New trail near Karate Monkey?

June 22, 2010, 9:56 p.m.

ME TOO! :lol:

It's when you use it for other things that it's a bit of a worry. :lol:

June 22, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

Not a big a fan of wood myself , nor is most of my crew . That being said as Ian stated it is great to bridge wet sensitive areas or difficult terrain with no dirt . I also feel wood has a strong appeal to some people and has a long history in mountain biking , so I think it is important to keep that feel of riding and keep things diverse. I think the biggest problem with wood is builders usually try and get way to creative and complex with it , causing it to be not so flowing and the type of thing that is often a novelty item . I think basic is usually best. We would be building basic wood drops and maybe big wood deck for step up step down. We have some sweet wood berms up in garbo but the new trail will be mostly dirt single track . We will be replacing lower smoke and mirrors as that trail was built by a contractor many years ago and it was his first build . He did it solo , worked very hard by himself but we all know the problems it has . We will rebuild with wood , but it will flow . Keep in mind this build is not happening quickly, and the trail has been planned out with nc and no one is just randomly building this trail as stated by someone on this thread.

June 23, 2010, 12:06 a.m.

Do you think it will be open this season? And if so, when do you think it will be?

June 23, 2010, 1:57 a.m.

All sounds good except for the wood part. What's Canada's obsession with ruining a perfectly good trail by putting wood on it?

Cause it's part of sustainable building……

Also Patrol and Murph, you need not explain, if they don't like it it, phuk em.

WhistlerActionCams.com

June 23, 2010, 2:52 a.m.

I like having members of the trail crew on the boards!

June 23, 2010, 7:44 a.m.

Cause it's part of sustainable building……

Also Patrol and Murph, you need not explain, if they don't like it it, phuk em.

Yeah, I guess you missed everything after that post.

If someone doesn't like what you like, phuk em. Coz you've got it all figured out. Nice one brother.

I like having members of the trail crew on the boards!

Ditto. Nice that they take the time to share their perspective. They also speak much more diplomatically than STFU and ride what I build or GF.

I'd have added the pot stirrer emoticon in my apparently scandalous post, but there isn't one. Maybe a rock in a beehive would have been more appropriate.

I think dmurph pretty much summed up my thoughts on wood.

June 23, 2010, 9:29 a.m.

Just wanted to balance out the opinions. I LOVE woodwork. Favorite trail is Clownshoes. My goal this year is to get a clean Clownshoes run from top to bottom on camera. When I ride Crack Addict I try to stay on the wood as much as possible. I even hit the A-frame in the middle. Just wanted to let you know that a lot of riders like the complex woodwork that Whistler does so well. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the new trail.

Scott

June 23, 2010, 9:47 p.m.

I said I did not like wood and that is not all true , I just don t enjoy riding elevated skinnies and stuff that is to complicated. I like wood bridges , drops , jumps and berms when dialed in with good in runs and out runs. We have allot of other work to do and not many people to do it, especially now that garbo is opening. We were doing work in the area on aline so we banged off the landings on the way out. The wood work should be quick as the designs are not crazy.. I would like to just scrub in the single track in between and let in ride in much like samurai pizza. We will then buff it out over time. I will say this summer for sure , we work on it after maintenance and other more pressing issues but ya we are pretty stocked to get it open quickly.. new trails cut down on abuse to the other trails. Aline used to get so beat up before crank it up.

June 23, 2010, 10:28 p.m.

I would like to just scrub in the single track in between and let in ride in much like samurai pizza.

Nice, I like pizza cat a lot. Renegade too.

I like it when a trail gets beat down with little to no maintenance (except filling wheel eating holes). Got a nice selection of those around Squamish.

June 24, 2010, 3:25 p.m.

I like Samurai Pizza Cat but I think the last round of maintenance might be taking things to the edge of what's challenging. I used to find it challenging to ride clean lines fast in the rain and now I can pretty well rip that thing with no hesitation. The berms are at the point where the roots in between are almost inconsequential. It's fun the way it is but please don't buff it any more. :)

June 24, 2010, 3:28 p.m.

ya a little buffing is good but sometimes it is buffed a little to much. in my opinion.

June 24, 2010, 4:16 p.m.

All sounds good except for the wood part. What's Canada's obsession with ruining a perfectly good trail by putting wood on it?

It's how we control the Aussie population…

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

June 24, 2010, 4:52 p.m.

Pizza cat was designed to be a blue trail , in continuation of cougar and karate monkey , so we are just keeping it mellow. It was planned to ride in rough making it a little more challenging at first to please some of the more advanced rippers. Now that it has worn down we must maintain it as a blue as planned. I understand the need for more rugged single track as well so don worry we will brush out some planned black single track and let in ride in and stay rougher. We have one in the works as we speak but is more of a free ride, but also we have one being planned out in the crack addict area which we will keep a little gnarlier just not fall line like crack addict .

June 24, 2010, 8:49 p.m.

It's how we control the Aussie population…

:lol:

Doesn't look too effective.

I like Samurai Pizza Cat but I think the last round of maintenance… (snip)

I take it it's changed recently?

June 24, 2010, 11:20 p.m.

Some rock armoring and put a little wheel catcher on one of the off camber slick rocks. Chnages for the better and very slight.