schleyer....wtf?!

July 8, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

Rode it yesterday. hardly any difference. You haters just hate.

July 8, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

Rode it yesterday. hardly any difference. You haters just hate.

agree, seemed more like what it used to be

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 8, 2012, noon

whatever man, I still go plenty hard enough for a 35 year old…and the steep tech loam I rode in the valley yesterday was 100x better than an easy schleyer, but hey, to each their own. and for the record, yes I hit all the new features on schleyer, first time down it Wednesday, and it was kinda boring, even going fast. and now to go ride more valley radness, valley troll, amazing!

LOL, another post from Flip saying how he rides the valley trails instead of the bike park. Dude, we get it okay, you are better than all of us who ride the park.

Thread killer

July 8, 2012, 12:17 p.m.

ahahahahahaahhaahahaha

where is your god now?

while the huge increase in the popularity of mtn biking has brought a lot of positives for the sport, we now seem to be reaping some of the negatives. i know many of you will say "oh there goes syncro off on his bleating rant again", but back when mtn biking was a bit more of a fringe activity the attitude was a lot different. if you couldn't do something you walked it until the time you summoned the cajones to try something you saw as difficult. if you crashed it was your own damn fault and you cursed yourself for screwing it up all the while smiling from the good times that fear gave you.

anybody wanna go ride dh bikes on the seawall?

You have pretty much nailed it. The way things are going trails are soon going to be wheel chair accessible

July 9, 2012, 12:13 p.m.

I dunno'… hit it the first time and flowed right through… stopped under the chair to turn off Schleyer and hit Smoke N' Mirrors, Blueseum, Wednesday, Afternoon Delight, Tech Noir…. and all the way was thinking how sweet that whole line was.

Did a repeat as much fun was had riding park singletrack. The wood bridge/drop replaced by the natural rock (original??) drop was super nice.

Also thought that the machine built trails like A-Line and DM were running smoother than in the last couple years. The rebuild of the three big A-Line hits on the next to last section is great.

Garby zone is battered from winter, but No Joke and Duffman were riding pretty well by Sunday, as was most of Freight Train. That's a tough job up there this year for the crew.

What is amazing is the amount of woodwork lines being dropped from the park and rerouted - Blueseum completely deconstructed after on season, and Smoke and Mirrors wood line is now an "option" - likely until it's dead. Old Skool is finally skooled and gone. Wood is dead and buff is the new skinny.

July 9, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

buff is the new skinny.

I like this saying.

July 9, 2012, 1:28 p.m.

http://wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(12)00015-4/fulltext

Kn.

Interesting that only 5% of those injured were wearing body armor beyond a helmet. I'd like
to know the injuries the ones with body armor received. Basically, does BA appear to prevent
certain injuries (spinal, ribs)? How many had neck braces and what were their injuries. With
11% or so had brain injuries, where they buckets or FF, dot approved etc.
I know that's asking a lot but it would be interesting if they could get that info too.

Never thought Schleyer was rough ever. I'm sure whatever the trail crew did will be fine by me.
I sure hope I get a chance to get up there this year and find out.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 9, 2012, 1:40 p.m.

This thread reminded me of this gem (start at 0:53):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftYX_zsT18w

pave the world!

July 9, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

Schleyer is one of my favourite runs in the park and after all of these complaints that they had ruined it, I was pretty nervous heading up this weekend to try it out after buffing, but I think the complaints are highly overblown. The trail fairies' work was transparent and in my opinion did not take away any of the character or fun of the trail. A big thumbs up from me!

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

July 9, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

Riding it the day it opened, it was clearly a faster slicker beast. I'm sure by now it's beat up a bit already. Just like the reroute on lower whistler dh. That's gonna be bedrock in no time

July 9, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

When Schleyer was first built, it wasn't "tech" or "gnar". It was smooth and flowy with jumps and drops. Since then it's been pounded and eroded by countless thousands of bikes into it's current form…

This. I lived in Whis in 2000 when Schlayer was built and it was built smoother, faster and "flowier" than the other (expert) trails on the hill at the time. It (and B-line) were where we would go to rip fast and flowy trails, the DH course etc. were the rough ones.

Buff that shit I say, it's a ski hill. If ya want long-term gnar, you're going to have to go somewhere less busy.

July 10, 2012, 8:52 a.m.

Trails and riders evolve.

I was riding one of the Valley trails on Sunday with a buddy of mine and old XC Racer turned Roadie who was back on his mountain bike for the first time in a year. Can’t recall the trail, but we rode a section where there is a runged ladder bridge, and options to ride skinnies off to the side. Two section of this, back to back. I ride the bridge, which is about 2’ wide, and he yells out, “Why aren’t you riding the skinny?”, and my response, “I’ve retired from skinnies, but there is another coming up- fill your boots”. Next section, I hear the awful crunch that comes from crashing on 4” wide skinny. “And that is why I’ve retired from skinnies!”. I can’t be bothered anymore, and seriously, the whole concept of skinnies what were we thinking, back in the day? The idea was to put in place bridges of recycled deadfall to allow us to traverse the terrain and fall-line in section that would otherwise be not passable or require massive chainsaw work and digging. The bridges nowadays are built better and make way more sense than the invitation to a free castration that skinnies are.

There are a lot of drops I won’t bother with anymore, either. For example, Piledriver I don’t even know if it is still on Boogieman, it’s been so long, but if it is, I won’t do it anymore. Likewise, there is a lot of stuff now that I ride on my AM bike that I’d only previously do on my DH and a lot of that has to do with my aversion to shuttling, and loving the long, epic day. I lot of good, natural drops with smooth transitions that ride smoother, and are easier on the bike and body. Loving the natural gnar, and pedaling to it, not driving to it. Can’t stand pedaling my DH up any incline, so AM bike it is.

I rode Schleyer two Saturdays ago seemed to be the same. The trail has definitely eroded over the years, but there are still fast lines through it. I’ll try it out Friday, who know, maybe I’ll like it better. Besides, there is always the Garbo zone.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

July 11, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

I'm prepared to eat crow and rescind my previous comment…I was just so used to trail buffing lasting longer on other stuff trail crew has worked on, I feared the worst….it's definitely worn in fast over the past week and I had a lot of fun racing on it tonight….grovelgrovelgrovel :)

July 12, 2012, 8:54 a.m.

Rode it in my race run for the first time this season. It's definitely changed for the better. Straighter at the top and that annoying left after the rock garden is gone and it's a straight shit into the berm to drop. Since it was my first time into it I was unsure of the line into that section but still super fast. Nice job trail crew.

mtbskierdad

July 12, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

I,m glad that you lucky pricks, who actually live there,are happy now:drool: