Off resort whistler long and technical trails?

April 25, 2007, 1:30 p.m.

I was hoping people might be able to mention some of the best long technical descents(large vertical drops) in whistler valley. Or if not long, then the very technical ones? I know kyber pass is a long drop along with RDS? I know they do heli drops off of rainbow, has anyone ever climbed that from below?

also, in the other thread, people mention shore like trails (blueberry, sections fo train wreck). how are those.

thanks!

April 25, 2007, 2:14 p.m.

Kyber Pass actually ends up at the start of Babylon by Bike, one of the most tech trials in the valley, I haven't done it in a long time, but it is on the priority list for maintenance this year. I don't think you can climb up Rainbow in any way that would get you to the top in reasonable time to get back down. Plus you would be pretty tired. Jaws off Rainbow Flank is steep and tech, Industrial Disease is fun. Gargamel is long. Bintys epic. Most of these are accessed by long climbs, no shuttles.
As far as Train Wreck, unrideable at the start due to highway construction, XC type trail til the stunts at the wreck. Blueberry is a short connector trail from Blueberry and Tapleys.

mtbskierdad

April 25, 2007, 2:30 p.m.

one of the best parts about whistler is that there's almost no shuttle trails…..get yer climb on!

April 25, 2007, 2:32 p.m.

You can climb up to Rainbow via Bintys but it takes about 3 - 4 hours via that route and about an hour to get to Bintys itself. Almost no trails off the whistler park are not shuttlepig lazy fat ass friendly which is just fine.

April 25, 2007, 4:28 p.m.

You can climb up to Rainbow via Bintys but it takes about 3 - 4 hours via that route and about an hour to get to Bintys itself. Almost no trails off the whistler park are not shuttlepig lazy fat ass friendly which is just fine.

that sounds like en epic ride for sure to try once (and save 150 bucks from heli shuttle?) once a year (i live in southern Cal), we do a ride in palm springs, 8000 foot vertical pure hike-a-bike in 11 miles of singletrack, no shuttle options, it takes 9 hours to push up it.

April 25, 2007, 7:06 p.m.

that sounds like en epic ride for sure to try once (and save 150 bucks from heli shuttle?) once a year (i live in southern Cal), we do a ride in palm springs, 8000 foot vertical pure hike-a-bike in 11 miles of singletrack, no shuttle options, it takes 9 hours to push up it.

I'd take the heli over 9 hours of pushing….

mtbskierdad

April 25, 2007, 7:44 p.m.

I'll agree with whats been said about the rainbow and flank stuff. Lot's of climbing, number of technical descents to pick from.
The Blueberry trail thats on the map is just the xc connector trail. The blueberry trail that people have been saying starts at the peak of blueberry, which is pretty far above the main mapped trail. Not super tech, just hard stunts and some steep sections.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

May 1, 2007, 2 p.m.

As the name tells all. Long Long Long Long uphill but good downhill, like 26 km's or something ridiculous like that.

Any bike shop in Whistler will be able to give you details. or it is on the trails map of whistler

The Hardest Part about Rollerblading is telling your family your gay!!

May 1, 2007, 5:04 p.m.

Me and my buddies this summer were thinking about taking a day off from the park and riding Cheap Thrills. How does it rank on the list of Valley Trails? Is it worth it?

thanks,
SoCalRider

PS: Tomfahland, wouldn't it be nice if they allowed bikes on the tram!! That would make that trail a great destination trail.

May 1, 2007, 5:28 p.m.

Me and my buddies this summer were thinking about taking a day off from the park and riding Cheap Thrills. How does it rank on the list of Valley Trails? Is it worth it?

thanks,
SoCalRider

PS: Tomfahland, wouldn't be nice if they allowed bikes on the tram!! That would make that trail a great destination trail.

cheap thrills is a sweet trail for sure! super fun and flowy, some steep rock faces and cool ladders here and there….

May 1, 2007, 5:55 p.m.

would you be able to give some help with directions to Cheap Thrills?? Someone told me last year when we were riding A River Runs Through It. Since then I've lost those directions and can't seem to find anywhere on the internet on how to locate the trailhead and make it to the top.

Thanks for any help you can give,
SCR

May 1, 2007, 11:15 p.m.

would you be able to give some help with directions to Cheap Thrills?? Someone told me last year when we were riding A River Runs Through It. Since then I've lost those directions and can't seem to find anywhere on the internet on how to locate the trailhead and make it to the top.

Thanks for any help you can give,
SCR

pick up a trail map when you get to town from any bike shop or the book store…..it's on there….

May 2, 2007, 5:48 a.m.

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/images/maps/041607-wmb-Map.pdf

This will help.

Mountain Biking has given me the best friends in the world.

May 2, 2007, 6:18 a.m.

Industial Dissease is my choice. Old school tech trail with a good earn it to burn it ratio. About 40 up to 40ish down.

TomPro

May 2, 2007, 11:51 a.m.

I loved Beaver Pass, ripping fast under the powerlines, then into the nice woody rooty singletrack, even some skinnies, and it flowed nice, don't think you can ride it now though….

mtbskierdad