Non wbp ride suggestions

July 11, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

Hey all,
Arriving next weekend with the family and spending 3 days each in Whistler, Vancouver Island and Vancouver. I've ridden WBP, CN and lost lakes in Whistler. I've also ridden Seymour once from CBC to the bottom. I have a pass to ride one day at each area we are staying.
Looking for suggestions on must-do rides. I'm intrigued by Cypress. Also, a guy I shared a lift with last time highly recommended Pemberton. Never been on the island, I'm looking for natural gnar/rustc/primitive trails vs flow. Some decent mileage would be good, maybe 4-hr rides each. Just looking for stuff that's different from my dried out and flowy norcal trails.

Thanks!

July 11, 2016, 10:35 a.m.

In my humble opinion.
The best trails for what you are looking for in the STS are in Pemberton (after a rain day).
Go there! Hit Jack the Ripper, and just about anything else up there.

July 11, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I'd pick Seymour over Cypress. CBC is a classic, but rowdy and old school. New work on trails like Boogie Nights, John Deere, Forever After, Severed are too good to miss. Upper Dales probably has the best berms on the planet, too.
Too many non-WBP trails to pack into a day, but Business Time, Outthere, Howler, High Society won't disappoint.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

July 11, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

Here's a great interactive link to everything Whistler - Comfortably Numb, Kill Me Thrill Me, [insane] Gargamel, the list is huge…..

http://www.whistler.com/trails/bike/

And a slightly outdated version for Pembie:

http://pembertontrails.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PVTA-TrailMap_2014_Online.pdf

Happy riding!!

"I'm addicted to surfing."

July 11, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

Will definitely check out Pemberton. Are these trails pretty remote? Is cell service available? Tginking about bringing a PLB and maybe bear spray or is that too much?

July 11, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

There's cell service on most of the trails in Pemberton, maybe not parts of Jack the ripper. Doesn't hurt to be safe, but I never ride with either of those things, thinking about a spot beacon but I don't think I ever ride alone out of cell service.

Where are you going on the island? It's big ya know.

July 11, 2016, 2:03 p.m.

Unless you have crew to ride with stay away from Jack the Ripper.

If you want a good feel of what Pemby has to offer, ride up Happy Trail to Nimby, up Nimby then ride Overnight Sensation. After Overnight, go left pedal to Mosquito Lake, go to No Err then loop back and Ride Cream Puff. That would be a good 4ish hour ride and gives a good mix of Pemby climbs, tech and rocks.

July 11, 2016, 2:09 p.m.

If you want a good feel of what Pemby has to offer, ride up Happy Trail to Nimby, up Nimby then ride Overnight Sensation. After Overnight, go left pedal to Mosquito Lake, go to No Err then loop back and Ride Cream Puff. That would be a good 4ish hour ride and gives a good mix of Pemby climbs, tech and rocks.

I agree; do not try Jack the Ripper unless you have 1 or 2 people with you [HTML_REMOVED] are prepared. This is an all day major ride.

Thread killer

July 11, 2016, 2:12 p.m.

The Trailmapp Apps will make your life a lot easier. I highly recommend them. There's one for Pemberton, Whistler and the Shore, among others. The GPS shows where you are on the trail. For $10, it's money well spent.
http://www.trailmapps.com/

July 11, 2016, 4:38 p.m.

This is a good loop, you can make it longer by adding McKenzie Cruise which got some work done on it but its still classic pemby. Would add less then an hour to loop Mckenzie, climb back up Nimby and continue to Overnight Sensation.

Good Whistler tech loop would be on the West side
Climb Darwins, Pura Vida, Climb back up, Cheap Thrills, climb back up head over to Rockwork Orange/Korova Milk Bar/Wizard Burial.

The pemby/whistler app will also help with navigation for sure!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 11, 2016, 6:11 p.m.

I definitely want to get that RO/KMB/WBG ride in. It looks to be a good rip.

Thread killer

July 12, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

I definitely want to get that RO/KMB/WBG ride in. It looks to be a good rip.

Rode this on Sunday. Noticed WORCA (I believe) is putting in a new trail from near the end of Wizard back to Beaver Pass. It's not open to ride yet, but will be a nice climb back to finish that loop on Danimal N or back up to the Flank, Cheap Thrills, etc. Kudos to those responsible.

July 12, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

Rode this on Sunday. Noticed WORCA (I believe) is putting in a new trail from near the end of Wizard back to Beaver Pass. It's not open to ride yet, but will be a nice climb back to finish that loop on Danimal N or back up to the Flank, Cheap Thrills, etc. Kudos to those responsible.

that's called "A Cut Above", Stonebridge developers have just kicked in some money to finish it up, needs a few more bridges and capping on the rock work. Been a pretty long, labour intensive, project, mostly vollie nights

July 12, 2016, 10:09 a.m.

Add some Middle Earth and Rudy's into this.

July 13, 2016, 11:47 a.m.

FYI, Pemberton Music Festival runs 7/14-7/17. Depending on your dates in that area, you may want to reconsider driving from Whis to Pemby.