Suggestions to the park, 2009.

Jan. 13, 2009, 10:46 a.m.

if yer gonna build more trail, make it singletrack instead of excavator……

Jan. 13, 2009, 10:56 a.m.

More big, steep rock rolls.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

Jan. 13, 2009, 10:58 a.m.

My vote is for more maintenance… And for me to have personal 24 hour, solo access to Dirt Merchant. (maybe somehow continuing it to the bottom….)

Other than that… I will always love the park!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:08 a.m.

blackcomb trials via Peak 2 Peak….

mtbskierdad

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:09 a.m.

if yer gonna build more trail, make it singletrack instead of excavator……

My vote.

Trails like renegade are great. Joy Ride, Clownshoes, Shleyer all started like this and have become wider and more eroded with traffic, weather and time.

A more 'sustainable' (ya whatever that means) single track trail that takes more time to ride and is more interesting would be great.

The excavator trails are for the intermediate riders, they didn't have an option in the Garbo zone.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

My vote.

Trails like renegade are great. Joy Ride, Clownshoes, Shleyer all started like this and have become wider and more eroded with traffic, weather and time.

A more 'sustainable' (ya whatever that means) single track trail that takes more time to ride and is more interesting would be great.

The excavator trails are for the intermediate riders, they didn't have an option in the Garbo zone.

yup, I agree, and now they have machine built from the top…..so enough already……time for some lovin' on the real mtb trails…..

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:17 a.m.

blackcomb trials via Peak 2 Peak….

one day…

haha bring back some redbull elevation style DJs to the side of the boneyard area! Or any sort of on-hill DJ park.

Also, keep taking Freight Train in its current direction. It's getting sooo sweet.

I also think that Crack Addict needs some buffing, and I'd be more than happy to come up and help fix stuff.

I also agree with Max, a 4x track with a local 4x race series like the Phat Wednesdays every other week or so. It would be a hit for sure.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:18 a.m.

I would love a Zappa trails like trail on the WBP…..

mtbskierdad

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:21 a.m.

I would love a Zappa trails like trail on the WBP…..

bit too xc don't you think?

As for Bikes on Peak2Peak! and riding down Blackcomb!

Most of the trails on blackcomb are in the 7th area. When we rode blackcomb 'back in the day' you would ride down the service road back to the base.

Can't see W/B building a trail down Blackcomb with their current resources.

Jan. 13, 2009, 11:44 a.m.

but a DH Zappa Style, with small up hills you don't have to pedal….don't need a real trail down Blackcomb, just the road to Crazy Train or the other one I can't think of right now….

mtbskierdad

Jan. 13, 2009, 5:13 p.m.

I think the argument between more expansion vs. maintaining exsisting stuff is an interesting quandry. I for one really think that expansion is the way to keep the park ahead of other parks in the world and keep more riders coming (therefore more revenue). That's not to say it shouldn't be maintained-just keep focus on expansion. How often do you hear a tourist (a person flying in to spend $$ in Whistler and ride the park) complaining about maintenence? I think a lot of the people asking for more maintenence are those who are used to Whislter, have season passes, come up from Van for the weekend a lot, etc. These people also spend less money in Whistler because they're often locals/season pass holders, etc.

But outsiders (people who come once a year and drop big cash for the week+ they're there) love options… They sit out and talk about the amazing trail, the riding, the views, etc. They're not bitching over a pitcher of beer about some of the rock work being bad on a trail, etc. It blows away anything they see at home.

I brought a big group of guys up in '07 and they loved it. However, the bailed this year because they just couldn't justify the cost-because… What they like to ride is singletrack… And Whistler's singletrack tends to be easy blue or way over the top black/double black. They're solid riders but for a vacation most of the black/double black stuff is over their head. They don't come to whistler to jump, to ride A-Line, etc. They come to have a great mountain biking (singletrack) experience. And I don't think my friends are the minority. I know a lot of the people on this board are more the A-Line/Dirt Merchant type but the people who spend the most money is Whistler (which, remember, is why the park exists) tend to be older and not into sessioning A-Line all day long. They're the guys that have full time jobs, take a week off and come out with the boys. Spend a ton of money at the restaurants, rent the $100/day bikes, drop $150 a bar, buy clothes from the local shops, etc.

And if I can throw my two cents in it would be to build more blue level single track. How to keep it sustainable? Take out some of the grade-less steep means less braking for all riders = sustainable. And it's not like expert riders would get bored with it-you could still rip it, it would just take some LIGHT pedaling in sections to tear through it. Additionally, you could have alternate lines in the track, easy blue vs. harder black to keep options open in the trail and get more riders of different levels on it. In fact, I think a lot of the double black trails could be black/double black if some of the sections had easier ride arounds. This would double the options for a lot of intermediate/low expert riders.

