Near death experience on WS DH

July 24, 2008, 6:54 p.m.

Tuumbaq, you're getting slaughtered! Ouch.

Thread killer

July 24, 2008, 7:07 p.m.

Tuumbaq, you're getting slaughtered! Ouch.

Oh, I think Whistler DH got first blood, this is just the hyena's eating the carcass.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 24, 2008, 7:21 p.m.

so you spend upwards and onwards (weight weenies) of 6k on a bike and you use it for the sea wall

July 24, 2008, 8:47 p.m.

Go ahead flame me if you want for being spoiled and a major wining asshole

Learn to spell whining, you spoiled asshole.

July 24, 2008, 8:58 p.m.

everyone who lives in whistler is spoiled and jaded

July 24, 2008, 9:02 p.m.

Oh, I think Whistler DH got first blood, this is just the hyena's eating the carcass.

:lol:

everyone who lives in whistler is spoiled and jaded

you're just jealous - i know i am

July 24, 2008, 11:30 p.m.

Tummbaq, glad you were ok. Did you think to mention said "pits of doom" to WBP, so that they could correct the problem, if a problem existed?

A buddy of mine smoked a steel post, mid way down on the left side of Heart of Darkness, last september. He cracked his helmet in two, was pretty shaken by the incident but was ok and rode out. Got in touch with the WBP folks (Patrolski) to let them know about the incident, and the post got yanked out the very next day.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 24, 2008, 11:42 p.m.

Learn to spell whining, you spoiled asshole.

I thought he was saying you were a winning asshole….my bad…

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 25, 2008, 10:31 a.m.

lower bike park is pretty shitty this year. even worse than normal IMO.

did one lap before hitting a quality trail outside the park from the top, and i won't be back.

i'd rather push/pedal and get 1 lap all day then do multiple laps of the garbage they have open. thank god most of you don't climb …

July 25, 2008, 11:46 a.m.

you can only please some of the people some of the time, you can never please all the people all the time…..12 trail crew covering 200kms of trail is a daunting task, especially when Fortress cut the budget, as I said the are being frugal about this mountain bike thing, that they know nothing about….

mtbskierdad

July 25, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

the trail crew are being worked like dogs, and doing pretty damn good considering……upper mgmt is the place to focus your frustrations….

July 25, 2008, 11:59 a.m.

I tend to do that at the hotel too, but don't get me started…..

mtbskierdad

July 25, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

1… especially when Fortress cut the budget,

With the amount of money that place makes I would expect gold plated roots and rocks. The sad thing is that smaller bike parks like Mt Washington, Sun Peaks and Silverstar win in quality of experience but are so far from an epicenter like Vancouver they don't see cash flow like Whistler does.
Everytime I go to these other resorts I see trailbuilders or evidence of fresh work on the trails.
Whstler trailbuilders just aren't getting the backup the need to maintain the trails.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 25, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

But What About The Shareholders!!!??!!

mtbskierdad

July 25, 2008, 12:28 p.m.

I am soooooooo pissed too. I was there last year, and did a step up, but I totally cased it and I canned myself. I mean, WTF why did the lip of the jump not make me clear it?

The increase in the cost of lift passes should give me more value. Every trail and jump should be easy, what are they thinking making jumps such that I could case it on my first run of the day!! Are they crazy? These should be built so I can ride them with out having to try, and I shouldn't have to worry about using my suspension.

On another note, I can't believe there are pot holes on a world cup downhill track either. WTF..I mean, 8" travel race bikes are meant for nice, meandering smooth paths, not race tracks.

Hopefully, with the increased cost of lift passes, they can afford to run a few black top rigs and hire a paving crew to take care of the trails. My extra cash should go towards Coquihalla type trails, not new trails, new facilities, more patrollers, more events, better trail maintenance, or any other type of word class type features that Whistler offers.

(all sarcasm aside, it was your first run down that trail, common sense and experience will teach ya to take it easy first time down anything, even if you rode it the day before. Things can change pretty damn quick. This biking thing can be dangerous)

I'm willing to bet the increased traffic on the trails is making maintenance difficult to stay completely on top of, especially when they are still cranking out (pun intended) new trails and getting the upper mountain conditioned after all the snow. Sorry to hear you wiped out, and glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Shit happens, it could have easily been a tree down after a blind corner on your favorite Shore trail that took you down too…its just one of the risks. :)