Suggestions to the park, 2009.

Jan. 13, 2009, 9:39 p.m.

I brought a big group of guys up in '07 and they loved it. However, the bailed this year because they just couldn't justify the cost-because… What they like to ride is singletrack… And Whistler's singletrack tends to be easy blue or way over the top black/double black.

your buddies missed out, there's plenty of wicked singletrack outside the park - in whistler itself, pemberton - it's amazing. the park is only the tip of the iceberg.

Jan. 13, 2009, 10:24 p.m.

The worst thing in the whole park is that drop to flat on that right hand turn 3/4 of the way down Sidetrack.

Man I hate that thing.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:15 p.m.

The worst thing in the whole park is that drop to flat on that right hand turn 3/4 of the way down Siderack.

Man I hate that thing.

2x

Renegade=sweet!, but it will only last if teh trail head keeps hidden like it is.

I remember late last year riding it not too long after a rainfall. It was hardly able to be considered a trail… I consider myself to be a very advanced rider and couldnt even keep the bike on the "trail". The entire time i was regretting riding it because of the huge amounts of damage i was doing to it. Even ask Aeropusher..

Jan. 14, 2009, 7:55 a.m.

Totally agree with you on who is coming to ride Whistler and who ( I think ) the management would like to cater to.

Blue Velvet was built for these people, but this is not a technically difficult trail.

Maybe putting in easier ride arounds on the current difficult trails could be an option.

I didn't go to Whistler much last year, but I seem to remember Garbo turning into a bit of a gong show after the easier trails were opened up. Putting chicken runs on In Deep, Goats Gully etc would turn the trails into a bit of a nightmare on a Sunday afternoon IMHO. Plus they'd get churned up even more. Keep the hard trails hard and throw in a Karate Monkey type trail maybe? It'd be good to hit something like that all the way down the mountain.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 14, 2009, 9:29 a.m.

Great posts and good constructive feedback.

Blue velvet to the Crank it Up is in the plans but no time line yet.

I'm hoping for an epic single track that can be accessed from Garbo or the Peak Chair. Something for the All Mountain style bikes and something that will get people coming and doing all day tours with me again :)

Jan. 14, 2009, 10:17 a.m.

The worst thing in the whole park is that drop to flat on that right hand turn 3/4 of the way down Sidetrack.

Man I hate that thing.

x's 3….. I didnt think I could stuff a seat that that far into my sack….spooked me out for the rest of my stay.

2x

I remember late last year riding it not too long after a rainfall. It was hardly able to be considered a trail… I consider myself to be a very advanced rider and couldnt even keep the bike on the "trail". The entire time i was regretting riding it because of the huge amounts of damage i was doing to it. Even ask Aeropusher..

he speaks the truth….in sections the ruts were axle deep, and for me (i'm not quite the rider rampager is)…I was definitely fighting to stay on the "trail"…. By the time it turned really bad we were committed to finishing our run down it….

I'd really like to see more trails like renegade, but only if they can be supported and managed for sustainability…then again, it's a park: you can't cater specifically to everyone's wants and needs.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Jan. 14, 2009, 10:19 a.m.

I'm hoping for an epic single track that can be accessed from Garbo or the Peak Chair. Something for the All Mountain style bikes and something that will get people coming and doing all day tours with me again :)

The goat path! Its ridable isn't it?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 14, 2009, 10:27 a.m.

I'd be game to try!

Insert heavy sarcasm - DK said it was scetchy but what does he know?-

Jan. 14, 2009, 10:45 a.m.

Man I hate that thing.

www.steedcycles.com

Jan. 14, 2009, 10:47 a.m.

x1000, and it's not even to flat, it's to hole….and it's been that way since it opened sadly….a fine example of lack of maintenance…..

Jan. 14, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

I'd be game to try!

Insert heavy sarcasm - DK said it was scetchy but what does he know?-

just don't look to your left…

or this route:

Drop down here:

then just put a trail down here!

Jan. 14, 2009, 12:20 p.m.

jerome's been trying to make a case for some AM style trails on Blackcomb, jersey over above the bite across to crystal, winding way down from there…..this is potentially a huge market, especially for euro's who aren't all into straight up dh'ing…..and also judging by many comments in here, the appeal for intermediate zappa style dh trails is growing….I know I'd love to have more flowy mellow singletrack trails to take my 6"er out on…….machine built is great for beginner/low intermediate, or jump trails, but it's too homogenous and lacks in diversity more often than not….

Jan. 14, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

jerome's been trying to make a case for some AM style trails on Blackcomb, jersey over above the bite across to crystal, winding way down from there.

so much potential.

Jan. 14, 2009, 4:58 p.m.

if yer gonna build more trail, make it singletrack instead of excavator……

YES plz….

Jan. 14, 2009, 6:09 p.m.

I know I'd love to have more flowy mellow singletrack trails to take my 6"er out on…….machine built is great for beginner/low intermediate, or jump trails, but it's too homogenous and lacks in diversity more often than not….

HELL ya, sign me up. todd - what would make whistler sit up and take notice? like, the voice of the people… letters? emails? and to whom