Suggestions to the park, 2009.

Jan. 22, 2009, 12:58 a.m.

I think they need a beginer/intermediate boneyard style area. For someone like me who can do most of the trails on the mountain, I would realy like to try more stunts and slopestyle stuff but the stuff in the boneyard is huge if you have never really had any experience with that stuff. Also they need like a lower dirt merchant style trail. I get really sick of doing lower aline. I know there is wcs to b line and stuff but there needs to be something else.

this, plus more stuff like angry pirate. tight, not uber steep, but something you can go fast on, like monkey hands

Jan. 22, 2009, 10:21 a.m.

Also they need like a lower dirt merchant style trail. I get really sick of doing lower aline. I know there is wcs to b line and stuff but there needs to be something else.

The hard part about that, is that if you go to the left of the a-line enterance, you cut through easy does it and you end up like way on the side of the hill past the sunridge/brio ski out/subdivision, creeks, and off of stable mountain property I believe. And going to the right down lead right down a ski run, but I'm sure there're some spots to build a lower dirt merch after world cup singletrack. But then that would lead advanced riders down a green, which already is the case, but you know what I mean. Samurai Pizza Cat or whatever its called would serve for the connection. Now where do they build lower dirt merch?

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Jan. 24, 2009, 1:02 a.m.

this, plus more stuff like angry pirate. tight, not uber steep, but something you can go fast on, like monkey hands

AMEN!
Too Tight, Angry Pirate, Renegade: Those are some of my favorite trails on the mountain because they can be ripped and are truly singletrack in lots of spots.
Another of my favorite trails is In Deep, which is less narrow but still tons of fun.

Also the idea of some 6" bike stuff, especially over on blackcomb, is a great one! I'd love to be able to take the lift up, ride some super-D / endurance DH kind of stuff on blackcomb with maybe 3-4k feet of descent but 500-800 ft of climbing thrown in for good measure. Or even less climbing, and just a longggg, flowy, singletrack descent.
Then take the lift back up and do it all over again :-)

Jan. 24, 2009, 8:41 a.m.

I understand where people are coming from with the AM trail requests. But it seems to me that would be defeating the purpose of lift access riding. Basically as it is now you can go to the park on an XC bike and still rip down. At a little slower pace mind you. Whereas if you start building trails for AM XC than you are catering to a specific crowd. I am not going to get tired of Dirt Merchant and than pedal my big bike all over Blackcomb.
If I want an XC ride I will ride out from my house or drive to a trail head.
Whistler by the sounds of it, outside the bike park, has more than enough great singletrack to make everybody very happy.
And it is free! You just have to pedal.

Jan. 24, 2009, 9:27 a.m.

I totally agree that the valley has amazing trails, but how long does it take to go do C. Numb? I don't have the time after work for that (or the fitness):).

DH and Freeriding are available everywhere for free if you pedal or shuttle, so why do we go to parks? The quick and/or easy rewards that a lift brings. The idea of an AM trail at the WBP would be to bring that same quick and easy reward to another style of riding, and I hope it would get more people trying it. I used to do a lot of these kind of tours in the alpine and people loved them, but there is not much selection or variety in trails available up there right now and you have to go with a guide.

Jan. 24, 2009, 10:05 a.m.

I think that the diversification of the product is good too, because it will appeal to more people…..yeah the valley trails are awesome, and I'm not going to stop riding them…..but how awesome would it be to be able to take a lift up, gondy across, and be able to have a super long ride that's mostly dh, but with some climbs along the way, and a bit mellower? it's not like the regular park is going anywhere! after the RMOW built the new zappa trails in lost lake, xc riding literally exploded in the valley, those trails are fun for beginners and expert riders alike, you can ride them in the pissing rain or super dry and they don't change, in my opinion, they are the showcase of sustainable trail building, and I'd love to see something similar, but in a dh fashion, start appearing on the mountain…..excavator trails have their place, as do gnarly ones like in deep/goat's/facro……but the vast majority of people just want fun singletrack to cruise along….

Jan. 24, 2009, 8:58 p.m.

I'd certainly like some cruisier top to bottom trails too and In Verbier (Switzerland) we rode 3hr descents that were mainly lift assisted but with climbs thrown in / traverses etc rather than just straight DH blasts. Also how many people these days actually own a long travel DH bike? Sure there's the tourists who hit A Line for two weeks solid and then go home but for most people a 6+6 seems to be the way to go these days. I've ditched my big bike and selling my hardtail in favour of one do-it-all bike. Why have a park bike when I ride the Shore? A lift assisted XC / 'all-mountain' ride from the Roundhouse down that takes about an hour or so would be a cool addition. Maybe with a Tim Hortons half way down ;)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 24, 2009, 9:52 p.m.

I think that the diversification of the product is good too, because it will appeal to more people…..yeah the valley trails are awesome, and I'm not going to stop riding them…..but how awesome would it be to be able to take a lift up, gondy across, and be able to have a super long ride that's mostly dh, but with some climbs along the way, and a bit mellower? …… the vast majority of people just want fun singletrack to cruise along….

I've been saying the same thing for the past year or two. An all-mountain epic on Blackcomb would be…well it would be epic.

Jan. 25, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

Am with that too…

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

Jan. 25, 2009, 3:10 p.m.

jerome's been trying to make a case for some AM style trails on Blackcomb, jersey over above the bite across to crystal, winding way down from there…..this is potentially a huge market, especially for euro's who aren't all into straight up dh'ing…..and also judging by many comments in here, the appeal for intermediate zappa style dh trails is growing….I know I'd love to have more flowy mellow singletrack trails to take my 6"er out on…….machine built is great for beginner/low intermediate, or jump trails, but it's too homogenous and lacks in diversity more often than not….

this.
it needs to be done. Id be down with lift accessed single track am biking in the alpine. make sure you throw in some tech climbs to keep the tld pajama boys off though.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 25, 2009, 9:14 p.m.

This is just me but i think some sick new school ladder bridge type stunts including wallrides,boxes,rollercoasters,ect. Should be thrown on the mountain. Seen lots of this kinda stuff at other lift accessed hills, But have yet to see it at whistler

Jan. 26, 2009, 3:01 a.m.

Big epic curved wallrides ala "world cup" at silverstar. Oh, and better maintenance on the existing trails. Don't let 'em get so brake bumped/potholed/destroyed. Yes, I understand there are big numbers of riders and new things need to get built, well, two teams of trail crew. Maintenance and construction.

Jan. 26, 2009, 9:20 a.m.

This is just me but i think some sick new school ladder bridge type stunts including wallrides,boxes,rollercoasters,ect. Should be thrown on the mountain. Seen lots of this kinda stuff at other lift accessed hills, But have yet to see it at whistler

Wood requires a lot more maintenance. It has to be built REALLY solid at whistler to withstand the snow load and traffic. The wet weather here also shortens its lifespan.

Structures in the interior would last longer since their snow isn't as heavy and its drier.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 26, 2009, 9:34 a.m.

structures are over-rated…..give me natural flowy anyday over stunts….

Jan. 26, 2009, 9:48 a.m.

make sure you throw in some tech climbs to keep the tld pajama boys off though.

:lol: