Teach me how to spend a long weekend in Whistler

Oct. 9, 2008, 3:52 a.m.

Hey Guys,

(Short background, I am doing a GAP year at the St Georges School in Vancouver - West 29th just off Dunbar. In 2006 I spent 11 weeks at the school and did the BC High School XC Champs in Whistler, also spent a week in Whistler with family in 2004)

How difficult is it to get up to Whistler for say a long weekend. I

Meet my NEW ride: 2009 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Oct. 9, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

all i can say is. you'll fit just right in the demographic of whistler.

Oct. 9, 2008, 9:38 a.m.

There's a hostel located near rainbow beach. Also, all of the trails are free, all of the biking is free. The only thing you'd have to pay to ride is the bike park and you also would have to pay for a rental if you don't have a bike.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Oct. 9, 2008, 9:44 a.m.

youth hostel or some similar dive

The Shoestring Lodge / Boot Pub has been torn down, there are no dives left in Whistler. You will need to pony up a few bucks for lodging unless you can get into staff housing.

Get a Valley trail map and ride to your legs die for just the cost of the map and ignore the Bike Park.

Oct. 9, 2008, 10:17 a.m.

Then once up there it means a youth hostel or some similar dive.

I've stayed here and it's good and cheap
http://www.ubcwhistlerlodge.com

It books up fast during the ski season, don't know about this time of year.

I have no filter …

Oct. 9, 2008, 10:23 a.m.

when are you planning to be here , and for how long ?

Oct. 9, 2008, 5:12 p.m.

Go to Longhorns on Sunday night. Ride the Bike Park, it's the best thing in the world. Befriend some locals, someone will let you crash on there couch in exchange for some beer, especially up in Staff Housing.

Mountain Biking has given me the best friends in the world.

Oct. 9, 2008, 5:35 p.m.

when are you planning to be here , and for how long ?

Ah Ill be in Vancouver 6 Jan 09 -[HTML_REMOVED] 20 Dec 09

Ill get to Whistler as often as I can whenever I get time off

Oct. 9, 2008, 5:36 p.m.

Go to Longhorns on Sunday night. Ride the Bike Park, it's the best thing in the world. Befriend some locals, someone will let you crash on there couch in exchange for some beer, especially up in Staff Housing.

Good to see the slab is the universal currency for dealling with mtb'ers everywhere in the world (not just Australia)

Oct. 9, 2008, 5:37 p.m.

all i can say is. you'll fit just right in the demographic of whistler.

I hope thats a good thing

P.S. Ill learn how to use multiquote eventually

Oct. 9, 2008, 6:30 p.m.

I put a bit of info in your Farkin Thread since there were a couple of other questions there as well.

I ride Bikes

Oct. 9, 2008, 10:07 p.m.

The Shoestring Lodge / Boot Pub has been torn down, there are no dives left in Whistler. You will need to pony up a few bucks for lodging unless you can get into staff housing.

Get a Valley trail map and ride to your legs die for just the cost of the map and ignore the Bike Park.

Southside is 20 bucks a night,3 night minimum…..unless skid is looking for a weekend poolboy…….

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 10, 2008, 10:56 a.m.

if your going up for the long weekend, the liquor store is located right next to the grocery store so im sure you wont have a problem.

JDM POWER!

Oct. 10, 2008, 11:15 a.m.

What's with this adding an "s" to names of places like they are the names of people or something. Buddy will get lost asking for the location of something that doesn't exist. :) The Longhorn Saloon and Grill is the proper name but The Longhorn is what it's called. The Khyber Pass is what it's named. Not Khyber's or Kai Burr's or anything silly like that. Or how about Whistla? What? You can't spell? Forgot to stay awake at school? Crochetty(sp?) old man out.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 10, 2008, 11:59 a.m.

What's with this adding an "s" to names of places like they are the names of people or something. Buddy will get lost asking for the location of something that doesn't exist. :) The Longhorn Saloon and Grill is the proper name but The Longhorn is what it's called. The Khyber Pass is what it's named. Not Khyber's or Kai Burr's or anything silly like that. Or how about Whistla? What? You can't spell? Forgot to stay awake at school? Crochetty(sp?) old man out.

good grief buddy chill out

it's WHISTGNAR