Recommendations for Whistler XC + bit of park bike?

May 17, 2013, 5:01 p.m.

Is this even possible?

I can't afford a new bike right now, and definitely can't buy two. I'm looking to spend somewhere near $1,000 for a bike that I can ride around the local trails and some easier bike park trails (if that's even possible).

I've been looking through pink bike and the local craigslist, but can't really figure out what's suitable.

I've never been in the bike park and I'm pretty new to the sport in general. For now, I'd probably be sticking to primarily XC trails, but I would definitely like to try some of the easier trails in the park.

I was riding an old hardtail dirt jump bike for a few days around the blue Lost Lake trails until I destroyed my rear derailleur on the first toonie ride.

I'm 5'10" / 140lbs, so guessing that's a medium in most bikes? My hardtail is a 17.5" FWIW.

What about something like this?
http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/bik/3810326169.html

Thanks

May 21, 2013, 4:29 p.m.

Bumping this thread as it was sitting in the mod queue for the last few days.

May 21, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Is this even possible?

It is if you're someone like Chris Kovarik, or that kid from Chromag who shreds it on a hard tail. If you're new, then I would highly recommend against something of the sort.

I thought I was gonna be more of an all-mountain dude until I tried the bike park. I sold my Remedy shortly afterwards and haven't looked back.

I'd suggest you go for the weekend, rent a dh rig and give it a go for a few days. You'll know what you want to do after that.

PS: I ride my pig for exercise. Think of it as high intensity training. Like taking a stationary bike for a spin.

May 21, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

a reign x could probably suit your needs, you can make it work if you have to, and I fully endorse spending time on non-bike park trails, they're a lot different and really good.

May 21, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

It is if you're someone like Chris Kovarik, or that kid from Chromag who shreds it on a hard tail. If you're new, then I would highly recommend against something of the sort.

I thought I was gonna be more of an all-mountain dude until I tried the bike park. I sold my Remedy shortly afterwards and haven't looked back.

I'd suggest you go for the weekend, rent a dh rig and give it a go for a few days. You'll know what you want to do after that.

PS: I ride my pig for exercise. Think of it as high intensity training. Like taking a stationary bike for a spin.

If he can barely afford a bike, he probably won't be at the bike park with any regularity. Just the maintaining and keeping park bike running is a financial hit all of its own (thinking of my own bent rear derailleur from yesterday at WBP).

Norco Fluid is (as far as I know) a decent all Mountain/all purpose bike. Some general caution about buying a Whistler-ridden bike - if you're buying used you want the bike that buddy bought and then left sitting in his garage for 2 years, and not from someone who hammered the daylights out of during the ride season, so ask questions and check it carefully for signs or wear and damage.

May 21, 2013, 6:25 p.m.

When I was first looking into MTB, I was looking to spend a thousand. And then…

May 21, 2013, 6:55 p.m.

How many days do you want to hit the bike park? If it's just a few then consider renting. It'll be easier on your XC bike and you'll have more fun. You're trying to combine two very different requirements into a single bike. If a wrecked derailleur is going to kill your budget then stay out of the park altogether.

Whistler XC is awesome and there is so much of it! That Fluid would be great for shredding the AM trails in Squamish, Whistler and Pembie. There are lots of great bikes like that now like the Specialized Enduro, Transition Covert, Rocky Slayer, Giant Reign, etc - there should be lots of those available used in your size.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 21, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

Missed a great deal on a Reign x0 by a few hours, but picked up a Kona Coiler in good shape a few days ago for $320. Good/bad choice?

I did a super quick ride near Lost Lake and I was surprised that it didn't feel noticeably heavier than my Opie while climbing. The downhill sections felt 10x better/easier/smoother obviously.

I have the feeling that I'm going to get hooked and buy a dedicated DH rig in no time, but fine with that considering how little I spent on the Coiler.

Going to throw some new Minions on it, pick up a full face helmet, then probably buy a pass. Was planning on just using my motocross armour for now.

Thanks for all of the advice.

May 21, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

I just wanted to spend $12 on a six pack of beer to try it.

You will find the money you need if it's your thing. Since you're new, you may not have heard this saying yet… "MTB: as addictive as crack but twice as expensive". I like to add "and four time as likely to land you in hospital".

Many a great rider has been made by doing time on a hardtail. Good brakes, tires and a tough attitude and you'll come out ahead. Try the bike park to see if it's your thing, and then decide if you want to sell your soul to the devil for a DH rig (incidentally I think you should) and use your hardtail for pedaling and building character.

May 21, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

I'd say the Coiler was a great buy for the money. It'll give you an idea of what you might want further down the line as it'll be fairly versatile. You might well get your money back on it when you sell it (if you don't wreck it!).

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 21, 2013, 10:23 p.m.

I was a little slow in posting and you responded before I finished typing. Looks like you're sorted. Nice!

May 22, 2013, 3:03 a.m.

try finding a used specialized pitch. with a light one and a bombproof wheelset you could ride most of the trails in the park and the valley by just changing the wheels. the frame itself is nearly indestructable and could be build up in the 12-15kg range.