Staying at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler

March 28, 2011, 3:55 p.m.

all of our rooms have been updated the past 5 years, we just got new flatscreens in the fall, but yes the hotel on the whole needs a revamp IMO, buts its not even 25 yrs old yet….funny thing is about parking is that the city hotels (Pacific RIm ,Hotel Van, Waterfront) charge the same or more for parking….

mtbskierdad

March 28, 2011, 9:29 p.m.

There is no chance the room I was in had been updated in the past 5 years. The carpet was worn and it had the EXACT same decor as when I came up and stayed in the winter of 2001! Dont get me wrong, it was a good deal for $99/night. Had I payed any more than that, it would have felt like a bit of a rip off IMO. Did I mention the lovely fruit fly infestation in one of the windows by our elevator? For a 4/5 star hotel, it is certainly lacking in many respects….just my thoughts.

March 28, 2011, 9:50 p.m.

5 years ago, we started with 8-12 floors, then we did 7 and 6 the year after, 5 and half of 4 the year after that and we just finished the rest of 4 and all of 3rd this past fall, its not as if we can do the whole hotel in one shot, we got to keep some people employeed here….I do apoligize for the fruit flys, we had an issue with them a few years ago, but I haven't seen one in a long time….and I do beleive we are lacking on many aspects, but labour is a huge part of our budget and we do pay top billing to all our employees, so other things don;t see they money they deserve, but all of Whistler is not doing too good these days…not enough destination tourists and the US market is drying up quick, not to mention our dollar is too strong for them….I see a much cheaper Whistler in the near future….

this is all great feedback and I love to hear what people think of the Fairmont…

mtbskierdad

April 11, 2011, 2:18 p.m.

I've stayed there before in the summer and it was great. The bike storage system was well done, IMO. Felt like an extension of the valet service rather than some guy pointing you to the unused space in the basement where a bike might be OK for a while.

I am also planning another visit in June, and will likely be looking at getting a block of rooms, so if you do come up with any package deals, let me know.

April 11, 2011, 6:06 p.m.

Id love to stay there [HTML_REMOVED] get a winter like room deal/ticket deal but in the summer, dont think its going to happen though at the right price point.

nice idea though.

April 11, 2011, 10:03 p.m.

Haha…Lots of people would stay at the Fairmont if it was only $150 a night.

I've stayed for $120..try Whistler.com (1800 whistler) we called from the lift and got the room for that night. Plus thier last minute deals are always good…better than paying $120 for a private room at the hostel 15mins out of town lol…

sweeeeeet

April 20, 2011, 10:36 a.m.

As it's already been said, I think you are missing the market posting here. Most of the people on this board (myself included) are going to spend enough time in Whistler to know the deals/have buddies/not want to pay for a room each weekend, etc.

I don't mind spending some money on a room for a night but even though I'm a mostly upstanding (and sometimes functional!) member of society I still feel like a serious dirtbag when I get off the mountain with a dirt version of a goggle tan. I usually feel pretty awkward walking through a nice lobby when I'm still sweaty and dirty from the mountain.

I think you will do ok with people from out of the area if you can get the word out. I know plenty of Europeans that will drop some serious money for a week or two of vacation every other year. It would probably help if you could help them arrange bike rentals or transport too. Maybe you could offer and address to recieve bikes from and to ship them back home after the stay.

Traveling with bikes is really a lot more difficult and a lot newer to most people than traveling with skis.

April 30, 2011, 5:38 p.m.

I don't think people realize how much trouble the U.S. economy is in. Less disposable income [HTML_REMOVED] their dollar at par with ours is gonna keep people away. Whistler is not alone in the need to give people an incentive to visit. Needless to say, bike security, the price of hotel parking [HTML_REMOVED] room rates are crucial to attracting bikers. Just some random thoughts.

Thread killer