Stupid A-Line passing

May 23, 2006, 12:09 a.m.

only took a day and this threads outta control…..

mtbskierdad

May 23, 2006, 12:19 a.m.

today i seen a kid stop to answer his cell phone just befor the jump under the lift , i cant tell how much iyelled at him DUMMMBASS ECT…

i rode over a cell phone, or at least thats what i think it was on aline. meh.

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies

May 23, 2006, 1:41 a.m.

we know it's not perfect ( the system / drop / signage / qualifier ) but it is the best we've come up with so far .

Is there some sort of liablity issue with NOT having a bybass? There is talk of a "qualifier", yet there is a go-around???
I've never seen this a-line drop/qualifier…but how about something like the Scheyler drop with NO bypass. It's a no brainer to anyone even reasonably confident/competent…but I bet it scares a large portion of riders who at the same time, won't be clearing even 50% of the a-line jumps.

May 23, 2006, 7:10 a.m.

OMG lighten up guys, mountain biking has gone huge, whistler is it mecca. Noobs will try mountain biking at whistler who havent before and therefore will be slow, if you want to rip get a different trail accept your eutopian trail of flowy goodness has died a death. Too much traffic FAR TOO MUCH testosterome, when it opens run the garbonzo jump trails if you want to shread fast jump trails. Nuff said

May 23, 2006, 7:26 a.m.

ahhhh. man i feel sorry for people who only ride WBP and think it has any relation to real riding …

May 23, 2006, 7:28 a.m.

that is true but it is fun and its easly accessable, it also raises the profile of riding meaning more money into the sport

May 23, 2006, 7:43 a.m.

I remember my first run down A-line. I flatted near the top, and as i was walking down (the road, not the trail) I heard someone crash hard on A-line. I jump through the bush and I find grom with a bleeding hand and a dislocated shoulder. Three people stop to help, and two of use slow down traffic. The patrols are helping the kid at the top of the thirs lip ina sequence.

One of the "hardcores" comes down and ignores the first to guys telling him to slow down. The patrol started to rip him a new one, when he stopped and told the patroller to "Get that little Sh%t the f%^[HTML_REMOVED] of the trail next time". He then ripped off before the patroller could grab his pass. I was mortified that anyone who was that good, could be such a poor amabassador for the sport.

I guess the moral of the story is this"

"You stay classy Whistler"

May 23, 2006, 7:45 a.m.

Why does that not surprise me

May 23, 2006, 7:46 a.m.

NO NO

get one of those wide loads signs with the flashing lights.

hahahahah that would be awsome

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

May 23, 2006, 7:58 a.m.

who cares aslong as you have fun goin down the trail. just be safe.

I have a siren I can put on my bike for passing. omg.. Ding ding ding.

A LINE PASSSING Siren!!!!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

May 23, 2006, 9:16 a.m.

I think we all need to remember that at one time we were all NOOBS and it could easily have been us on A-line holding up traffic.

We should be more aware of slow riders and NOT SHOOT IN THE TRAIL RIGHT AFTER THEM and then complain about having to pass. I have encountered slow riders on a-line many times and always remain courteous when passing and I keep an eye on who is entering the trail in front of me, and based on their perceived riding ability, I give them an appropriate head start if necessary.

At the end of the day, having a NOOB ruin one jump is hardly the end of the world. Some people need to get over it and themselves.

May 23, 2006, 9:34 a.m.

We should be more aware of slow riders and NOT SHOOT IN THE TRAIL RIGHT AFTER THEM and then complain about having to pass.

Exactly.
If you give the guy a little room before you go, you can pin it without having to pass.

It's an easy solution, but one which few people can get through their TLD.

http://www.scottvelez.com

May 23, 2006, 9:34 a.m.

Can't we just cut and paste last years threads, and the year before that, and the year….well you get it.

A-line is the way it is, this happens every year and the same posts with the same answers and experiences come back every year. Kohut should be here pretty soon with his take on it which will be good for a few more pages of the same dead horse bashing too. I doubt it will ever change, as the mountain just gets busier and busier every year. If you don't like it, ride mid-week, evenings, or just accept it.

May 23, 2006, 10 a.m.

Somethings are just inevitable. Next somebody will ask "When is Garbanzo going to open?"

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

May 23, 2006, 10:10 a.m.

I just bunny hop over the slower riders, and by slower riders I mean anyone who is not me.

meh