Route suggestions - Primarily not WBP but maybe with a WBP intro?

Aug. 30, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

I'm heading up to Whistler for 4 days on Thursday with the family and looking for suggestions on what to ride. Here’s what I’m looking for:

- Ride lengths 1-3 hours (it’s a family vacation so I can't really go off for the whole day by myself!)
- I’m a gravity oriented rider looking for blue / single black trails with some flow to them. I don’t love super technical / trials type riding in general but especially the uphill / XC kind so my ideal ride would be one with an easier single track or fire road uphill part followed by an extended downhill section. I love downhill trails that combine some tech with flow and easier drops / jumps / pops.

Some of my favorite trails so far in other riding areas:

- Floppy Bunny, 7th/ Espresso or 7th / Pipeline (Fromme – North Van)
- Corkscrew / Pingu / Boogieman / Boogie Nights, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin (Seymour – North Van)
- Fat Tug (the downhill part!), (Pemberton)
- Half / Full Nelson, (Squamish – only have had a chance to ride Squamish once so didn’t get a chance to try much else)
- Evo / Unemployment Line / Atomic Dog (Galbraith, Bellingham)

Since I don’t have much time and would just like to ride my trail / all mountain bike I will likely avoid the WBP unless I get a sampler ticket (3 uplifts) or maybe a single top of the World Ticket. If I did either of these options, does anyone have suggestions on routes to ride for the first time with a non-downhill bike?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug. 30, 2016, 2:36 p.m.

Lots of awkward pedally stuff in Whistler Valley. Flowy, continuous descents are the exception. Trails that come to mind are:

- Any of the Blackcomb options (Microclimate - easier; Hey Bud, Crazy Train - steeper) - better in the dry
- Golden Boner
- Heavy Flow to Tunnel Vision
- Howler - was pretty dusty when I did it a couple weeks ago, but will be great if it rains
- Kush - would be pretty scary in the wet; steep loam
- Pigs on the Wing / Short Bus - some fairly challenging sections, but fun, steep trail

Expect mostly steep gravel climbs. You will want to have more gears than you have.

There might be more, but that would be my list. You can also get a 3 run ticket for WBP.

Aug. 30, 2016, 3:31 p.m.

I'll second the Blackcomb options (Microclimate is a great option), as well as Pigs/Short Bus. I'll also add A River Runs Through it.

You might also consider a single lift up Whistler to do Top of the World, then either flow into the village, or take the Ride Don't Slide option.

Aug. 30, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Up Kaidenwood to Lower Babylon, See Colours and Puke / Highside / HiHi then either Duncan's It's Business Time or Tunnel Vision or Heavy Flow. Hard to avoid climbing in Whistler.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

Aug. 30, 2016, 5:25 p.m.

You need to ride the bike park it is right up your alley and will blow you away. Tick off all the blue trails, or go in a half day lesson program to make the most of it.

Aug. 30, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

You might be better off to get a twilight pass (extended play) for that day. I started at 3:30 the other day [HTML_REMOVED] rode until closing. Might be a better deal for you than a 3 lap sampler? $17.00 more, but if not busy you can get more than 3 laps in.

Thread killer

Aug. 30, 2016, 8:36 p.m.

- I’m a gravity oriented rider looking for blue / single black trails with some flow to them. I don’t love super technical / trials type riding in general but especially the uphill / XC kind so my ideal ride would be one with an easier single track or fire road uphill part followed by an extended downhill section. I love downhill trails that combine some tech with flow and easier drops / jumps / pops.

You need to ride the bike park it is right up your alley and will blow you away. Tick off all the blue trails, or go in a half day lesson program to make the most of it.

What Kevin said.

I'm not overly familiar with all of the various valley trails but I think you'll find more of what you described above in the bike park vs. the valley.

Aug. 31, 2016, 9:27 a.m.

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions! It sounds as if the wild card will be the weather. No matter what I will still get out, but I may have be a little more conservative about what I ride in the wet. Probably no Top of the World or Kush if its wet and poor visibility like it looks as if it will be.

I suspect it might still be worth doing one of the 3 up lift or evening bike park passes though. I'm guessing its a lot less busy when the weather is crappy.

Aug. 31, 2016, 9:39 a.m.

if it rains do the See colours/high side/hihi/ibt/ampm loop via kadenwood, the climb isn't totally terrible and those trails are super fun with some moisture

Sept. 1, 2016, 11 a.m.

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions! It sounds as if the wild card will be the weather. No matter what I will still get out, but I may have be a little more conservative about what I ride in the wet. Probably no Top of the World or Kush if its wet and poor visibility like it looks as if it will be.

I suspect it might still be worth doing one of the 3 up lift or evening bike park passes though. I'm guessing its a lot less busy when the weather is crappy.

I rode ToTW two years back with heavy cloud and a bit of rain. It was still worth it, in fact I found it a cool experience. Extremely queit up there as the clouds kill all sound and few people riding it. Lots of times really felt like riding on the edge of the world becuse of the limited visibility.

Definitely don't discount it if there isn't perfect blue skies.

Sept. 1, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

I rode ToTW two years back with heavy cloud and a bit of rain. It was still worth it, in fact I found it a cool experience. Extremely queit up there as the clouds kill all sound and few people riding it. Lots of times really felt like riding on the edge of the world becuse of the limited visibility.

Definitely don't discount it if there isn't perfect blue skies.

How 'risky' is it to do TOTW down one of the non-bike-park lines (down RDS, Khyber, etc.) in terms of being remote, potentially getting lost, getting injured or getting a mechanical and being very far from civilization, etc. I assume WBP doesn't do a "sweep" on those routes since they are outside of the bike park.

I assume the answer is just to ride with a buddy or two and bring extra supplies?

Sept. 1, 2016, 12:55 p.m.

risk is relative…I do it by myself semi-frequently, others would probably feel like that's risky, I ride within my limits and take my time so I feel like it's not. if you don't know exactly where you're going, or how difficult you'll find the route, you should probably stick with a group and give yourself lots of time. And, No, they don't patrol the non bike-park trails, they're considered out of boundary.

Sept. 1, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

I assume the answer is just to ride with a buddy or two and bring extra supplies?

naw… the two guys we ran into with no packs, tools or water were having a great ol' time walking their bikes with flat tires down the mountain.

Sept. 2, 2016, 3:26 p.m.

naw… the two guys we ran into with no packs, tools or water were having a great ol' time walking their bikes with flat tires down the mountain.

I'll never ride TOTW (let alone go out of the park from the lifts) without tubes and basic tools again after this happened to our group last year late in the afternoon. Of course the guy that it happened to had a bolt on rear axle making it worse. Luckily a passer-by came through and helped us out, he was the only person the came down after us too. We got lucky, never again.