Planning a Whistler trip from the UK for 2008?

Nov. 24, 2007, 6:19 p.m.

I'm not really missing the Bike Park to be honest. Yes, it's awesome but I didn't come to BC to stay in the biking equivalent of Disneyland for 12 months. In terms of mountain biking, I'm missing trails like PHD, Gargamel, Resurrectum etc more. Ultimately I think I'll miss the scenery on the Icefields Parkway more though. Feck that was awesome…

You did not just compare whistler to disneyland man? Like that is soooo wrong on so many levels and in so many ways. First whistler is not filled with retarded stuffed animals and little kiddling shytes running around.
Think of whistler like an adult playground where big ppl can be little ppl with the advantage of partying and drinking. :P

Whistler Bike Park Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:werd: :fruit:

Nov. 24, 2007, 6:43 p.m.

You did not just compare whistler to disneyland man? Like that is soooo wrong on so many levels and in so many ways. First whistler is not filled with retarded stuffed animals and little kiddling shytes running around.
Think of whistler like an adult playground where big ppl can be little ppl with the advantage of partying and drinking. :P

Whistler Bike Park Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmm…being herded like cattle in the lift lines while baking in the sun, what's not to miss?

My vote is for a guided tour in the interior with Bush Pilot Biking. There is so much more to riding in BC than Whistler.

Nov. 24, 2007, 9:28 p.m.

Whistler / Disneyland..

Right then….Whistler is a cardboard town with no soul / character / heritage and the locals are hidden away in a slum in Mt Currie getting pissed on meths. I'm sure people must be paid to drive around all day in a truck with a dog on the passenger seat to show tourists the 'real Canada'….I even saw someone driving a truck that had a sofa on the back and a dog sat on the sofa FFS, as already mentioned people queue for ages to get a sanitised thrill on carefully monitored 'rides', everything is expensive (except for the pitchers in Merlins but I guess most tourists don't venture that far away from the Boneyard..). The clubs there are fecking awful unless you like pretending to be cool while bobbing your head to some bland 90's hip hop (your head will be bobbing because for some bizarre reason you feel the need to wear three types of headgear at the same time, thus weighing it down…)

That's not to say I didn't enjoy my time there :lol:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 24, 2007, 10:39 p.m.

My vote is for a guided tour in the interior with Bush Pilot Biking. There is so much more to riding in BC than Whistler.

QFT

i'd do anything to do a tour with smoke - and i'm local. to anyone coming a long way to see what bc has to offer, i'd highly suggest it.

Nov. 24, 2007, 10:46 p.m.

There's plenty of awesome riding not far from his house.. 'Though I think he and / or the trails are shutting down for the winter nowish.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 24, 2007, 11:01 p.m.

i'd do anything to do a tour with smoke -

anything? I got to get myself into the bike tour business…

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 24, 2007, 11:06 p.m.

There's plenty of awesome riding not far from his house.. 'Though I think he and / or the trails are shutting down for the winter nowish.

i think the OP is looking for info re next july/august

Nov. 26, 2007, 10:57 a.m.

Whistler / Disneyland..

Right then….Whistler is a cardboard town with no soul / character / heritage and the locals are hidden away in a slum in Mt Currie getting pissed on meths. I'm sure people must be paid to drive around all day in a truck with a dog on the passenger seat to show tourists the 'real Canada'….I even saw someone driving a truck that had a sofa on the back and a dog sat on the sofa FFS, as already mentioned people queue for ages to get a sanitised thrill on carefully monitored 'rides', everything is expensive (except for the pitchers in Merlins but I guess most tourists don't venture that far away from the Boneyard..). The clubs there are fecking awful unless you like pretending to be cool while bobbing your head to some bland 90's hip hop (your head will be bobbing because for some bizarre reason you feel the need to wear three types of headgear at the same time, thus weighing it down…)

That's not to say I didn't enjoy my time there :lol:

Wow dude you are so bitter!?!?!?!??! Did you like get herpes in whistler from a really bad one night stand or something??? So now you're bashing whistler cause it apparantly has no soul. Fist of all Merlins sux cause we've been kicked out of there so many times for not even being close to drunk, so of course going to Merlins will make you think Whistler suxs. Or maybe you should come to Whistler when there are no tourists, I know its what sustains whistler's economy, but they also ruin the spirit of whistler.(NOT ALL TOURISTS BUT MOST). They come up there shoot ppl, act like they own the world, so upity up their A%[HTML_REMOVED] and stuff. So of course the locals retreat. But when its not tourist season then the locals have the place to themselves and then you really get to see the spirit that whistler has to offer:-
1) friendly locals
2) a lot of aussies and brits (who always win at drinking games)
3) friendly small town atmosphere.

