River of Golden Dreams patrol?

July 27, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

Hi,

Gonna be in town for August long with a bunch of biker and non-biker friends. We are thinking of doing the River of Golden Dreams float one afternoon to beat the heat. Does anyone know if the RCMP are actively patrolling the river and handing out tickets for no life jackets and/or beer drinking? We are a bunch of mid-30's professionals and will not be acting like jackasses, littering or messing with anyone else's experience, just want to stay cool and have a couple IPA's doing so.

cheers

July 27, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

Hi,

Gonna be in town for August long with a bunch of biker and non-biker friends. We are thinking of doing the River of Golden Dreams float one afternoon to beat the heat. Does anyone know if the RCMP are actively patrolling the river and handing out tickets for no life jackets and/or beer drinking? We are a bunch of mid-30's professionals and will not be acting like jackasses, littering or messing with anyone else's experience, just want to stay cool and have a couple IPA's doing so.

cheers

they do, if you're discreet you could probably get away with it, but the bigger problem is that the water level is getting pretty low which may make it way less floaty and more walky

July 27, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

they do, if you're discreet you could probably get away with it, but the bigger problem is that the water level is getting pretty low which may make it way less floaty and more walky

Duh, meant to ask about that as well… Thanks for the heads up, might reconsider if there's gonna be hours of walking involved, we will just hangout at Rainbow park instead. Cheers.

July 27, 2015, 8:36 p.m.

it has been very low everytime i have been by there lately.
Police too.

July 27, 2015, 10:08 p.m.

Cops in whistler have nothing better to do than to sit along a river in the forest waiting to catch people floating down while drinking a beer without a life jacket…? Dont they have more important issues to deal with?

July 27, 2015, 10:39 p.m.

Cops in whistler have nothing better to do than to sit along a river in the forest waiting to catch people floating down while drinking a beer without a life jacket…? Dont they have more important issues to deal with?

The garbage left by people floating the river can be pretty appalling so cutting down on the hooliganism isn't such a bad thing. There's nice bars you can drink at anyways, moe Joe's is filling the bar with sand soon if you want the drink on the beach vibes haha

July 27, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

No not really. I've not ever done it but observed the scene from a distance. Think mangled drunk floating mess loud ignorant assholes. Like everything 5% ruin it for everyone. So people complain and the police have no choice.

July 28, 2015, 7:20 a.m.

'Dozer it appalls me that we have to have cops attending to problems on a place as natural and beautiful as the river of golden dreams , but if there wasn't a problem , they wouldn't be there .

And unfortunately , the young folks who caused the problem only have themselves to blame . . . Rampant excessive drunkeness , garbage including empty beer cans and punctured discarded rafts and completely inappropriate behavior ( " hey mom , show us yer tits !" , in front of the families' young children ) are some of the reasons police have been forced to show up .

I think it is great that the lake is a popular place for the young people to hang out , much the same as it was back in the early part of the last century . Five years ago this wasn't a problem , now it is one of the reasons people don't want to come to whistler .

I have no sympathy for these disrespectful louts , and support any law enforcement to deter this bad behavior .

And yes , I am one of those who used to enjoy a quiet paddle down the RDG on a nice day . . . Now it is not a nice thing to do , and even when the drunks aren't on the water , the garbage they have left behind ruins the experience .

July 28, 2015, 8:01 a.m.

well shit.

July 28, 2015, 11:25 a.m.

'Dozer it appalls me that we have to have cops attending to problems on a place as natural and beautiful as the river of golden dreams , but if there wasn't a problem , they wouldn't be there .

And unfortunately , the young folks who caused the problem only have themselves to blame . . . Rampant excessive drunkeness , garbage including empty beer cans and punctured discarded rafts and completely inappropriate behavior ( " hey mom , show us yer tits !" , in front of the families' young children ) are some of the reasons police have been forced to show up .

I think it is great that the lake is a popular place for the young people to hang out , much the same as it was back in the early part of the last century . Five years ago this wasn't a problem , now it is one of the reasons people don't want to come to whistler .

I have no sympathy for these disrespectful louts , and support any law enforcement to deter this bad behavior .

And yes , I am one of those who used to enjoy a quiet paddle down the RDG on a nice day . . . Now it is not a nice thing to do , and even when the drunks aren't on the water , the garbage they have left behind ruins the experience .

Argh, awful to hear it's gotten so bad in only a few short years. Not sure what the answer is, forced labour community service penalties? The garbage is especially disturbing.

Our new plan is hang out at Rainbow park for a few hours Saturday. I'll get my friends to take my swim stuff over so I can go ride A River Runs Through It and go straight into the lake after. Haven't ridden that trail before and hear it's fun.

July 28, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

I'd skip RRTI personally, not worthy of the popularity it seemingly has. better to head out of rainbow park, hang a left on west side road, then hit the trail to the right almost immediately, climb that to the bottom of danimal north, head up the bottom of DN and look for a new trail on the left called hotdog alley, follow that to Scotia Creek, go right up the service road and up to Stonebridge drive, then you can do any number of rad rides that will dump you back in the Rainbow park vicinity that are way better than RRTI

July 29, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

I'd skip RRTI personally, not worthy of the popularity it seemingly has. better to head out of rainbow park, hang a left on west side road, then hit the trail to the right almost immediately, climb that to the bottom of danimal north, head up the bottom of DN and look for a new trail on the left called hotdog alley, follow that to Scotia Creek, go right up the service road and up to Stonebridge drive, then you can do any number of rad rides that will dump you back in the Rainbow park vicinity that are way better than RRTI

Lol @ RRTI. We raced it in the toonie the other week. After not riding it for a few years, i was like "WTF is this shit? How was this the benchmark of trail riding not much more than 5 years ago".

Still blows my mind how quickly trail riding for me has evolved.

July 29, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

I've only done one day on valley trails in Whistler and it was Pura Vida/Ala Mode/3 Birds/Danimal back in March. Had a blast so maybe I'll repeat and tack on Danimal North down to the lake? How do Legalize It and High Society compare to Pura Vida? I'm not a double black rider and will probably be solo so don't want to push it, Pura Vida was for sure in my comfort zone though.

cheers guys for the tips.

July 31, 2015, 9:58 p.m.

It's like a history lesson of sorts riding it though. I only ever hit it twice back in 2012 when I was last there, and I certainly didn't regret it.

Aug. 2, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

It's like a history lesson of sorts riding it though. I only ever hit it twice back in 2012 when I was last there, and I certainly didn't regret it.

don't get me wrong, I'll add it in the middle or at the end of a ride, but it's not worth it on it's own really