schleyer....wtf?!

July 5, 2012, 12:07 p.m.

When Schleyer was first built, it wasn't "tech" or "gnar". It was smooth and flowy with jumps and drops. Since then it's been pounded and eroded by countless thousands of bikes into it's current form

When the trail crew takes the time to close and rebuild something, they're trying to make it so they don't have to go back again for a couple years. They know that it will get thousands and thousands of riders, so they don't just add a few buckets of dirt or take out a few roots. They know that they might as well spend a lot of time and move a lot of dirt and fix a lot of things. So now it's back to smooth and flowy again.

As mentioned before, don't worry, it will get brutalized back to rooty and rocky soon enough. For now, enjoy it the way it is.

yes I understand this, and don't disagree, but when you know all the lines and can rail through the tech, it's pretty weird to drop in for the first time of the year and literally not have to do anything. Yeah it's fast, but I could ride it fast before too….I'm just turning into a whining old bitch I guess. but to be honest, it's probably also why I barely get into the park one day a week this year and am loving riding in the valley.

July 5, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

Schleyer has been buffed with dirt, ie complete opposite of CBC. I've ridden the buffed Schleyer and I think it's a whole lot faster and funner. Cheers to the Whistler Trail Crew! :beer:

PS: If it's too easy for you, you're not going fast enough.

im not refering to the type of fill, but the fact its apparently been filled at all.. not every trail neds to be smooth as a boardwalk to be flowy..

time to break out the superzeros and those old ten-speeds, sounds like the trail is primo for a new film..

July 5, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

^ return of the zeros! :beer:

July 5, 2012, 5:34 p.m.

yes I understand this, and don't disagree, but when you know all the lines and can rail through the tech

who doesn't love a new trail, even if it's an old trail?!?!! In a year you'll have new tech lines.

July 5, 2012, 7:05 p.m.

When Schleyer was first built, it wasn't "tech" or "gnar". It was smooth and flowy with jumps and drops. Since then it's been pounded and eroded by countless thousands of bikes into it's current form

god, no doubt. I stopped riding it cause it was too depressing remembering how it was.

can't wait to check it out!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 6, 2012, 7:07 p.m.

rode schleyer today.

oh todd….

felt like the good old times!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 6, 2012, 8:09 p.m.

These threads are great. So you nail the extendo-booter into the last drop eh? I imagine you're also catching tranny on the jump out of the double berm after the first drop? How bout the rainbow bridge, maybe you miss overshooting that? Maybe you miss the janky corners after the rock garden before the chairlift drop? :rolleyes:

Go faster, trail gets harder when you go faster. True story.

July 6, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

Go faster, trail gets harder when you go faster. True story.

thanks for the hot tip, champ

July 6, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

New account, 5 posts in and already into full on "win friends and influence people" mode, eh?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 7, 2012, 6:08 a.m.

I'm sorry, you're right, Schleyer is definitely too easy now. Can we be friends?:nolove:

July 8, 2012, 12:29 a.m.

Moar huckz to flat.

As someone that does not own and has never owned a full on DH bike I kinda like the trend to trail smoothing. Makes life a wee bit better on the smaller bikes.

Makes it a wee bit to easy for the nubs too, which gives them false hope and confidence leading to more people getting carted off by rescue.

In whistler it doesn't matter, it gets shit kicked within a week anyways, and so does the shore, unfortunately with the number of new riders and the growing sport the nsmba is doing what they can to "preserve" the trails for everyone regardless of whether they are dumbed down or not. nothing will be like raper pre-reaper anymore because it's too core for the soccer mom hugging kids.

Clunking is for retards.

July 8, 2012, 8:25 a.m.

Seriously, I don't get all the crying over trail refurbishing. Try to remember what trails were like when they were new, and how fun it was to ride the smooth loamy goodness. Eventually, it wears away and everyone gets used to the new flavor of the trail, but that doesn't mean it's how the trail has to be, or even should be! Try to remember how much bike park trails have changed over a year, 3 years, 6 years. Just because your "line" is now not so apparent, does not mean it has been dumbed down, or that a trail isn't technical anymore, try to envision how it too will change over a week, a month, a year. When was the last time Schleyer got comprehensive love? When will the next time be? What new things are possible on the trail you hadn't envisioned before?

In my opinion, Schleyer is still difficult and I know I get to the bottom heart racing, big smile, and with a bit of lingering fear. The main difference is that the speed of the trail is more constant, with less interruption by super slow obnoxious corners from a decade ago.

Please feel free to return to your previously scheduled ramblings about how awesome things were back in the days of monster Ts and Super 8s, when trails were real and men were men.:rocker:

July 8, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

I'm just turning into a whining old bitch I guess.

I guess I missed this, and you do know the score. Carry on then valley troll.

July 8, 2012, 8:47 a.m.

I guess I missed this, and you do know the score. Carry on then valley troll.

whatever man, I still go plenty hard enough for a 35 year old…and the steep tech loam I rode in the valley yesterday was 100x better than an easy schleyer, but hey, to each their own. and for the record, yes I hit all the new features on schleyer, first time down it Wednesday, and it was kinda boring, even going fast. and now to go ride more valley radness, valley troll, amazing!

July 8, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

Nickel is shaloamer?