Richie's Rally....

Aug. 12, 2010, 9:37 a.m.

Just so everyone is aware, none of the trails require a DH bike. none of them are super burly. you could pretty comfortably do them all on a HT if you had to (comfortably may not be the right word, but its doable). Most of the trails off of the flank involve some climbing, so a DH bike would probably be a detriment anyway. a santa cruz blur LT would be the money bike for me.

Aug. 13, 2010, 9:26 a.m.

guys, this is Whistler XC… nobody needs a DH bike! You can ride all of it without pads.

Aug. 13, 2010, 10:15 a.m.

I've ridden some of those trails on my little ht.

No whining about not having a DH bike!

I'm working though, so no riding for me.

Aug. 13, 2010, 10:55 a.m.

i dont think anyone is whining about not having a dh bike.
a smaller bike would obviously be favorable, and more in the spirit of the race.

i think the point some people are making is that this race seems a bit contrived, poorly explained, and poorly advertised.

personally, i think its a good idea. we need more all-mountainy type races in the corridor, esp more super-D style races. crankworx enduro is a joke - barely any climbing, none of it technical, and far too short. i hope to be bringing a proper super-D to whistler next year.

Aug. 13, 2010, 12:17 p.m.

lopes is in apparently….and after riding all the trails said that we should just do High Society 3 times! too much whining, not enough just givin'er! I'll be there in the morning, it's gonna be fun! yeah it's a bit contrived, what race isn't? it's the first year, they know that they've probably dropped the ball on a few things, but whatever, it's gonna be fairly low key with lowish numbers, they'll learn and hopefully next year it'll be better!

Aug. 13, 2010, 1:24 p.m.

high society = the tits

Aug. 13, 2010, 6:15 p.m.

high society = the tits

oh yeah, big time!

Aug. 13, 2010, 9:42 p.m.

anyone know the trails so i can stay away from them tomorrow?

Aug. 15, 2010, 6:10 p.m.

anyone know the trails so i can stay away from them tomorrow?

hope you weren't the guy with the dog on billy epic!

Aug. 16, 2010, 6:15 a.m.

What's wrong with takin' yer dog down Billy Epic? I did it Sunday. I rode the 3 descents on Sunday. I only had to climb 3 times to do the 3 trails. I'm not sure why you had to go up 4 times to do 3 descents in the rally. I guess they started at the bottom and had to finish at the top. What's the deal ? That's what kept me out - 4 flank climbs in a morning. 2 or 3 is my max. A buddy did it but he's from the city and missed the Billy epic descent, just blew through to the 27 switchback descent. He rode around back to Alpine to hit it again, but missed Billy epic the second time as well. He gave up after that. Guess you had to know the way.

www.northshorebillet.com

Aug. 16, 2010, 10:37 a.m.

What's wrong with takin' yer dog down Billy Epic? I did it Sunday. I rode the 3 descents on Sunday. I only had to climb 3 times to do the 3 trails. I'm not sure why you had to go up 4 times to do 3 descents in the rally. I guess they started at the bottom and had to finish at the top. What's the deal ? That's what kept me out - 4 flank climbs in a morning. 2 or 3 is my max. A buddy did it but he's from the city and missed the Billy epic descent, just blew through to the 27 switchback descent. He rode around back to Alpine to hit it again, but missed Billy epic the second time as well. He gave up after that. Guess you had to know the way.

I don't know how one would've missed BE…I was one of the first people to leave and when we got up there it was totally flagged and Chris was up there writing down times and starting people. I had a blast at this event, it was super low key, nice to be able to dog it up the climbs, especially in the heat, and the 'descents' were actually pretty hard to ride at speed and the uphill bits really hard too…..love the concept of this event though and I think with some tweeks here and there it'll be really good.

Aug. 16, 2010, 10:54 a.m.

results?

hit 31o in the valley on saturday!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 16, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

What's wrong with takin' yer dog down Billy Epic?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I do it all the time, but there was some dude in there on saturday holding his dog whilst a bunch of us yahoos were racing through and he didn't look very stoked about it.

Three flank climbs was about all my legs could take. Even though the climbs were not timed, anyone with a good set of lungs had the advantage of not being bagged for the descents. I kept it together really well on Cheap Thrills and then crashed hard on an easy section of Danimal because I was seeing double and not braking!

Aug. 16, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

results?

hit 31o in the valley on saturday!

Men:
Ariel
Dingo
Wolsky

Think Richie pointed he was 5th when he called out the winners, that would have put either Dre or Arthur in 4th. I know Arthur had the fastest lap one time on the TallBoy.

Women:
Sylvie
Brook
Katrina

Grant said results would be up on Richie's site later this week.

Wicked fun event, these types of events are always fun, no pressure, get to hang with some friends. Big thanks to Whistler Brewing Company for hosting the apress. The food and beer sure hit the spot after a swim.

Aug. 16, 2010, 4:41 p.m.

So where was Lopes?