Parking / locking up bike during Crankworx

Aug. 11, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

I've never actually been up to Whistler during Crankworx but am thinking about catching Joyride or the Canadian Open DH this weekend. Debating either doing a valley ride or doing the Creekside/Garbo thing 10-3ish then watching the pros. Two questions:

1) Is it even possible to get a spot in lots 1-5 mid-day on a Crankworx weekend? Don't mind paying.

2) Are the bike racks still out and available in the village during Joyride? Would want to lock my bike up while I watch, don't really want to lock it to my roof rack. Bike is not that nice so not super worried.

Thought about parking in Creekside and taking the bus in/out village, just not sure about leaving my bike there since I'm guessing it's pretty dead.

thx

Aug. 11, 2015, 3:08 p.m.

hike up the service road, lock bike to a nearby tree while you watch…wouldn't leave it locked in quiet places, probably more likely to be a heat score.

Aug. 11, 2015, 4:16 p.m.

I would feel fine about leaving it with a decent chain during the day during crankworx. theres so many people that any with bolt cutters or hacksaws would be noticed and beaten instantly

Aug. 11, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

We had three bikes out of our five stolen from outside a pub at Crankworks about three years ago.

Yes, they where new, expensive and unlocked… And we were drunk…

I know that we didn't deserve to get them back, but we found a guy with two of them walking down the street. He said he was taking them to find their owners! Fortunately, a cop walked past before five drunk Aussie bikers could ask him any more questions.

The last, a brand new Santa Cruz Bullit with XTR and Fox 40's (crazy build!) was found about a week later, in perfect condition on the side of the road.

As the owner of the Santa Cruz was back in Aus by then, I had to pick up the bike from the Whistler RCMP and send it to him.
But I didn't mind as I got an excuse to head back to Whistler for another weekend!

It was one hell of a way to end our month long North West bike riding road trip.

A VERY big thank you to the Whistler RCMP and the amazing person that turned in the Santa Cruz!

Aug. 11, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

Do they open up any additional parking during big events like Joyride? Like those upper lots on Blackcomb (that I think are normally closed during the summer)? I am planning on going to Joyride but can only arrive shortly before the event, and don't want to end up having to drive around for an hour trying to find a spot. Any idea where I should be able to park?

Aug. 11, 2015, 9:49 p.m.

Do they open up any additional parking during big events like Joyride? Like those upper lots on Blackcomb (that I think are normally closed during the summer)? I am planning on going to Joyride but can only arrive shortly before the event, and don't want to end up having to drive around for an hour trying to find a spot. Any idea where I should be able to park?

Those lots are always open, the walk down isn't that bad. The gondola always runs that day too for the cheese rolling event in the afternoon before joyride

Aug. 12, 2015, 4:16 p.m.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I do have a decent chain that would require large bolt cutters or an angle grinder to get through and bring a padlock or U-lock to secure it. Bike is a 2012 Glory that looks beat up so I think as long as it's locked in a busy area it will be fine.

Aug. 12, 2015, 4:52 p.m.

With all this said… anybody ever had a bike go missing from their hotel bike check? I'll be up for the weekend and I'm beyond paranoid when it comes to bike theft. I assume every hotel has its own policy on bikes in rooms? Perhaps the front desk people could be persuaded to turn a blind eye.

Aug. 12, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

With all this said… anybody ever had a bike go missing from their hotel bike check? I'll be up for the weekend and I'm beyond paranoid when it comes to bike theft. I assume every hotel has its own policy on bikes in rooms? Perhaps the front desk people could be persuaded to turn a blind eye.

We've always kept our bikes in our rooms, the only exception is at the Westin as they have a pretty good lockup and valet service. Front desk people sometimes give us a hmmm about it, but I usually just ask if they will insure our bikes for full replacement value in case of loss and they just say go ahead. My wife usually does all the hotel bookings and asks in advance and states we'll go elsewhere if we can't keep the bikes in the room. That being said we also always make sure the bikes are clean and dry and bring our own towels and blanket for the room floor and walls where they are stored.

Aug. 12, 2015, 5:16 p.m.

The Pan Pacific and Westin are good. Some are sketch.

Where are you staying?

Aug. 12, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

The Pan Pacific and Westin are good. Some are sketch.

Where are you staying?

yeah, give us the room number too and let us know when you're going to be out of the hotel.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 12, 2015, 9:08 p.m.

The only place I've stayed at that allows bikes in rooms has been the Whistler Village Inn [HTML_REMOVED] Suites. Some hotels like the Adara or the Aava the staff are the only ones allowed in the bike storage rooms. Some others like the Listel or Pinnacle, a person could just say I wanna get my bike, go in [HTML_REMOVED] grab anyone [HTML_REMOVED] walk out. I always lock my bike (and take the seat/ post with me) in any hotel bike room.

Thread killer

Aug. 13, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

i've had bikes in (what seems like) most of the hotel bike rooms in whistler. so far, so good. always use a burly lock within as a deterrent, for what it's worth.

Aug. 13, 2015, 12:26 p.m.

Thanks, feeling a bit better about the bike rooms now but I'll definitely pick up a burly lock instead of the cable one I have now.

Aug. 13, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

We had three bikes out of our five stolen from outside a pub at Crankworks about three years ago.

Yes, they where new, expensive and unlocked… And we were drunk…

I know that we didn't deserve to get them back, but we found a guy with two of them walking down the street. He said he was taking them to find their owners! Fortunately, a cop walked past before five drunk Aussie bikers could ask him any more questions.

The last, a brand new Santa Cruz Bullit with XTR and Fox 40's (crazy build!) was found about a week later, in perfect condition on the side of the road.

As the owner of the Santa Cruz was back in Aus by then, I had to pick up the bike from the Whistler RCMP and send it to him.
But I didn't mind as I got an excuse to head back to Whistler for another weekend!

It was one hell of a way to end our month long North West bike riding road trip.

A VERY big thank you to the Whistler RCMP and the amazing person that turned in the Santa Cruz!

Whoa whoa…wait a sec. Back up a bit. Did you say there are Australians in Whistler sometimes? I have never noticed!
:idea:

Wrong. Always.