Fireside Lodge
http://www.firesidelodge.org/

Crowd: Now here is the wierdest thing. For me anyway. The other guests didnt fit the hostel stereotype by any stretch of the imagination. Rather than the raucus boozed up U/25 uni student and backpacker types I expected - the guests were mainly retirees and young families. This didn't bother me as I just wanted to sleep at night. But eating by myself in the eating area surrounded by these people was kind of eerie. Keep in mind this was the Victoria Day long weekend. On a normal weekend the place must be absolutely deserted.

The Fireside Lodge is an outdoor recreation club. Those retirees and young families were probably club members. My wife and I joined the club last year and enjoy $20/night year round.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hope you come back again soon!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 1, 2009, 8:57 a.m.

Really good review!

June 1, 2009, 9:32 a.m.

Agreed. I linked your review to the main post. Thanks Oz.

June 16, 2009, 5:49 p.m.

does anyone know of a hotel that you dont have to be 21 to sign in at? me and 3 other guys need a place for crankworx and none of us are 21. any suggestions?

June 27, 2009, 3 p.m.

UBCLodge only requires you to be 19 I think

July 17, 2009, 10:57 a.m.

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but we just booked a 2BR (sleeps 6) at the Marriott for $168 through the Whistler Blackcomb site. This was the best deal we found for a suite of this size inc. breakfast.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 27, 2009, 10:38 a.m.

I dont know if its been mentioned since I havnt had my coffee yet and dont want to read the entire thread…

One night at the Delta 110$ plus 20$ for vehicle parking. They have a pool too…

Edit:

I had a great stay, they were super friendly. the bike storage was secure and only accessed by hotel staff, 2$ a day for bike storage.

The bellman are the shit there. Never met friendlier or more helpful ones.

The room comes with a kitchen, washer/dryer, huge bathroom and a patio.