Oh and about the sofa on the back of a pick-up truck, its called responsible drinking. See in whistler you don't plan to get drunk, it just happens, so in order for ppl not to drink and drive or pass out on their buddy's sofa they bring theirs along for the ride, just in case they get soo pissed one night they can't drive home.
Oh and the dogs name is buddy and he happens to like that sofa :agree:

Nov. 26, 2007, noon

The offer stands. Check your PM.

-C- watch out tom is really fast
(thank you Tom for the pre openning of crank it up with Cervo!)

was in heaven last summer whistler I'll be back:france:

Nov. 26, 2007, 1:06 p.m.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 26, 2007, 1:09 p.m.

Seriously though, I come from a town that was created around 800ad so of course I'm going to think Whistler has no soul. I like Merlins and have never been kicked out, despite having one too many drinks on occasions.. Go figure..

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 26, 2007, 2:37 p.m.

Seriously though, I come from a town that was created around 800ad so of course I'm going to think Whistler has no soul. I like Merlins and have never been kicked out, despite having one too many drinks on occasions.. Go figure..

I come from former Yugoslavia, it used to be modern but after the war it looks like its 800ad eh, more like 800 bc hahahaha just joking, but I kinda know what you mean though, the local spirit does go un-noticed. =/

Nov. 26, 2007, 6:34 p.m.

I've met lots of locals on the lift, on the trails and in town. I've never had any
issues with any of the locals. All have been great, from the bikes shops to the
corner market, wherever.

Whistler rocks, and so do the people. The lifties can be a bit bitter when they're
on the top of Garbo and it's late season cold and I'm like the only one that wants
to go up and ride in the cold/rain. Even then, it's not a "I hate you tourist" bitter,
but a "damn this cabin is so warm and it's friggin cold out there". I can usually
get a smile even then from them.

I think your experience there depends on your attitude. Same here, you show up
with a chip on your shoulder, paddle out and your going to get stuffed…every
time.

Not saying there are no a$$holes at WBP (maybe a few squirrely fu@ks;),
I've just haven't met them yet. For me two weeks just isn't enough. It takes
me about five days just to get back in the swing of things. After two weeks
I've just finally got it down. I have ridden some of the outside trails, and had
a fun time, I plan on doing it again.

To the guy who started this thread. Go to Whistler, unpack your bike, put it
together, ride to the guest services (walk bike through village), get on lift,
start off easy (Crank it up [HTML_REMOVED] Heart of darkness), do it again, and again and
again. After a few runs, you'll figure out where you need to be. It's a big mountain,
there are a lot of runs with very few people on it. The beauty is; if you do a run
and don't like it…so what, get back on the lift and do a different one. If you
want to pedal, there are trail maps, and lots of people both on the lifts, and
in the shops that will point you in the right direction.

If you go in August/September, pm me. Crankworks is busy as hell. I'm glad
I went once, but It was too busy for me. I like later in the season. It may be wet,
it may be dry, but it is less crowded and you might get lucky and they'll open
a new trail to ride.

Dec. 6, 2007, 12:21 p.m.

I spent 6 months in BC a couple of years back - my advice jack in your job - spend 6 months in Whistler. The boarding and skiing are awesome and when the snow goes the biking rocks.

Is Tom pro offering free beers and guiding for all Brits - I ll be there in July.

Dec. 6, 2007, 6:55 p.m.

I spent 6 months in BC a couple of years back - my advice jack in your job - spend 6 months in Whistler. The boarding and skiing are awesome and when the snow goes the biking rocks.

Is Tom pro offering free beers and guiding for all Brits - I ll be there in July.

Not sure about that, but I'm sure he can set you up pulling bikes off the lift…;)