For as many trails as Whistler has they really only have ~5 blue trails that could be considered 'single track'. And that might be being generous. Additionally, 27 of 47 trails are black or higher.

Jan. 13, 2009, 5:36 p.m.

And Whistler's singletrack tends to be easy blue or way over the top black/double black. They're solid riders but for a vacation most of the black/double black stuff is over their head. They don't come to whistler to jump, to ride A-Line, etc. They come to have a great mountain biking (singletrack) experience. And I don't think my friends are the minority. I know a lot of the people on this board are more the A-Line/Dirt Merchant type but the people who spend the most money is Whistler (which, remember, is why the park exists) tend to be older and not into sessioning A-Line all day long. They're the guys that have full time jobs, take a week off and come out with the boys. Spend a ton of money at the restaurants, rent the $100/day bikes, drop $150 a bar, buy clothes from the local shops, etc.

Totally agree with you on who is coming to ride Whistler and who ( I think ) the management would like to cater to.

Blue Velvet was built for these people, but this is not a technically difficult trail.

Maybe putting in easier ride arounds on the current difficult trails could be an option.

Jan. 13, 2009, 6:03 p.m.

^ Well said.

I am one of the lucky ones who has spent the last few years in Whistler getting lots of laps in the park.

I'm not too sure of budgets etc. for WBP but I would imagine that (with the current state of the economy in addition to a unlucky winter thus far) there won't be too much money for the trail crew next summer. Not to mention those boys already work themselves ragged for our enjoyment.

In a perfect world, I would love to see some new singletrack too, but we've already got it better than most of the the world. I'm losing my mind waiting for the summer.

Jan. 13, 2009, 6:13 p.m.

Renegade=sweet!, but it will only last if teh trail head keeps hidden like it is. More blue single track would be nice for riders like my son, who is getting more confidence [HTML_REMOVED] wants to progress, but not in a crazy way. Hey, the trail crew can't be everywhere at once. They can only do so much. But then again, if more people are coming, that should equal more $ [HTML_REMOVED] more maintaining. Here's to Ryan Leech riding the peak to peak center cable. LOLZ.

Thread killer

Jan. 13, 2009, 7:11 p.m.

I think the argument between more expansion vs. maintaining exsisting stuff is an interesting quandry. I for one really think that expansion is the way to keep the park ahead of other parks in the world and keep more riders coming (therefore more revenue). That's not to say it shouldn't be maintained-just keep focus on expansion. How often do you hear a tourist (a person flying in to spend $$ in Whistler and ride the park) complaining about maintenence? I think a lot of the people asking for more maintenence are those who are used to Whislter, have season passes, come up from Van for the weekend a lot, etc. These people also spend less money in Whistler because they're often locals/season pass holders, etc.

But outsiders (people who come once a year and drop big cash for the week+ they're there) love options… They sit out and talk about the amazing trail, the riding, the views, etc. They're not bitching over a pitcher of beer about some of the rock work being bad on a trail, etc. It blows away anything they see at home.

I brought a big group of guys up in '07 and they loved it. However, the bailed this year because they just couldn't justify the cost-because… What they like to ride is singletrack… And Whistler's singletrack tends to be easy blue or way over the top black/double black. They're solid riders but for a vacation most of the black/double black stuff is over their head. They don't come to whistler to jump, to ride A-Line, etc. They come to have a great mountain biking (singletrack) experience. And I don't think my friends are the minority. I know a lot of the people on this board are more the A-Line/Dirt Merchant type but the people who spend the most money is Whistler (which, remember, is why the park exists) tend to be older and not into sessioning A-Line all day long. They're the guys that have full time jobs, take a week off and come out with the boys. Spend a ton of money at the restaurants, rent the $100/day bikes, drop $150 a bar, buy clothes from the local shops, etc.

And if I can throw my two cents in it would be to build more blue level single track. How to keep it sustainable? Take out some of the grade-less steep means less braking for all riders = sustainable. And it's not like expert riders would get bored with it-you could still rip it, it would just take some LIGHT pedaling in sections to tear through it. Additionally, you could have alternate lines in the track, easy blue vs. harder black to keep options open in the trail and get more riders of different levels on it. In fact, I think a lot of the double black trails could be black/double black if some of the sections had easier ride arounds. This would double the options for a lot of intermediate/low expert riders.

For as many trails as Whistler has they really only have ~5 blue trails that could be considered 'single track'. And that might be being generous. Additionally, 27 of 47 trails are black or higher.

Those are some fantastic points. I'd reccommend next time that you're in a dilemma of guiding people who can't afford a complete lift access package for a week to seek out the local trails in the hills. You have to earn your vertical but its well rewarding and the difficulty options are plenty. Best part is WORCA has put out a fantastic map that only costs around $10 that shows enough trails to keep you busy for a summer.