sgc adult camp

July 25, 2014, 7:55 p.m.

did a quick search but havent seen anything much posted about sgc since 2011.

heading up tomorrow for a week of sgc. Hopefully that day or two of rain will help get the dirt back to tacky . I've heard the pros and cons, but in the end decided I'm not getting any younger, and wanted to give it a try. First two things I packed were a giant bottle of advil and 3 boxes of band-aids for my hands. Bikes been stripped and cleaned, and new minions went on last night. Biggest goal is going to be to get better in the air (maybe secondary to staying able to ride for all 6 days). Foam pits and airbags should be fun.

If anyone is interested I can post up what each day ends up being like if I'm not drunk or asleep by 7:30

July 25, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

Will be interested to hear how it goes, I've been considering doing one for a year or two now.

July 26, 2014, 1:51 a.m.

That was probably me.

You are going to get a lot of instruction. If you think you're thinking about riding too much while you're riding, stop riding. Otherwise, say hi to Dr. Remple for me.

July 26, 2014, 2:55 a.m.

If anyone is interested I can post up what each day ends up being like if I'm not drunk or asleep by 7:30

Please post after each drinking session.

July 27, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

Rode 10:30-5:30 with a break for lunch. First day so they are figuring out groups. Did some sessioning on some jumps to work on technique, the ran through crank it up to work on it. After that used our coach as a "follow me" through some stuff we wanted to hit. I put myself in the intermediate group as I haven't been riding much the last couple years. Probably could have bumped up to advanced but it was a good first day to warm up. Ran crank it up, blue velvet, freight trian etc. Did the container drop on freight train, drop in clinic. Managed to clean some stuff I'd been casing. The new entrance to dirt merchant is fun. Was a mix of stopping occasionally to go through what to try in certain situations (berms, jumps, tech) and riding with pointers about what was coming up next.

Basically day 1 and am already feeling better on the bike than I have in awhile. Cleared some new things and tried a few things I may have walked if I was just up by myself.

Big thing to guard against seems to be fatigue. I was pretty damn worked by end of day one, and there's 5 left to go. Tomorrow they open the airbag.

July 27, 2014, 8:15 p.m.

i know a lot of the coaches this week some good dudes to ride with for sure, seemed like adult week is huge maybe they should stop doing the kids haha

July 27, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

Who's coaching this week?

July 27, 2014, 9:54 p.m.

good stuff wingnut keep these going, will be interesting to read. i've thought about these camps and hey, when i win the lottery i'm in.

July 27, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

Basically day 1 and am already feeling better on the bike than I have in awhile. Cleared some new things and tried a few things I may have walked if I was just up by myself.

Big thing to guard against seems to be fatigue. I was pretty damn worked by end of day one, and there's 5 left to go. Tomorrow they open the airbag.

Nice,

Remember NO RUSH. Sometimes you have to slow down to go fast, better to ride another day then push it today…

FYI, I did some volunteer patrol work in the bike park.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 29, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

Recognized a few coaches but haven't met with all of them. Rode win Duncan first 2 days and Jack today. Saw Katrina strand, Adam billinghurst, and Aggy showed up yesterday.

2nd day we did one easy run then started sessioning through some harder bits. You could tell people were tired but after a warm up lap everyone got into it. Did all the drops on Schleyer and clown shoes. Clown shoes was pretty fun. Trying to remember the order of trails. I know joyride was in there, and we got up to do freight train at one point. Day two was a really good day. Mix of tech and flow, and hitting a lot of jumps or drops I've previously passed by. No crashes and our group made everything we attempted. Was a day where everything became easier than it looked and you could tell everybody's confidence was up.

Day 2 ended with a session at the airdome. One thing I was not prepared for was the drop into the ramps. Messed with my head standing at he top. Once I did it it was ok, but that first one was a lesson for sure. Definitely gave more respect for the guys that ride big ramps. Aggy was showing off some style and back flips into the pits. It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Not a lot of people showed up.

Day 3 people were bagged. We worked on a few things but you could tell energy levels were low. Most groups went up to top of the world, but our group elected to work on other stuff. Still a good day but we pretty much took it easy compared to day 2.

We finished day 3 in the airdome again. Trying tables and whips, or just goofing around. Still haven't gotten to the airbag. Maybe tomorrow. Ended the day with a broken spoke and a kinked neck from the airdome.

Everyone's hoping tomorrow we get some energy back. I actually felt pretty good today but my hands are starting to feel it. Under the blisters are what feel like bruises. It's brutal the first 2 runs then my hands get kind of numb and it's not too bad.

July 30, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

Sounds like a pretty sweet camp week so far. I'm doing the WBP Elevation thing this weekend, might look at an SGC adult week next season. Thanks for sharing and hope the rest goes well.